• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

LOL, a "competitive" game was promised - the competition was who could hit 200 first. Even worse, if possible...the game actually regressed defensively as it went along. 
I just can't watch it anymore. Any all star game except for baseball, but they're money grabs so they're not going away. If the NBA wants to spice things up and generate some eyeballs, they should introduce prison rules for the All Star Game.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I just can't watch it anymore. Any all star game except for baseball, but they're money grabs so they're not going away. If the NBA wants to spice things up and generate some eyeballs, they should introduce prison rules for the All Star Game.

The lack of crowd "involvement" last night spoke volumes - there were long stretches of dead silence. People were bored. The product on the floor was an insult to Indiana basketball fans. 

i haven't watched a basketball game since i watched the movie coach Carter
I saw that one. I saw Samuel L. Jackson on the cover and expected Samuel L. Jackson things, and I've never been more disappointed.

Hey, Sam, more "motherfucker," less "sir."

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I saw that one. I saw Samuel L. Jackson on the cover and expected Samuel L. Jackson things, and I've never been more disappointed.

Hey, Sam, more "motherfucker," less "sir."

If you sit down and watch 10 random movies, 5-6 of them probably have Samuel L Jackson in them. 

If you sit down and watch 10 random movies, 5-6 of them probably have Samuel L Jackson in them. 
And this three minute video from Huffington post suggests all but Coach Carter have the word "motherfucker" in them lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sauss06 said:

i haven't watched a basketball game since i watched the movie coach Carter

MA forum talking about the President's Day Blizzard of 1979, which happened to also be on 2/19 like today. You are probably one of the few on here with me who might remember that storm...do you have any notes or memories? I was 14, and went to bed on Sunday night with snow falling lightly and about 1" OTG. Forecast was for 2-4". I woke up around 5am and there was a bush outside my bedroom that was about 18" tall...it was buried. Ended up with about 20" on a forecast literally that night of 2-4". 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

MA forum talking about the President's Day Blizzard of 1979, which happened to also be on 2/19 like today. You are probably one of the few on here with me who might remember that storm...do you have any notes or memories? I was 14, and went to bed on Sunday night with snow falling lightly and about 1" OTG. Forecast was for 2-4". I woke up around 5am and there was a bush outside my bedroom that was about 18" tall...it was buried. Ended up with about 20" on a forecast literally that night of 2-4". 

Unfortunately any records or notes i had were lost.  The only thing that sticks out is my dad NEVER missed work. When i woke up and came downstairs he was sitting in the kitchen. Said he said he attempted to leave but realized it was a lost cause. 

• Thanks 1

That’s a huge bust!

• Like 1

I still have a considerable snowpack. I'll shoot for five.

Disregard. The giant gaseous ball in the sky has taken muh snow.

New goal is 12.

• Haha 1

tmpday3.jpg

Here's the snowfall aftermath that I pulled - my sources for weather back then were confined to AccuWeather on the radio and my NOAA weather radio. There were no forecasts for anything significant...this was a wave of low pressure that absolutely exploded on the east coast near Hatteras. Storm movement of ENE spared the NE corridor - as you can see, the LSV was just inside the high impact area. 

This was a very dry snow with considerable drifting - how cold was it? I did not keep records at that time for temps, but DC's high that day was 15. So it was probably around 10 degrees during the storm. My dad measured a drift about 9' high in our driveway the following day. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

tmpday3.jpg

Here's the snowfall aftermath that I pulled - my sources for weather back then were confined to AccuWeather on the radio and my NOAA weather radio. There were no forecasts for anything significant...this was a wave of low pressure that absolutely exploded on the east coast near Hatteras. Storm movement of ENE spared the NE corridor - as you can see, the LSV was just inside the high impact area. 

This was a very dry snow with considerable drifting - how cold was it? I did not keep records at that time for temps, but DC's high that day was 15. So it was probably around 10 degrees during the storm. My dad measured a drift about 9' high in our driveway the following day. 

now that you say this, i kind of recall it being pretty cold and windy. did we have off school almost all week? 

15 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

now that you say this, i kind of recall it being pretty cold and windy. did we have off school almost all week? 

Yes sir - it was a scheduled 4 day week with the holiday on Monday. I sort of remember Tuesday through Thursday as being days we "should" have been off. By Friday roads had improved enough to probably go back, but at least our district decided to just start fresh the following Monday and gave us off Friday as well. 

• Like 1

did we have off school almost all week? 

You just threw your entire generation under an industrial-sized bus. We were told, at any time it was seen as relevant, that you lot walked to school in deeper snow and in colder conditions. Up hill. Both ways.

And now, after all these years I am to believe you may have missed an entire week of school?

I would say my entire life is a lie, but I think it's actually yours.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Ha. I  was just looking at pictures of it when I  lived in Glen Burnie, a few miles south of BWI, where 20" fell. I  was in my 3rd year of college.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

tmpday3.jpg

My father had this huge, portable Zenith radio that could pickup short wave along with am/fm. I used to listen to radio stations from across the country for forecasts.  A favorite at the time was WRVA out of Richmond.  This guy, Big John Trimble, forecasted a radio show at night starting at either 10 or 11pm for truckers out of a truck stop 2 miles north of Richmond on I95. He would give hourly reports from Dca south thru NC every hour. I knew we were in for it that night because he started to talk about how heavy the snow had become down there and then more reports from western VA of the same thing. The truckers would tell him of first hand conditions. I  listened to that religiously for storm info starting in about 1977-1983, including the blizzard of 2/83. Stopped in 1984 because we got cable and had TWC when it was still decent.

