• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
REMINDER: Annular Solar Eclipse (Partial Locally) | October 14

Kmlwx

Didn't see a dedicated thread - so this may have been mentioned in the obs or banter threads. 

October 14th will feature a partial annual solar eclipse in our area. A full-on annual eclipse will be visible in other parts of the country. Too far out to estimate cloud cover at this time but GFS is promising for having the sun out that day at this range. 

I'll be trying to get a few crude pics with my telescope and solar filter! Don't forget to use solar filter glasses if you're viewing it - not safe without! 

Maximum IMBY will be around 1:18pm ET that day.

SE2023Oct14A.GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Looks like that is close to Jebman!

I would chase it if I still lived out West, in northern CA. Drive up north of Ashland, on the beautiful coast. 

Wait until the April 2024 one. Annual Eclipses never get pitch black. Still cool and such - but probably not worth the crowds. Somebody describe Annular Eclipses as similar to going to see your favorite band and leaving after the support band before your band ever takes the stage. 

I would go to central or southeast Utah for good chances of clear skies given the predicted pattern (dry s.e. flow), also note it would be quite early in day in western OR (about 0920 PDT) and closer to 1100h in mountain daylight time zone in Utah. The visual effect would be interesting over areas of colored rocks too. I realize this is an annular eclipse or a "ring of fire" event. Would recommend trying for April 8, 2024 total eclipse after seeing August 2017 event in Oregon. 

17 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

I would go to central or southeast Utah for good chances of clear skies given the predicted pattern (dry s.e. flow), also note it would be quite early in day in western OR (about 0920 PDT) and closer to 1100h in mountain daylight time zone in Utah. The visual effect would be interesting over areas of colored rocks too. I realize this is an annular eclipse or a "ring of fire" event. Would recommend trying for April 8, 2024 total eclipse after seeing August 2017 event in Oregon. 

We are headed to central TX for the April one. Was just SE of Maryville TN for the last one, awesome event! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WEATHER53 said:

Even with cloudy skies, won’t it get a bit darker still?

Might be discernable to a solar sensor - not sure it'll be detectable in dreary conditions to the naked eye here in Maryland. Perhaps down in Texas and similar spots. Less than 50% will be obscured here. Even in places like Texas - it won't be a pitch black darkness eclipse since part of the disk will still be uncovered (ring of fire). 

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

Might be discernable to a solar sensor - not sure it'll be detectable in dreary conditions to the naked eye here in Maryland. Perhaps down in Texas and similar spots. Less than 50% will be obscured here. Even in places like Texas - it won't be a pitch black darkness eclipse since part of the disk will still be uncovered (ring of fire). 

I’m thinking if it does dim some that around us itvwould be between 2-3pm?

2 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Ok so if going to be perceptible then should be underway soon 

Recall that in 2017, I believe in the DC area it was like 80%+ total. This will be like 30% locally. So whatever perceived darkness people felt here (I was in SC for that) - it will be much less than that. 

The light outside looks off. It looks as if there are cirrostratus clouds over the sun but it is clear as a bell. You can watch live broadcasts of the eclipse on nasa online. It's really intriguing. Never try to look at a solar eclipse with your naked eye. Can't wait for April 8th next year. We are gonna be 100% with that puppy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cloudy for the duration here, could see sun's disk briefly with suggestion of a crescent moon sort of appearance, and light here became very dim for about 20 minutes near 80% peak coverage at about 0935 PDT. Interesting but a non-aware person probably didn't think much was happening, the daylight decreased to about what you might expect around sunset on a cloudy day in December. We tried for pictures but nothing worth posting. Probably a fabulous view of the ring of fire in at least some parts of UT and NV based on satellite imagery.

• Like 1