• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2023/2024

bwt3650

This afternoon I received a text alert that we’d been put under a Winter Weather Advisory in association with the approaching system that has been given the name Winter Storm Finn. Our point forecast suggests accumulations in the 4-8” range through Tuesday night, and the Storm Total Snowfall Forecast map has us in that yellow 6-8” shading, so those seem in general agreement. The current maps are posted below:

08JAN24A.jpg.4c1f9999756fc2db17bdf59fde315324.jpg

08JAN24B.thumb.jpg.fdbc532bac77646035ebfbec1e58a62e.jpg

There’s been a bit of a bump in what the BTV NWS has for projected snowfall accumulations with their latest update – I see that some of that 8-12” shading has made its way onto the map, and our point forecast there in the valley has also gone up. Updated BTV NWS maps are below:

09JAN24A.jpg.f23e1a24fd6caa058b85e0c30438576f.jpg

09JAN24B.thumb.jpg.08b8460125089950504bf7f68a5928b6.jpg

• Like 1

What a wild place you live in.  I have been paying attention to your measurements for years but especially since I lived in the Village from 2015-2018, and since I've live on Gregg Hill at 820ft since 2019.   In the village I never beat you, you always had more.  But since 2019 at GH in a few elevation events I beat you handily, but I do see looking at point forecasts that they are calling for 3-7 for me and 4-8 for you.  Of course my old village location shows 4-8 too.  Snowing nicely out there right now that's for sure and we are nowhere near the meat for a few hours.,  The microclimates of Vermont intrigue me.  The Garfield Section of Hyde Park/Moville/Wolcott the most.  Its a magical place

Feeling pretty good right now with over an inch already down and moderate bordering on heavy snow.  Generally seems like net gain is on the way for snowpack with more limited rain impacts. This snow is going to load up the trees significantly just in time for arrival of fierce winds, so major power impacts seem very likely. 

1 hour ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

Feeling pretty good right now with over an inch already down and moderate bordering on heavy snow.  Generally seems like net gain is on the way for snowpack with more limited rain impacts. This snow is going to load up the trees significantly just in time for arrival of fierce winds, so major power impacts seem very likely. 

I agree, I dont see that much rain behind this.  Especially with elev.  Mtns will do good.  That wind in the middle of the night will be interesting.  Hope I sleep through it and wake up safe and sound :)  I love a storm where you can actually see it accumulate.  And that's happening now

Full on blizzard conditions in Bretton Woods. I had to drive home from North Conway. I said a lot of prayers. I honestly was so scared. Couldn't see the road at all. And I drove that for over an hour and made it through Crawford Notch. The wind is swirling and making snownadoes and just giant snow swirls. The snow is accumulating in speed bump like structures on the road so drive was super bumpy. At times I had to in the road and wait for a tiny amount of visibility to come back. Most of the time I could only see about 5 feet in front of me, and then I had a few moments of absolute zero visibility where I just stopped and had to wait because the visibility had dropped to zero.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Full on blizzard conditions in Bretton Woods. I had to drive home from North Conway. I said a lot of prayers. I honestly was so scared. Couldn't see the road at all. And I drove that for over an hour and made it through Crawford Notch. The wind is swirling and making snownadoes and just giant snow swirls. The snow is accumulating in speed bump like structures on the road so drive was super bumpy. At times I had to in the road and wait for a tiny amount of visibility to come back. Most of the time I could only see about 5 feet in front of me, and then I had a few moments of absolute zero visibility where I just stopped and had to wait because the visibility had dropped to zero.

I had a similar drive here earlier,.only mine was like 5-10 minutes..lol. But it was nasty out there for sure..hard to see anything. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dmcginvt said:

I dont care if it changes to rain, these snowfall rates I am seeing right now are worth it.  It's just silly and presumably early still.  2/14/2007 is the only time that comes close.  It's snowing so hard.  

I agree. Even if we wake up to grass, this storm is a winner in my book. Just awesome to watch. Not to drive in though @#NoPoles

• Haha 1

Had a quick inch of snow followed by some sleet and now flipped to liquid in the west side foothills.  Our house is very exposed to the SE so I don't love these big downslope wind events.  Happy the white pines are all on the lee side at least.

4 minutes ago, Froude said:

Had a quick inch of snow followed by some sleet and now flipped to liquid in the west side foothills.  Our house is very exposed to the SE so I don't love these big downslope wind events.  Happy the white pines are all on the lee side at least.

Similar down here..full exposed to the SE. I'm only like 500ft feet from the spine though, so it just races down during bad events.  So far, not too bad, just lows 40s gust.

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Had 7” on the ground at the base of the mountain.  Grooming said 8-9” at midnight but 7” was the morning observation.  Seemed pretty similar in town but more like 6.5” at 4:30am.  Peaked at like 7.5”.

IMG_7429.jpeg.71b56234979cc84ded121605ecc0c363.jpeg
IMG_7428.jpeg.725b39772d360a1c9982e47620a3dcf4.jpeg

These storms aren't exactly an ideal scenario for immediate skiing enjoyment but do wonders for the base/tree skiing as we head into the meat of the season. Looking forward to a carbon copy this weekend. Throw some orographic snow on top and we're in business. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

These storms aren't exactly an ideal scenario for immediate skiing enjoyment but do wonders for the base/tree skiing as we head into the meat of the season. Looking forward to a carbon copy this weekend. Throw some orographic snow on top and we're in business. 

Yeah, especially as it changed back to snow above 2,000ft back at around 9am.  3,000ft saw a net gain of 10" of water soaked snow.

This will freeze and essentially raise the base level a full 10 inches for any future snows to fall on at upper mountain terrain (2500-4000ft).  A thick layer of concret.

• Like 1