• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Autumn 2023

@Mount Joy Snowman - as promised, an open challenge to you:

@sauss06 and I completed the heavy load for the 2023 PSU football season. We "suffered" through all kinds of inclement weather on Saturday/Saturday night and brought home with us a rousing W. Someone had to do it...we were willing, able, and successful. And you're welcome for keeping the BCS playoff hopes alive...

And now, Snowman, it's up to you. The next game looms just 5 days away in Evanston. The current forecast is for hazing, I mean sunny skies with temps in the low 70s. Pretty much a spectacular fall day in the Windy City 'burbs. Do not f*ck this up! It's going to be a great high school atmosphere, an early kick, and this game has letdown written all over it. Light a fire in their rumps and get us a win. That's your mission...a win. A solid, convincing win. Don't come home without it. We got UMASS lurking and we must have this one! 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

@sauss06 and I completed the heavy load for the 2023 PSU football season. We "suffered" through all kinds of inclement weather on Saturday/Saturday night and brought home with us a rousing W. Someone had to do it...we were willing, able, and successful. And you're welcome for keeping the BCS playoff hopes alive...

And now, Snowman, it's up to you. The next game looms just 5 days away in Evanston. The current forecast is for hazing, I mean sunny skies with temps in the low 70s. Pretty much a spectacular fall day in the Windy City 'burbs. Do not f*ck this up! It's going to be a great high school atmosphere, an early kick, and this game has letdown written all over it. Light a fire in their rumps and get us a win. That's your mission...a win. A solid, convincing win. Don't come home without it. We got UMASS lurking and we must have this one! 

We for sure took one for the team. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Haha oh man, so so good.  Well done sir.  Great nod to the hazing.  Well, if we lose to Northwestern in that vaunted high school atmosphere the issues will be way deeper than any mojo my crew and I can overcome.  You know, we never leave games early, but are actually hoping to do so for this one so we can get a jump on the day driving into Chicago.  For that reason, we're really hoping this one is a blowout long before the mid-4th quarter.  We're spending Saturday night in downtown Chicago (the River North District) and let's just say the boys are looking forward to that a wee bit more than our time in Evanston haha.  Most of the top bars, to the extent there are any, in Evanston list a closing time on Friday nights of 10ish.  Not kidding.  It's definitely the nerdy wine'n'cheese crowd of the B10.  Nothing wrong with that, it's just who they are.  The one thing we were looking forward to was tailgating on the golf course but even that is a no-go now as the golf course is under construction and there is no tailgating on it for just this year.  Instead, we'll likely be tailgating alone in some paved lot on campus over a mile away from the stadium.  Let's just say this trip is more of the "cross it off the list variety", ala Purdue, than it is some great destination.  Now, our night in Chicago, that's a different story ha.  But you are right, the weather looks spectacular!  Departing in 93 hours, but who's counting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Haha oh man, so so good.  Well done sir.  Great nod to the hazing.  Well, if we lose to Northwestern in that vaunted high school atmosphere the issues will be way deeper than any mojo my crew and I can overcome.  You know, we never leave games early, but are actually hoping to do so for this one so we can get a jump on the day driving into Chicago.  For that reason, we're really hoping this one is a blowout long before the mid-4th quarter.  We're spending Saturday night in downtown Chicago (the River North District) and let's just say the boys are looking forward to that a wee bit more than our time in Evanston haha.  Most of the top bars, to the extent there are any, in Evanston list a closing time on Friday nights of 10ish.  Not kidding.  It's definitely the nerdy wine'n'cheese crowd of the B10.  Nothing wrong with that, it's just who they are.  The one thing we were looking forward to was tailgating on the golf course but even that is a no-go now as the golf course is under construction and there is no tailgating on it for just this year.  Instead, we'll likely be tailgating alone in some paved lot on campus over a mile away from the stadium.  Let's just say this trip is more of the "cross it off the list variety", ala Purdue, than it is some great destination.  Now, our night in Chicago, that's a different story ha.  But you are right, the weather looks spectacular!  Departing in 93 hours, but who's counting.

Well, I hope you all have a fun, safe trip and enjoy your time in Chicago. I've been out a few times for baseball weekends at Wrigley and I've enjoyed myself immensely. And sometimes our greatest memories come from experiences that we don't think will live up to others. Hopefully Saturday night isn't "too fun" or that 11am kick might become an issue...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Well, I hope you all have a fun, safe trip and enjoy your time in Chicago. I've been out a few times for baseball weekends at Wrigley and I've enjoyed myself immensely. And sometimes our greatest memories come from experiences that we don't think will live up to others. Hopefully Saturday night isn't "too fun" or that 11am kick might become an issue...

