Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

6 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Here are the numbers for our other major recording spot, Williamsport.  Locked in as the #2 warmest winter in record keeping history at .8 above last year with one day to go.   Also of interest, the second graphic is an Altoona station that has records back to the 40's with this winter being the warmest ever or tied for it depending on any movement today.

image.png.52eb2c1ca53a1f8b4fb32509e0649f46.png

image.png.300860032734899cce4e52307fcc7d35.png

A couple of other locations in the northern highlands of the Commonwealth, with shorter PORs:

DuBois - Jefferson County Airport [elev. 1800'] (records date to 1962)

image.png.46b364e44e601c2de2cd07f857997c96.png

Note: No data for 1997-98 at DUJ, which admittedly would probably be in Top 10 otherwise.

Bradford Regional Airport [elev: 2100'] (records date to 1957)

image.png.3a0d7aca10291aaefa931a3bc7151a57.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

A couple of other locations in the northern highlands of the Commonwealth, with shorter PORs:

DuBois - Jefferson County Airport [elev. 1800'] (records date to 1962)

image.png.46b364e44e601c2de2cd07f857997c96.png

Note: No data for 1997-98 at DUJ, which admittedly would probably be in Top 10 otherwise.

Bradford Regional Airport [elev: 2100'] (records date to 1957)

image.png.3a0d7aca10291aaefa931a3bc7151a57.png

I'll be honest. Prior to 2022-2023, I wouldn't have even thought a winter mean this high to be possible at these elevations in northern Pennsylvania.

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Maybe the Euro is getting an early start on its warmer season over do's.  Summer 2023 Euro had no drought anywhere in PA. 

Another thing about that Euro run - really nice stout HP (1040mb) in a pretty sweet spot as the storm approaches. It just simply isn't cold enough...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Atomixwx said:

That Toontown graphic is going to be the Troll signal with only one of those winters listed being outside the last 25 years.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Speaking of toontown, a picture of this has somehow got WTAJ’s attention of putting up an article of whether or not this was a tornado around dawn yesterday morning.

image.thumb.png.89f818ce2e7567ae0b2bed3d6c08d8a0.png

https://www.wtaj.com/weather/local-weather/photos-was-there-a-tornado-in-altoona/

Blair County has had like 2 actual confirmed tornadoes within the county since 1950 and it shows haha. 

4 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Speaking of toontown, a picture of this has somehow got WTAJ’s attention of putting up an article of whether or not this was a tornado around dawn yesterday morning.

image.thumb.png.89f818ce2e7567ae0b2bed3d6c08d8a0.png

https://www.wtaj.com/weather/local-weather/photos-was-there-a-tornado-in-altoona/

Blair County has had like 2 actual confirmed tornadoes within the county since 1950 and it shows haha. 

Publicity stunt for the new Twisters movie! 

Seriously. A sequel to Twister... with nobody from the original aside from tornadoes? I get it, Paxton, Seymour Hoffman, dead, but Helen Hunt apparently pitched an idea that got killed, but how are you not going to have the Extreme have a kid who also just happens to end up being a red tagger?

I love Twister. I refuse this sequel out of hand.

6 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Seriously. A sequel to Twister... with nobody from the original aside from tornadoes? I get it, Paxton, Seymour Hoffman, dead, but Helen Hunt apparently pitched an idea that got killed, but how are you not going to have the Extreme have a kid who also just happens to end up being a red tagger?

I love Twister. I refuse this sequel out of hand.

I mostly refuse anything pitched on SB Weekend.    That would include this.  Also, can an independent actually win the Presidency?   SB weekend was full of stuff this year. 

Watching a blizzard moving into the Sierra is kinda cool - this is time sensitive, but below are 4 live feeds, first at about 8100', next is at 8900', then 9600', last one is the summit at 11000'. Note how the live conditions deteriorate as you move up in elevation and away from town - about 4 feet is expected in town with over 6 feet up on the hill over the next 60 hours:
 https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/the-village
https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/main-lodge
https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/mccoy-station
https://www.mammothmountain.com/on-the-mountain/mammoth-webcam/the-summit
Did I miss the village getting theirs? It still looks clear.

34 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Did I miss the village getting theirs? It still looks clear.

It has been snowing lightly on and off the past 90 minutes in town - there are multiple stream issues it seems. I checked about 30 minutes ago and it was showing as "live" but it was clearly night time. It's also been buffering a lot which is rare.

NWS Reno upped snowfall totals significantly - now calling for a minimum of 55" in town and a minimum of 80" on the mountain. Worst will be tomorrow evening through midday Saturday. 

It has been snowing lightly on and off the past 90 minutes in town - their are multiple stream issues it seems. I checked about 30 minutes ago and it was showing as "live" but it was clearly night time. It's also been buffering a lot which is rare.
NWS Reno upped snowfall totals significantly - now calling for a minimum of 55" in town and a minimum of 80" on the mountain. Worst will be tomorrow evening through midday Saturday. 
OMG.

