Including the cities of Altoona, Huntingdon, Mount Union,
Lewistown, Mifflintown, Bedford, Newport, Harrisburg, Hershey,
and Lebanon
338 AM EST Sun Feb 11 2024

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING
THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 5
  inches possible.

* WHERE...Portions of central Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...From Monday evening through Tuesday afternoon.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the morning commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Rain will turn to snow through the night
  Monday night and early Tuesday. The storm track is now expected
  to be slightly farther north. This should allow the
  precipitation to stay rain for longer during the storm. Thus,
  snowfall totals are expected to be less than earlier forecasts
  for southern PA. The watch may be cancelled if the expected snow
  amounts continue to drop.

CTP refreshed the Watch overnight but did mention at the end that they may cancel the Watch if amounts continue to drop in southern PA.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

6z EPS & 6z GEFS still keep the LSV in the game for Advisory snow & still have Warning snow for the northern half of CTP.

IMG_5095.png

IMG_5094.png

razor thin edge for us on the southern edge of the reds and purples.  need a last minute shift south of 50-75 miles for me to feel "comfortable" with warning level totals.  

9 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

That’s a nice look to a quick rain to snow.

That dry slot does much of us in though the tail/ccb is still behind us at the end and it still snowing over parts of central and western pa at this point...not sure that "CCB" provides much if the low continues to move east and not stall.   Stil snowing East and North East of the LSV as well at this point. 

Capture.JPG

Long range HRRR snow.  Note is still snowing for most at this point.  In the LSV, if you are south of the turnpike its a battle most of the night.  North and west of I-81 and north of Route 78 turn over to snow most quickly
IMG_4292.thumb.png.5e1a572daf3904e30e1cbc7b9f9d68fe.png

I’ve seen it many times. Harrisburg has been snowing for 2 to 3 hours while we are raining waiting for the first flakes.

5 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Low of 44 here. I have always believed this to be a true central to northern PA type event and expect even further shifts to the north. Would put the over/under at one inch down this way and would probably take the under. As always, hope to be wrong. Happy Super Bowl Sunday everyone! 

Exactly, I usually tell the wife when snow is coming but never even mentioned this storm because I figured it was a nothing burger.

• Like 1

While today will be almost 10 degrees cooler than yesterday it will still be almost 10 degrees above average for the date. Cloudy today and tomorrow with rain arriving tomorrow after evening rush hour. The rain should mix with and change to snow toward rush hour on Tuesday AM with maybe a small slushy accumulation across some of the higher spots of Chester and Berks counties. Most of the rest of the week will feature more seasonable temps with Wednesday being the chilliest day with highs in the low to mid 30's.
Records for today: High 64 (1960) / Low -13 (1899) / Precipitation 1.68" (1983) / Snow 21.6" (1983)
image.png.94defc6c6a528ef20f5e0616e4a7548e.png

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

I would say this...models are changing rapidly now (maybe like usual though some don't agree) so still an event to keep an eye on.  On the MA board it has gone from blockbuster to "no storm let's move to the 24th" to back where it is one to keep an eye on.

Oh it’s wayyyyyy too early to praise or cancel anything- absolutely. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I would say this...models are changing rapidly now (maybe like usual though some don't agree) so still an event to keep an eye on.  On the MA board it has gone from blockbuster to "no storm let's move to the 24th" to back where it is one to keep an eye on.

That's why I  have a disdain for ensemble forecasting, short, medium, or long. They change as much as the operational, group think with the operationals, and are hit and miss like the operationals. And "yes", I  really do understand how to use them. The best you can say imho(not that anybody cares) is they are a little better in 7-10 days+ periods. The extended EPS & GEFS...lol.