Seriously? I have noon on my calendar 

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Thanks so much.  Very true.  Friday night is in Evanston so the 11am kickoff shouldn't be too big of a problem.  We were actually saying the weak bar scene and early closing times is a blessing in disguise, as it should keep us decent for Saturday morning tailgating.  Now, Sunday morning and the long drive home after a raucous night in Chi-town, that's another story haha. 

9 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

Seriously? I have noon on my calendar 

11am Central time.  So, we'll have to be on our way to the stadium by like 10:15 ugh.  All the more reason to start tailgating early!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Porsche, where in Lancaster are you?  That seems almost impossibly low from everythig I've looked at. 

I'm in New Holland, and I have my gauge setup and I've thought it was very low too.  Saturday into Sunday I only measured .16 and most of the day Saturday it was dry from about mid morning on.  I've wondered  if my gauge handing on a poll is impacting totals, but yesterday I did measure .70.  IDK

9-24.PNG

9-25.PNG

20 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Thanks so much.  Very true.  Friday night is in Evanston so the 11am kickoff shouldn't be too big of a problem.  We were actually saying the weak bar scene and early closing times is a blessing in disguise, as it should keep us decent for Saturday morning tailgating.  Now, Sunday morning and the long drive home after a raucous night in Chi-town, that's another story haha. 

11am Central time.  So, we'll have to be on our way to the stadium by like 10:15 ugh.  All the more reason to start tailgating early!

Duh! Not sure how I got confused with an 11am game on Saturday morning and the revelry that unfolds on Saturday night. LOL

8 minutes ago, Porsche said:

I'm in New Holland, and I have my gauge setup and I've thought it was very low too.  Saturday into Sunday I only measured .16 and most of the day Saturday it was dry from about mid morning on.  I've wondered  if my gauge handing on a poll is impacting totals, but yesterday I did measure .70.  IDK

Thanks for the response.  I saw someone from New Holland reported .88" on Cocorahs and thought that might be you.  Yeah, it seems like your gauge wasn't accumulating correctly for this event.  I wonder if it may have been due to the northeast direction of the wind, which is pretty atypical for us, and the rain shadows that could be created from any objects or high trees to the northeast of the gauge.  I know I moved my manual gauge for this event for that very reason (too many tall pines to the north and east).  The light to moderate rain that was falling for long periods was really impacted by the breeze and coming in at a nice angle.  If your gauge is attached directly to a pole and not above the pole, I wonder if the pole itself was proving to be a mini rain shadow and limiting accumulation in the gauge.  What direction is the pole relative to your gauge?  Sorry, I think about this stuff way too much, feel free to ignore me haha. 

Hey I appreciate it, I'm glad you mentioned something!  It's actually facing north west.  You can see where I have the 1st picture listed with a "P" and that is where it was hanging which would have been facing south, hence the possible rain shadow from the NW.  The other picture is where I had it last year before the fencing got removed, (which I believe is a more ideal location".  What are your thoughts?

InkedIMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

With 5 days left in the month, the coldest temperatures observed so far are among the absolute warmest on record for the month of September across much of the Commonwealth. Frosty weather has been missing in action, even across the highest of elevations.

Williamsport

image.png.dee7aa4684f6063fef0555856425afe2.png

Bradford

image.png.bc015bd46e1b7bf13a05339d179f5651.png

DuBois

image.png.8d2bb4a6dd9272aed96acc17227f6ce0.png

Harrisburg/Middleton

image.png.7cdb46eba50c869acd05a613093e1457.png

Mount Pocono

image.png.cd38766fe043848f26636e676acb2621.png

Philadelphia

image.png.62d6c9cb0804c699a8e93c467abd8ec6.png

Scranton

image.png.fa79198aa2aa598139fb21bb0c133c02.png

2 minutes ago, Porsche said:

Hey I appreciate it, I'm glad you mentioned something!  It's actually facing north west.  You can see where I have the 1st picture listed with a "P" and that is where it was hanging which would have been facing south, hence the possible rain shadow from the NW.  The other picture is where I had it last year before the fencing got removed, (which I believe is a more ideal location".  What are your thoughts?

InkedIMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

Okay yeah this makes sense.  When the wind is potent enough, you are almost certainly getting some significant rain shadow from being attached directly to that pole.  That second pic of it being attached with the opening above the fence line is ideal.  That's the tricky thing about those manual cylinder gauges, is finding a perfect spot for them.  Believe me, I know, I still haven't found a permanent home for mine at our new house.  I just manually move it around ha, and have an automated gauge as backup.  The main thing though is to have them attached so the collection cylinder is above the object it is attached to (like you had with the fence), rather than being blocked by the object to which it is attached.  This is total weenie stuff haha.