Tonight

Snow, mainly after 10pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 26. Windy, with a southwest wind 30 to 35 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.

Friday

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 28. Windy, with a southwest wind 30 to 35 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.

Friday Night

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 20. Very windy, with a southwest wind around 40 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 22 to 28 inches possible.

Saturday

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 24. Very windy, with a southwest wind 35 to 45 mph, with gusts as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 16 to 22 inches possible.

Saturday Night

Snow, mainly before 4am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 16. Windy, with a southwest wind around 35 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

OMG.

Tonight

Snow, mainly after 10pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 26. Windy, with a southwest wind 30 to 35 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.

Friday

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 28. Windy, with a southwest wind 30 to 35 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.

Friday Night

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 20. Very windy, with a southwest wind around 40 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 22 to 28 inches possible.

Saturday

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 24. Very windy, with a southwest wind 35 to 45 mph, with gusts as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 16 to 22 inches possible.

Saturday Night

Snow, mainly before 4am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 16. Windy, with a southwest wind around 35 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.

AFD update this afternoon - we might have a triple digit snowfall underway on the mountain:

DISCUSSION...

CHANGES/KEY POINTS:

* Major winter storm on track to bring blizzard conditions to the
  Sierra, periods of white out conditions even for far western NV
  valleys Friday night and Saturday (possibly starting as early as
  the Friday evening commute for the Reno-Carson City area), and
  strong damaging winds region-wide.

* SIERRA SNOW: QPF/Snow amounts have increased if that is even
  possible. Now looking at 5-10" of liquid along the crest. Along
  with higher snow ratios, snow amounts will approach and even
  exceed 10 feet along the crest with multiple feet down into
  Sierra communities.
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

@Blizzard of 93 - what are you waiting for? Go see what Mammoth is all about. 

Or maybe you'd be bored? :)  

I’m sure that I would love it!

Instead, my family is going on vacation from March 9th & returning the 17th. We are going to Florida to see a couple of Phillies spring training games in Clearwater & then spending a few days at Disney.

I’ll be rooting for CTP snow from a distance, but really hoping the last 2 weeks of March can deliver one last Winter storm chance to track.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Instead, my family is going on vacation from March 9th & returning the 17th. We are going to Florida to see a couple of Phillies spring training games in Clearwater & then spending a few days at Disney.

I’ll be rooting for CTP snow from a distance, but really hoping the last 2 weeks of March can deliver one last Winter storm chance to track.

That's awesome. I hope you all have a great time. Our family went to WDW over a dozen times, including once when the MLB Winter Meetings were going on at our resort. Sounds like a fantastic trip! 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That's awesome. I hope you all have a great time. Our family went to WDW over a dozen times, including once when the MLB Winter Meetings were going on at our resort. Sounds like a fantastic trip! 

Thanks, this is our first family Florida trip. My 10 & 12 year old daughters are very much looking forward to Disney. Mrs. Blizz & I are excited to see Spring Training. I haven’t been there since my Dad & went in the spring of 94, the season after that surprising 93 Phillies team. We will probably have a little time at the beach as well in between the baseball watching. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Thanks, this is our first family Florida trip. My 10 & 12 year old daughters are very much looking forward to Disney. Mrs. Blizz & I are excited to see Spring Training. I haven’t been there since my Dad & went in the spring of 94, the season after that surprising 93 Phillies team. We will probably have a little time at the beach as well in between the baseball watching. 

Clearwater beach is pretty amazing.  You may not have time but so is this....get on a boat from Honeymoon to Caladesi.  Shells galore. 

image.thumb.png.bf023e3aecc40c5fba13f47efd8d3abb.png

Just now, Blizzard of 93 said:

The latest Euro Weeklies still offer hope for a potentially workable pattern for the last 2 weeks of March.

Maybe there still will be time to track one more period of Winter storm chances between St. Patty’s Day & Easter?

IMG_5396.png

IMG_5397.png

Temps look to possibly cooperate as well according to this run.

IMG_5394.png

IMG_5395.png

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Will you be in Sarasota at all? If so my fam has a new restaurant there that is excellent … 

7 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Thanks, but we will just be in the Clearwater area for a few days & then a few days at Disney.

Fair enough. 

if any of y’all are around Sarasota PM me. Also don’t get measles from the Florida antivax pricks. 

Fair enough. 

if any of y’all are around Sarasota PM me. Also don’t get measles from the Florida antivax pricks. 
I have family in St. Petersburg. I refuse to go visit because Florida is the third world mentally. Damned shame because Clearwater is awesome. Loved the Pier when it was still a thing.

• Like 1