https://www.countryradioseminar.com/big-john-trimble

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

My father had this huge, portable Zenith radio that could pickup short wave along with am/fm. I used to listen to radio stations from across the country for forecasts.  A favorite at the time was WRVA out of Richmond.  This guy, Big John Trimble, forecasted a radio show at night starting at either 10 or 11pm for truckers out of a truck stop 2 miles north of Richmond on I95. He would give hourly reports from Dca south thru NC every hour. I knew we were in for it that night because he started to talk about how heavy the snow had become down there and then more reports from western VA of the same thing. The truckers would tell him of first hand conditions. I  listened to that religiously for storm info starting in about 1976-1983, including the blizzard of 2/83. Stopped in 1984 because we got cable and had TWC when it was still decent.

https://www.countryradioseminar.com/big-john-trimble

Great story, thanks for sharing. Us snow weenies back then had such few resources and we were totally relying on those resources for our information. It's interesting how you throw out names from way back then - my NOAA Weather Radio had 4 forecasters that rotated on-air...I remember 3 of them. (Dan Hurley, Russ Jordan, and Bob Kurl) Bob was the most animated and I would always get excited when he'd start off saying "Our trusty Brand X computer is showing a developing storm on the Carolina coast...this storm is forecast to strengthen rapidly as it moves slowly northeast along the east coast..." I couldn't wait for what was coming next for the forecast. 

• Like 2

Zenith radio[/url]

Funny you mentioned old radio. I've been listening to All Night Radio on YouTube for the last week since stumbling on it. This guy has digitally remastered hundreds of hours of old radio. It really was such a great medium of entertainment.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

You guys got Albedoman'ed 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Great story, thanks for sharing. Us snow weenies back then had such few resources and we were totally relying on those resources for our information. It's interesting how you throw out names from way back then - my NOAA Weather Radio had 4 forecasters that rotated on-air...I remember 3 of them. (Dan Hurley, Russ Jordan, and Bob Kurl) Bob was the most animated and I would always get excited when he'd start off saying "Our trusty Brand X computer is showing a developing storm on the Carolina coast...this storm is forecast to strengthen rapidly as it moves slowly northeast along the east coast..." I couldn't wait for what was coming next for the forecast. 

You're right about how certain things are ingrained in our memories.  In addition to WRVA, I  listed to KDKA in Pittsburgh, KYW in Philadelphia, WBZ in Boston, WCBS in New York, a station in Charlotte that had Accuwx then Greg Fishall (who may still be there), a station in Pocomoke City, MD south of Sby, WGN in Chicago, WFMD out of Frederick, and a small station out of south central PA that I can't remember the call numbers but it was around Gettysburg because they would always advertise Masey Ferguson farm equipment from a dealer in Biglerville. 

Of course, don't ask me what I had to eat last night because I  can't remember.  Lol

• Haha 2

You're right about how certain things are ingrained in our memories.  In addition to WRVA, I  listed to KDKA in Pittsburgh, KYW in Philadelphia, WBZ in Boston, WCBS in New York, a station in Charlotte that had Accuwx then Greg Fishall (who may still be there), a station in Pocomoke City, MD south of Sby, WGN in Chicago, WFMD out of Frederick, and a small station out of south central PA that I can't remember the call numbers but it was around Gettysburg because they would always advertise Masey Ferguson farm equipment from a dealer in Biglerville. 
Of course, don't ask me what I had to eat last night because I  can't remember.  Lol
You forgot the o in lol. That made that last sentence hit hard lol.

33 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

"KYW...News Radio...1060. You give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the world. Good morning, I'm Harry Donahue, our news editor is Lauren Lipton...currently it's snowing and 27 degrees here on Independence Mall. In the news at 8:00am, well, all you have to do is look our your window this morning...the Delaware Valley is blanked in white and there's plenty more to come. Elliott Abrams is standing by with more..."

• Like 2

I once wrestled a Serb called Milo Hrvakic, whose finishing maneuver was a shooting star press. He called it to "Albedoman," because he said it sounded Dalmatian in nature. Milo Hrvakic weighed 375 lbs.

Anyway, he hit me with the "Albedomen" which broke seven of my ribs. I kicked out, hit him with the Tamaqua Split ("Split" being Croatian chapped this dude's ass big time) and got my hand raised.

Screw Milo Hrvakic. Milo Hrvakic sucks.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I’m pretty jealous of anyone who got to live through those late 70s winters. All 3 of them. Likely never be a stretch like that again. 13-14 and 14-15 I guess came close, and the 3 solid winters out of 4 in the 90s.

7 minutes ago, TimB said:

I’m pretty jealous of anyone who got to live through those late 70s winters. All 3 of them. Likely never be a stretch like that again. 13-14 and 14-15 I guess came close, and the 3 solid winters out of 4 in the 90s.

The 1970s into the 1980s featured what seemed like a lot of Carolina snowstorms. I remember being upset so many times looking at a bank of cirrus while Richmond on south was getting plastered. Fortunately, we did have a couple of big hits. More memorable however, was the cold. We had some really intense cold snaps back then. Hell, the Chesapeake froze over to the point that vehicles were out on the bay. That thought seems like a pipe dream today. 

I'm sure that @mitchnick has better memories/experiences of the bay freezing than I do. 

Edit: Here is an article I found from the winter of 1977:  https://www.secretsoftheeasternshore.com/eastern-shore-deep-freeze/

• Like 2