Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

On the subject of winter grades and snow totals, MDT's normal snow fall for the season up to date (Aug on I believe) is 14.5" while their current total stands at 9.7", all of it coming in January.  If you assume no Feb 5-7th, miracle MDT will need over 20" of snow from Mid Feb through the rest of the season to break even.    Mecs or Hecs and we are probably there....a few 3-5" snows and probably not. 

Well said. We're going to have realistically about 35 days (2/15 - 3/21) to make a lot of ground. At least there are indications that it could happen. Like you said, it would be beneficial if we get a double digit storm to advance our cause. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

And if the upcoming advertised pattern change either doesn't happen or doesn't deliver, somebody is going to have to offer up a eulogy for Blizzard if 93.

The following occurs ever year: the day pitchers and catchers report, I check out on winter unless it is going to snow in a larger than nuisance volume. The downside to that is that erases my want for winter during the last part of peak winter, but I just can't get past the want for warmth and sunshine.

A big storm would supercede that want temporarily.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I resonate with this so much - I've been gobbling up tickets the past week for a whole lot of games this summer. The itch is real...

My concern is precip. All long range guidance I've seen shows a great trough in the east, +PNA, -NAO and dry. I believe it gets cold, but does it precipitate? I don't think we can just assume the stj continues to aim precip at us since the whole pattern will be changed from what we've had and looks stable thru early March. I'm not forecasting it will be dry, but nothing I've seen has AN precip for us and some guidance is well BN precip.

Always something. 

2 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

My concern is precip. All long range guidance I've seen shows a great trough in the east, +PNA, -NAO and dry. I believe it gets cold, but does it precipitate? I don't think we can just assume the stj continues to aim precip at us since the whole pattern will be changed from what we've had and looks stable thru early March. I'm not forecasting it will be dry, but nothing I've seen has AN precip for us and some guidance is well BN precip.

Always something. 

That has been a discussion on the MA board as well.    You concern is valid thought in the "who knows" realm I think. 

That has been a discussion on the MA board as well.    You concern is valid thought in the "who knows" realm I think. 
The CFS paints all of Feb as very very dry, as it has the trough axis too far east. Close enough where a couple of phases are certainly in the picture, but not a picture perfect pattern. Also the CFS has been horrid for awhile, even just 30 days in the future. In fact I think it's 90 day has been more accurate than it's 30 day.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, Jns2183 said:

The CFS paints all of Feb as very very dry, as it has the trough axis too far east. Close enough where a couple of phases are certainly in the picture, but not a picture perfect pattern. Also the CFS has been horrid for awhile, even just 30 days in the future. In fact I think it's 90 day has been more accurate than it's 30 day.

Yea, I hate to bring it up because it is so off...I like the fact that it might get cold at least.  As Canderson alluded too, we probably have growth this week and next.  The grass is already looking greener than it should on Feb 1. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, I hate to bring it up because it is so off...I like the fact that it might get cold at least.  As Canderson alluded too, we probably have growth this week and next.  The grass is already looking greener than it should on Feb 1. 

Soon...

#itsmowingtime

:) 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Always something. 

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It would be quite "unfortunate" if late Feb/early March features partly sunny, brisk days with highs around 40 and zero precip. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Is it just as green on your side of the fence?

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Soon...

#itsmowingtime

:) 

I am guessing I will be able to mow by the end of next week.    I probably will not but the grass will be there.  

Just now, mitchnick said:

Is it just as green on your side of the fence?

After a long drought, any moisture makes it feel alive.  Snow cover?  Alive. 

• Like 1

If it's dry all of Feb I can't even fathom the state of another forum

27 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

If it's going to be dry, it may as well be warm. My tank would be appreciative.

That's kind of what I was saying. I love cold weather, but there comes a point in time when it almost doesn't even "make sense" any longer. If it's March 1st, cold and windy as all get out with snow opportunities for snow on the horizon...let's spring forward. 

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I've been teaching a respect in the workplace class over the past few weeks here at work. I use this exact video to illustrate how to properly manage your own actions. LOL

That is the second video I posted recently that is in your HR training.  Sounds suspicious...maybe I work in Lanco?   If I did, I would think ahead to spell Chickees wrong so I am not caught. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 2001kx said:

Still some nice snow up in elk county at 2300'

Pics were taken yesterday 1-31-24

20240131_131819.jpg

20240131_131755.jpg

Yeah there's snow in the north country, but not much.  For those that enjoy it, no matter how much, a couple hour drive would get you some.  I was going to take sleds up for a rip around on top, but I'm old enough to not feel pressed to go in less than ideal conditions.  Hopefully in 2 weeks there will be better conditions.  Thankful I have the harley and sxs for my motor fix(s).

On 1/31/2024 at 11:05 AM, Atomixwx said:

Do we know the two who made the purchase? I'd be awful hesitant of any pride until I knew the fiber of the new head.

It could be a Rooney type whom everybody admires.

It could be a tight ass like Nutting whom everybody seems to hate.

Or it could be Dan Snyder.

I was surprised to see the Birds sell. Makes sense, gorgeous ballpark, rich tradition, team with the most upside in baseball currently and probably the largest open championship window (aside from the Dodgers and Braves), all of which make the price tag a nice amount. Have a shock losing season due to injuries or MLB screwing with the baseball and that valuation goes down a mil or two.

Now just have to win a playoff game.

Didn't take long - Corbin Burnes is coming to Birdland. We didn't give up a single top prospect to boot. Let's go.