• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Summer 2023

Our first 90 is in the books...90 on the dot. 

Edit-Just opened the mail and we are under voluntary water restrictions.   No after 10AM outdoor water use (car washes, watering, etc)
If you got 8" in one storm, would anything happen besides some flash flooding and people critical that somehow they are still under a drought but rainfall is "normal"

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

If you got 8" in one storm, would anything happen besides some flash flooding and people critical that somehow they are still under a drought but rainfall is "normal"

8" in one storm would help the creeks and ground water.  Would not make a difference to the vegetation.  1" is the same as 8" to the green stuff.  It rained about 1" here on Sunday and if I mowed right now it would be a dust bowl. 

Earlier a few hrs ago they said the threat of heavy rain was east of us. Now this, what changed?

Flood Watch

National Weather Service State College PA

644 PM EDT Sat Jul 15 2023

PAZ026>028-035-036-049>053-056>059-063>066-160645-

/O.NEW.KCTP.FA.A.0004.230715T2244Z-230716T0800Z/

/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

Huntingdon-Mifflin-Juniata-Fulton-Franklin-Union-Snyder-Montour-

Northumberland-Columbia-Perry-Dauphin-Schuylkill-Lebanon-Cumberland-

Adams-York-Lancaster-

Including the cities of Mount Union, Sunbury, Bloomsburg, Lewisburg,

York, Huntingdon, Lancaster, Hershey, Chambersburg, McConnellsburg,

Selinsgrove, Harrisburg, Mifflintown, Lebanon, Danville, Carlisle,

Berwick, Newport, Gettysburg, Lewistown, Shamokin, and Pottsville

644 PM EDT Sat Jul 15 2023

...FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EDT SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall is possible.

* WHERE...A portion of central Pennsylvania, including the following

counties, Adams, Columbia, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Fulton,

Huntingdon, Juniata, Lancaster, Lebanon, Mifflin, Montour,

Northumberland, Perry, Schuylkill, Snyder, Union and York.

* WHEN...Until 4 AM EDT Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Excessive runoff may result in flooding of rivers,

creeks, streams, and other low-lying and flood-prone locations.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...

- A large area of showers and embedded thunderstorms will

impact the watch area this evening. Hourly rainfall rates of

as much as 2 to 3 inches will pose an isolated flash flood

risk in any areas where repeat rainfall develops.

- http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible Flood

Warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be prepared

to take action should flooding develop.

&&

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Man, you look at that and read the just updated AFD from CTP and someone or something is going to bust hard...

There is no model that I saw, except the Nam 12, that shows heavy rain west of the Susky and most not even east until you get far east near Philly.    Rgem has heavy rain in Lanco.   Even the Rap has jumped ship on excessive rain.   Both the Rap and HRRR move that inital shield on radar north of the LSV.   But it is convection so who knows.   They could be spot on at the NWS.

image.thumb.png.bcf63a7734c8ef903fbe4846aa3c72e6.png

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

There is no model that I saw, except the Nam 12, that shows heavy rain west of the Susky and most not even east until you get far east near Philly.    Rgem has heavy rain in Lanco.   Even the Rap has jumped ship on excessive rain.   Both the Rap and HRRR move that inital shield on radar north of the LSV.   But it is convection so who knows.   They could be spot on at the NWS.

Thanks for posting. I'm a little confused by CTP- they talk about 2-3" of rain in the flood watch text but my forecast is for far less. More in line with the models.

I think the issue is the error range on mesos recently with convection. It's been pretty big. If the ingredients are there, what do you do?

Just now, Jns2183 said:

I think the issue is the error range on mesos recently with convection. It's been pretty big. If the ingredients are there, what do you do?

I think their AFD is a bit wishy washy which is fine...they say there is a chance due to the pwats but are also saying..."Eh, the flash flood values are a bit high".  I do not blame them but still really question whether we get an area wide flooder.   But once I saw the FFW I went right to the HRRR and it still did not look impressive.  It is not just simple qpf values on the HRRR, the prog moves the greatest potential around the LSV.     Good discussion and interesting to watch either way. 

FFW watches are almost like the opposite of WSW. No one cares if they are hoisted, but god damn, if there are no warnings before something hits people get mad. We can try to be all technical with when they should be presented, and there are standards within the NWS, but lest we forgot, they are issued for the benefit of the public at large; thus human psychology and nature absolutely should be as important driver as actual weather.

1 minute ago, Jns2183 said:

FFW watches are almost like the opposite of WSW. No one cares if they are hoisted, but god damn, if there are no warnings before something hits people get mad. We can try to be all technical with when they should be presented, and there are standards within the NWS, but lest we forgot, they are issued for the benefit of the public at large; thus human psychology and nature absolutely should be as important driver as actual weather.

I put FF Watches on the same level as Tornado watches.  Nothing is imminent but watch the sky.  I think being night makes it something to consider as well re: driving into water that you cannot see. 

GUYS 
I found a place that makes mead across from a Ukrainian church - and they play 30 year old WWF matches!
Pittsburgh isn’t that bad aside from the insane hills
IMG-8555.jpg 
I'm from Pittsburgh orginally. There's a reason so many movies are filmed. Amazing little ethnic enclaves with awesome local restaurant and bars. Plus the local music scene is top 10 nationwide.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, canderson said:

GUYS 

I found a place that makes mead across from a Ukrainian church - and they play 30 year old WWF matches!

Pittsburgh isn’t that bad aside from the insane hills

IMG-8555.jpg 

I remember mead from stuff I read in college. What does it taste like? It is wine, isn't it? As I recall, the old beers were very low alcohol because people drank them a lot due to water so bad. Does mead pack any kind of punch?

I can't believe I am talking about mead!

I remember mead from stuff I read in college. What does it taste like? It is wine, isn't it? As I recall, the old beers were very low alcohol because people drank them a lot due to water so bad. Does mead pack any kind of punch?
I can't believe I am talking about mead!
I've made mead. It can certainly pack a bunch if you wanted it to. Also people back in the day drank a lot more than today

• Like 1