We have recorded a 3 day total of 3.29" of rain so far here in East Nantmeal. Some more light rain an drizzle is possible especially late this PM and evening. The sun should return for Wednesday and Thursday with the next chance of showers by Thursday night into Friday. Low temperatures both Tuesday and Wednesday night should be in the below normal 40's. The last 11 days have featured below normal temps and this looks to continue through the last day of the month which is Saturday.
Records for today: High 93 (1970) / Low 34 (1983) / Rain 3.00" (1940)
image.png.d2c51f7dca5276ef6ce15c919349bb22.png
  • Like 1

Also, of note, on yesterday's date 73 years ago, Black Sunday occurred in the Commonwealth. When I was looking up the history of wildfire smoke in the Commonwealth earlier in the summer with the seemingly near constant plumes of smoke, I came across this event from 1950. People were very perplexed, and many thought the world was ending or aliens were about to invade.

Here are some reports from Bradford and Coudersport area.

Bradford Landmark Society - The Day the Sun Went Out In Bradford - Bradford Pa History Historical Society

Black Sunday: Darkness falls in the PA Wilds - Pennsylvania Wilds

Some good eyewitness accounts on this site, with some even indicating stars were visible. This would suggest a large object eclipsed the sun outside of earth's atmosphere, perhaps giving some credence to the alien spacecraft theory. The official explanation today, however, is a pall of smoke from the Chinchaga firestorm in western Canada.

darksunday (the-red-thread.net)

11 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Okay yeah this makes sense.  When the wind is potent enough, you are almost certainly getting some significant rain shadow from being attached directly to that pole.  That second pic of it being attached with the opening above the fence line is ideal.  That's the tricky thing about those manual cylinder gauges, is finding a perfect spot for them.  Believe me, I know, I still haven't found a permanent home for mine at our new house.  I just manually move it around ha, and have an automated gauge as backup.  The main thing though is to have them attached so the collection cylinder is above the object it is attached to (like you had with the fence), rather than being blocked by the object to which it is attached.  This is total weenie stuff haha.

Dang it, I knew that was going to be an issue, grrr!!   Now I'll have to find another spot to hang it.  My tempest went offline and sometimes that can be a bit on the higher side.  Thanks for pointing it out, now back to the drawing board. Ha Ha!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Also, of note, on yesterday's date 73 years ago, Black Sunday occurred in the Commonwealth. When I was looking up the history of wildfire smoke in the Commonwealth earlier in the summer with the seemingly near constant plumes of smoke, I came across this event from 1950. People were very perplexed, and many thought the world was ending or aliens were about to invade.

Here are some reports from Bradford and Coudersport area.

Bradford Landmark Society - The Day the Sun Went Out In Bradford - Bradford Pa History Historical Society

Black Sunday: Darkness falls in the PA Wilds - Pennsylvania Wilds

Some good eyewitness accounts on this site, with some even indicating stars were visible. This would suggest a large object eclipsed the sun outside of earth's atmosphere, perhaps giving some credence to the alien spacecraft theory. The official explanation today, however, is a pall of smoke from the Chinchaga firestorm in western Canada.

darksunday (the-red-thread.net)

Here was the weather on September 24, 1950. Perhaps the most notable thing is the temperatures, which are almost unfathomable by today's standards for the month of September.

Erie

image.png.79207b6fdc851198ea2b80ac9a8f1d20.png

Erie had a high of 48F, and a low of 46F. The comment states: "On the afternoon of the 24th, a dense layer of smoke aloft, together with a lower overcast of cloudiness, caused nighttime darkness so that floodlights were necessary for an afternoon ball game. The phenomenon is without precedent here and caused considerable alarm."

Williamsport

image.png.c20d1682de60bbdabab4b6ca60d59c8b.png

Williamsport had a high of 52F and a low of 39F. Further down in the monthly summary, the Weather Bureau observer left the following remark: 
"The most outstanding phenomena of the month was the rather complete obscuration of all sunlight and skylight for a period of two hours late afternoon the 24th due to a thick, high level smoke stratum from western Canadian forest fires. General atmospheric smoke remained till the month's end in a stagnating air mass over the region."

• Like 1

Looking ahead based on the NWS forecast for the remainder of this week/month we look on pace to finish slightly +0.5 degrees above normal. This would be good for the 63rd chilliest or 67th warmest September on record....depending on your view.

The top 10 warmest Septembers are below. Of note all but one of those warm Septembers occurred prior to 1961.

image.png.83386fb1b9dcdaaca8a0740713bb09a2.png    

• Like 1