• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

6 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

That storm literally followed the ridges, splitting the valley. It was like an amoeba that only survives on ridges

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Like usual the valley to our left/west dried it out as it approached.  It did fine on the ridges to our East.   We are in the unfortunate position over having two of the taller peaks in or near PA close together but a valley in between which acts to limit precip.  It shows up in models all the time.   Some people in Adams reporting over 1/2". 

2 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I didn't get much here in Hanover.  We've had the same issue with missing just to the nse&w. Headed back home so I will check the gauge then.

I do not mean to sound whiney, just doing obs.  Hopefully you did well.    I had a spotter report .69" in East Central Adams.  All in 25 min. 

10 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I do not mean to sound whiney, just doing obs.  Hopefully you did well.    I had a spotter report .69" in East Central Adams.  All in 25 min. 

Lol. Got home to light rain and partially dry ground. Nothing in the rain gauge. I mean Mcsherrystown is less than 10 minutes from mby. Unbelievable. 

So how often does your club meet as I may be interested in joining?

Tonight, I really need to know, “How much for Philly?”

The family & I are down at the Phillies game. It poured when we got here about 1 hour ago with thunder & lightning. 
The sky has cleared for now & the game looks to be starting on time soon at 6:05. Hopefully we get a 3 hour window to get the game in tonight!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The family & I are down at the Phillies game. It poured when we got here about 1 hour ago with thunder & lightning. 
The sky has cleared for now & the game looks to be starting on time soon at 6:05. Hopefully we get a 3 hour window to get the game in tonight!

There's activity to your southwest right now but it isn't showing much movement towards you. Hope they get it in!

I'm going down Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Hope you get the game in! 

• Thanks 1

All the rain is dying as it moves up from Maryland. 80% of the days it has rained this summer have been days with at least a 60% chance of rain, yet they have accounted for only 20% of my totals. I do far far better when I have a 30% chance. Those days have accounted for 80% of my rain total and have an event average rainfall 10x any day I'm at 60% chance

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

All the rain is dying as it moves up from Maryland. 80% of the days it has rained this summer have been days with at least a 60% chance of rain, yet they have accounted for only 20% of my totals. I do far far better when I have a 30% chance. Those days have accounted for 80% of my rain total and have an event average rainfall 10x any day I'm at 60% chance

It completed its collapse before it reached the river. 

It completed its collapse before it reached the river. 
We will be lucky to hit .50" through Monday. If we get hit it will be on Some random overnight next week when nothing is forcast, or an evening when nothing is forcast and everyone is out. This is the first year where I seriously thing something is horribly wrong with the models

• Like 2

Guys...I'm surprised  the wind event I had wasn't experienced by more of you.  I saw Canderson's comment.  Honestly, I don't think I've ever experienced something quite like what happened here a few hours ago when that pretty strong cell moved due north up from Adams.  There was no lightning.  There was no thunder.  It wasn't even completely overcast.  When I heard the roar outside I was surprised.  I went outside and watched the 80-foot tall trees in my backyard bending like never before.  Fortunately the winds were coming out of the south, which is also a bit unusual.  I knew right away that  30-40mph sustained winds with gusts to over 50 were suddenly upon me.  I figured, alright, this will only last a couple of minutes.  But, it kept going.  The noise was amazing.  Within 5 minutes the rain began and the wind just kept on going.  There were momentary lulls, of course, but the event lasted easily for 15 minutes or more.  I just wish I had better wind exposure for my anemometer.  The back of my house faces north.  That means the most blocked direction for winds is when they are out of the south.  So, I recorded a whopping 9 mph on my Ambient, and 12mph on my Tempest.  The temperature fell rapidly again, just like yesterday, from near 90 all the way down to 67 in about 10 minutes.  I haven't had time to look online for the data, but I don't know if a severe thunderstorm warning had been issued for this.  Again, not one lightning bolt or clap of thunder through the entire event.  Amazing!  Fortunately, no damage from the high winds.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Guys...I'm surprised  the wind event I had wasn't experienced by more of you.  I saw Canderson's comment.  Honestly, I don't think I've ever experienced something quite like what happened here a few hours ago when that pretty strong cell moved due north up from Adams.  There was no lightning.  There was no thunder.  It wasn't even completely overcast.  When I heard the roar outside I was surprised.  I went outside and watched the 80-foot tall trees in my backyard bending like never before.  Fortunately the winds were coming out of the south, which is also a bit unusual.  I knew right away that  30-40mph sustained winds with gusts to over 50 were suddenly upon me.  I figured, alright, this will only last a couple of minutes.  But, it kept going.  The noise was amazing.  Within 5 minutes the rain began and the wind just kept on going.  There were momentary lulls, of course, but the event lasted easily for 15 minutes or more.  I just wish I had better wind exposure for my anemometer.  The back of my house faces north.  That means the most blocked direction for winds is when they are out of the south.  So, I recorded a whopping 9 mph on my Ambient, and 12mph on my Tempest.  The temperature fell rapidly again, just like yesterday, from near 90 all the way down to 67 in about 10 minutes.  I haven't had time to look online for the data, but I don't know if a severe thunderstorm warning had been issued for this.  Again, not one lightning bolt or clap of thunder through the entire event.  Amazing!  Fortunately, no damage from the high winds.

We had two gusts in the 50's here.  We pulled some of our "taller potted vegetation" in as they could have snapped.   No storms here either and little to no rain. 

We had two gusts in the 50's here.  We pulled some of our "taller potted vegetation" in as they could have snapped.   No storms here either and little to no rain. 
Our atmosphere is definitely not worked over, unlike those to the east, west, south, north

9 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Our atmosphere is definitely not worked over, unlike those to the east, west, south, north

I personally would take a quarter inch of rain at this point.....that would double my last 5 weeks and give us a good soaking.  Do not need the severe.  

45 minutes ago, Voyager said:

So far 2.30" in Tamaqua with the most recent radar scan...

Screenshot_20230909_180845_Chrome.jpg

* Flash Flood Warning for...
Northwestern Lackawanna County in northeastern Pennsylvania...

* Until 1045 PM EDT.

* At 833 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing
heavy rain across the warned area. Up to 4 inches of rain have
fallen. Additional rainfall amounts up to 1 inch are possible in
the warned area. Flash flooding is already occurring.