• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Heat Wave broken there? We only got above 90 once this week so cannot say it was broken here but think I may be done with 90's until next Spring or Summer. 

I had no problem hitting 90's here. The difference in climo between you and me is pretty incredible considering the short distance. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I had no problem hitting 90's here. The difference in climo between you and me is pretty incredible considering the short distance. 

The elevation is the key.  The one Micheaux Forest reporting station I watch did not get over 87 this week from what I see.    I have topped 90 six times this year.  It did not even get close yesterday with the clouds pushing in before lunch.    We have 2 WU reporting stations in this neighborhood as well and they only broke 90 once this week. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The elevation is the key.  The one Micheaux Forest reporting station I watch did not get over 87 this week from what I see.    I have topped 90 six times this year.  It did not even get close yesterday with the clouds pushing in before lunch.    We have 2 WU reporting stations in this neighborhood as well and they only broke 90 once this week. 

Elevation for sure. I'm at 600' and my daughter se of me by 5+ miles is around 730' and she always does better than me during marginal events. But I'm a 10 minute drive to the top of Pigeon Hills, which is a bit over 1200', so I'll often take the short trip to see how the other half lives.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Elevation for sure. I'm at 600' and my daughter se of me by 5+ miles is around 730' and she always does better than me during marginal events. But I'm a 10 minute drive to the top of Pigeon Hills, which is a bit over 1200', so I'll often take the short trip to see how the other half lives.

I am about 10 min from High Rock if you happen to be familiar.  Well over 2000' so if I ever get too hot I go up there.  LOL.  Somedays it is quite hot up there though.  

I think another factor this week is that the models have consistently been showing the major heat in the LSV, SE PA with it quickly tapering off as you go West.   Most of PA did not experience a heat wave.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Heat Wave broken there? We only got above 90 once this week so cannot say it was broken here but think I may be done with 90's until next Spring or Summer. 

Maybe - though I would not rule out low 90s today depending on the amount of sun I get. Debris has burned off, temp is now 70 and the spike is on...

• Like 1

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Maybe - though I would not rule out low 90s today depending on the amount of sun I get. Debris has burned off, temp is now 70 and the spike is on...

Watch, I will hit 90 after all this talk.  LOL.  There is even a chance someone hits 90 tomorrow still.   HRRR has Greencastle area hitting 90 tomorrow. 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Watch, I will hit 90 after all this talk.  LOL.  There is even a chance someone hits 90 tomorrow still.   HRRR has Greencastle area hitting 90 tomorrow. 

Yep, I'm leaning more on hitting 90 today than not. Tomorrow is a toss up. Sunday is almost assuredly a no. Still going to feel quite uncomfortable though with the humidity. Hoping you get more rain today than yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yep, I'm leaning more on hitting 90 today than not. Tomorrow is a toss up. Sunday is almost assuredly a no. Still going to feel quite uncomfortable though with the humidity. Hoping you get more rain today than yesterday. 

Thanks, everything points to me scoring this weekend.  I am still under 17" for the year and would like to get that monkey off my back. 

If I had to bet I would say there are some 90's around you today.  Not sure if MDT makes it or not. 

• Like 1

We picked up 0.26" between both rounds of rain last night...much more fell to the west of Chesco. Showers and t-storm chances will continue through the weekend...not a washout but keep those umbrellas handy. We do need the rain. Yesterday should be the last time this year most spots in the county see a 90 degree reading. Here in East Nantmeal we failed to exceed 90 degrees for the 2nd straight summer. This is the 4th time in my 20 years of local observations in EN that we did not reach 90 even rounded in a summer.
Records for today: High 95 (1939) / Low 40 (1984) / Rain 5.36" (1987)
image.png.d3d9517e46de231c09c7dea81d240421.png

17 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

God, I  hope not. Our church does not have a/c and anything above mid 80's gets tough.

I was thinking, one place we almost always go when going to Hanover is the Long Arm Reservoir.    I know there is Codorus, but it takes us over an hour to get that far.    We actually consider Hanover quite the drive especially with traffic. 

18 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was thinking, one place we almost always go when going to Hanover is the Long Arm Reservoir.    I know there is Codorus, but it takes us over an hour to get that far.    We actually consider Hanover quite the drive especially with traffic. 

Traffic? We are in heaven with traffic around here vs Baltimore area. We got our place here in late 2019 and  starting May 2020 I commuted from Hanover to my office in Glen Burnie (southern side of BWI) for 2 years while our youngest daughter lived in our house in Linthicum.  Now THAT'S crappy traffic! Lol But there are a surprising number of people around here that have been commuting to Baltimore for years.  God bless them because they are better than me.

Just now, mitchnick said:

Traffic? We are in heaven with traffic around here vs Baltimore area. We got our place here in late 2019 and  starting May 2020 I commuted from Hanover to my office in Glen Burnie (southern side of BWI) for 2 years while our youngest daughter lived in our house in Linthicum.  Now THAT'S crappy traffic! Lol But there are a surprising number of people around here that have been commuting to Baltimore for years.  God bless them because they are better than me.

Once we get to Emmittsburg we have a choice of how to go to Hanover.  Either through Taneytown (Tawny) or up 15 to 30 or one of the other roads that can go east.  If we want to go to North Hanover and take 30, a 10 mile drive turns into 20-30 min.  So, yea, not real traffic but despite that area being 35-40 miles from our place it still takes us over an hour, and I drive fast. 

Your experience of Baltimore traffic is why I will not take a job any further south than Frederck.    270 is even worse re: DC.   I was in and around Hanover and Spring Grove back in the early 90's and yes, even back then many people were Baltimoreites living in the "suburbs".  LOL. 

6 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Are we still looking at that nocturnal meso tonight?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Actually, everything I looked at moved it up to this evening into the overnight but not so much while most are sleeping...more like normal late day storms.   Bit worried about it is misses my area to the West.