Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

The Alchemist

13 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Back up to 28.

28.4/20.8, wetbulb keeps going down, now at 25.9.  Will be interesting to see how long we hold off the warm nose and then the plain rain.  Not expecting anything more than a few flakes that go quickly to sleet for a bit then a quick glaze before a nasty, cold, wet day tomorrow.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

It's not that much but this would be amazing. Too bad it's the HRRR. A lot of this would be sleet

snku_acc-imp.us_ma (15).png

Don't think Morganton going to do that well at all.  Thought about going down to South Mountain but idk.  

4 minutes ago, mercurydime said:

I remain fascinated about the consistent temp difference between @wncsnowand me.  We're only a very short distance apart,  and I'm probably 300'+ in elevation difference. 

I've crept up to 35 in the last hour.  He was at 29 when I was ~33. 

I'm 32 now. So about 3 degrees cooler. I was 15 this morning, how about you? My dad lives on Ashworth road and is usually 2 or 3 degrees warmer on calm nights too. 

Just now, BretWx said:

Sitting at 32/32 here. Rates are keeping accumulation low. Looks like just over a tenth of an inch or so.

About the same here. A couple more degrees and it would have been bad.  We can't even win at getting ice anymore 

• Like 5

I think I’ve been “burned” by the models over ice storms a dozen times over the last ten years. I’m just always going to assume they’re overdoing it. Something’s changed to where ice just doesn’t happen here anymore

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, westmc9th said:

I think I’ve been “burned” by the models over ice storms a dozen times over the last ten years. I’m just always going to assume they’re overdoing it. Something’s changed to where ice just doesn’t happen here anymore

We don't get as many true CAD highest anchored in the NE and the Atlantic and Gulf waters are torching which leads to stronger warm noses. That's my theory at least.

• Like 2

Yeah I can't remember the last time ice was accurately modeled in my location. Either it busts warm like last night, or the surface cold ends up just deep enough to support mostly sleet. The latter has been a saving grace several times in the last 10-20 years for me, while just to my south they have had some devastating ice storms.