Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

10 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Don't look now, but 18z Gefs showing 850 temps near normal at the end of the run.

gfs-ens_T850a_us_65.png

Good, as it has been mentioned by some on here, this looks a lot like the late December to first week of January progression that we just went through. The Winter storm chances should follow a few days later.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Talk about big snowstorms happening much more frequently lately  - MU just posted this today. Glean at your discretion...

Since 1926,

has only received 8 snowstorms of 18" or greater. Here they are! 

Jan. 7-8, 1996: 30.0"

Jan. 22-23, 2016: 26.7"

Feb. 16-18, 2003: 25.5"

Feb. 11-12, 1983: 24.0"

Feb. 5-6, 2010: 24.0"

Feb. 15-16, 1958: 20.0"

Feb. 9-10, 2010: 19.0"

Mar. 13-14, 1993: 18.0"

Great list!

March of 2017 must have just missed. I think MDT had near 18” for that one.

3 hours ago, mitchnick said:

Eps weeklies. Week starting 2/12 looks pretty darn good and it has been getting better for days. 2 weeks after that look great as well, but not quite the extent as this week.

webp-worker-commands-5f6448649f-l4sbm-6fe5cac1a363ec1525f54343b6cc9fd8-RVooMn.webp

The Euro Weeklies do indeed continue to look good beginning by 2/11.

Here is the snapshot for that single day.

IMG_4670.png

On 1/18/2024 at 11:00 PM, Itstrainingtime said:

Pardon one quick OT comment -speaking of games, what in the world is going on with the Flyers? I've been quietly waiting for months for the collapse...they just keep winning. This was supposed to be year #1 of a start over, build from scratch (in other words...a tank job)  but someone forgot to tell the team this. They are playing lights out and beating bad teams, decent teams, and elite teams. I'm almost as excited about them as I am about the weather. :)  

Back to snow talk! 

Can I just say that since I made quoted post this past Thursday night that the Flyers have promptly gone 0-3. LOL 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The Sunday snow chance showed some signs of life on the 0z & 6z models with a secondary low exiting east off of the coast.

We still need to watch for a possible rain to snow scenario.

IMG_4677.png

IMG_4678.png

IMG_4679.png

As I posted yesterday, this winter has wanted to bullseye DC/BWI, so I'll be surprised if there isn't a continued shift south. Though I  do think this forum will also benefit as well. Let's see if the atmosphere does have a memory. 

I lost a lot of coverage of my snow pack overnight - down to about 50% coverage. (more in some areas, less in others)

This raises a question that I have - what constitutes snow cover? For an official reporting station, at what point is it determined that they officially go from "no snow cover" to "snow cover" and back? 

Using my example...is 50% coverage considered snow cover? 

By the way, don't believe that the entire Euro suite is showing below normal snow in the Mid Atlantic.  0z 1/22 weeklies,,in fact, show AN snows in VA & MD for the 3 weeks starting 2/6. All of PA, save a small area, is normal'ish for 3 weeks per that weekly run.

sprate_anom_wkly.us_ma.png

sprate_anom_wkly.us_ma (1).png

sprate_anom_wkly.us_ma (2).png

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I lost a lot of coverage of my snow pack overnight - down to about 50% coverage. (more in some areas, less in others)

This raises a question that I have - what constitutes snow cover? For an official reporting station, at what point is it determined that they officially go from "no snow cover" to "snow cover" and back? 

Snow cover is disappearing fast!

12 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Snow cover is disappearing fast!

It really is. It's reached the point now where I wish it would all be gone. There's a point when it's melted so much that I'd prefer to clear the slate and start over again. I'm speaking for my yard specifically. I know @Mount Joy Snowman said he would have snow cover until tomorrow - I need to check out real estate in his neighborhood. :)  

• Like 1

A foggy day with the melting snow cover across the area. Some light rain or drizzle today with some steadier rains tonight through tomorrow night. Temps will actually rise through tonight and stay mild through Friday with temps possibly touching 60 degrees on Friday. Much chiller air will filter back into the area with more rain that may change to or end as some snow or ice by the end of the weekend.
Records for today: High 72 (1967) / Low 4 below (1930) / Rain 2.76" (1979) / Snow 3.7" (2015)

image.png.f8fe768020bf56b869c149f220088e04.png

4 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I believe snow depth is to be reported as an average.  I.E. if half your yard has 3 inch depth and half is bare you would report a snow depth of 1.5".  @Cashtown_Coop can verify

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It really is. It's reached the point now where I wish it would all be gone. There's a point when it's melted so much that I'd prefer to clear the slate and start over again. I'm speaking for my yard specifically. I know @Mount Joy Snowman said he would have snow cover until tomorrow - I need to check out real estate in his neighborhood. :)  

Yep, yard was full and solidly covered when I left for work this morning.  My backyard faces ESE but lies on a NW-facing slope.  Also have some tall trees around the perimeter that provide ample shade, but even the parts that aren't shaded were holding strong.  Tomorrow morning will be a different story ha. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1