• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Summer 2023

So here's a snippet from our AFD this afternoon.

Heading through the rest of the week and into this weekend, the
central anticyclone is expected to slide west-northwest or develop
a new center, with increasing H5 heights. The high is expected to
center over central CA this weekend before drifting back over AZ
early next week. This will unfortunately continue the prolonged
excessive heat we have been enduring. Surface temperatures are
expected to go up with the strengthening of the high. NBM has the
hottest temperatures this weekend, pushing 115-120F for many lower
desert locations. Morning lows will also remain quite warm,
ranging from mid-80s to low-90s, and even mid-90s in some
locations like Phoenix.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Lol.   Down goes jns!
My parents keep the a/c at 74/75. Their room isn't on the top floor. The one spare bedroom is. It defiantly is warmer up there. I've actually gone as far as having two big fans blasting on high while I soak a pillow case in ice water, with a couple frozen gel packs inside to place on my back as both fans blast me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It looks like we here in Williamsport are done with the rain that has been coming down in the northern half of the state off and on for hours. We received .42.

I saw this post on Twitter from the guy who covers fires. He did a podcast that covers, among other things, the question: "The U.S. sends a massive resource order to Canada. Are the U.S. resources left enough to cover the coming fire season?" 

Usually the international help for other countries like us is a question of firefighters, not resources. I sure hope we didn't send too much up there. I have been very surprised and relieved that we haven't had more fires, considering we get hotter and Canada's fires have been an out of control mess for over a month. Ocean temps are elevated so God knows what hurricane season will bring as it really starts to get going in another month.

Our weather may soon become too interesting.

https://twitter.com/HotshotWake/status/1679169290988142594

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Even 70 this AM.  Meso's are not looking very wet today....HRRR has a few pop up's late this afternoon while Nam is a blank out for most of the LSV though it has a line early Fri AM. 

CTP still has a HWO for heavy rain possibilities tonight - though they dropped you and me from "likely" rain down to "chance" of rain...Harrisburg on N&W is still looking good though. :)  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

CTP still has a HWO for heavy rain possibilities tonight - though they dropped you and me from "likely" rain down to "chance" of rain...Harrisburg on N&W is still looking good though. :)  

I checked my grass yesterday and it is fading back faster than I thought it would.  No rain today or tomorrow and brown town is back.   We are back to watering the garden twice a day as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I checked my grass yesterday and it is fading back faster than I thought it would.  No rain today or tomorrow and brown town is back.   We are back to watering the garden twice a day as well. 

I mentioned late last week, my yard had turned brown...and it took 2-3 days for it to happen. Amazing how quickly it happens this time of year. 

I watered everything well on Tuesday evening...I got home from work last evening and my wife was going on about how dried out the veggies were already. 

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I mentioned late last week, my yard had turned brown...and it took 2-3 days for it to happen. Amazing how quickly it happens this time of year. 

I watered everything well on Tuesday evening...I got home from work last evening and my wife was going on about how dried out the veggies were already. 

Yea, 2-3 days of sun and it does not matter if it rained 1/2" or 4" as to the plants. 

• Like 2

New Drought Map.  D2 limited to a very small area of the LSV and D1 pulled back quite a bit.   All of LSV in some level of drought/D0 still with D1 for most of Franklin and Cumberland and much of the southern LSV.  

image.thumb.png.387080ab65ced6f67c39b23483ce2113.png

Northeast Drought Summary

The recent dryness in much of the Northeast Region was abruptly ended by heavy to excessive rainfall last week. Rainfall totals of 3.5 to locally 8.0 inches of rain pelted much of eastern Pennsylvania and the west half of New England, with numerous reports of flash flooding. Maine, lower New England, eastern New York, much of New Jersey, and a few patches across the mid-Atlantic Region and West Virginia recorded moderate to heavy amounts with isolated totals exceeding 3 inches. A few tenths of an inch of precipitation fell elsewhere, at best. Broad drought improvement or removal resulted across much of New England and the adjacent Northeast, but conditions were generally unchanged in the relatively drier areas, including parts of the mid-Atlantic Region and western sections of Pennsylvania and New York. The worst conditions on the Drought Monitor (D2) are now restricted to central Maryland and adjacent Pennsylvania

Full Summary

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

New Drought Map.  D2 limited to a very small area of the LSV and D1 pulled back quite a bit.   All of LSV in some level of drought/D0 still with D1 for most of Franklin and Cumberland and much of the southern LSV.  

image.thumb.png.387080ab65ced6f67c39b23483ce2113.png

Northeast Drought Summary

The recent dryness in much of the Northeast Region was abruptly ended by heavy to excessive rainfall last week. Rainfall totals of 3.5 to locally 8.0 inches of rain pelted much of eastern Pennsylvania and the west half of New England, with numerous reports of flash flooding. Maine, lower New England, eastern New York, much of New Jersey, and a few patches across the mid-Atlantic Region and West Virginia recorded moderate to heavy amounts with isolated totals exceeding 3 inches. A few tenths of an inch of precipitation fell elsewhere, at best. Broad drought improvement or removal resulted across much of New England and the adjacent Northeast, but conditions were generally unchanged in the relatively drier areas, including parts of the mid-Atlantic Region and western sections of Pennsylvania and New York. The worst conditions on the Drought Monitor (D2) are now restricted to central Maryland and adjacent Pennsylvania

Full Summary

D1 actually pokes right up to and ends at Maytown. 

I did not realize how dry areas like central and western Cumberland county has been - I thought it was confined to south of the 'pike but I guess not. 

Thanks as always for sharing. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

D1 actually pokes right up to and ends at Maytown. 

I did not realize how dry areas like central and western Cumberland county has been - I thought it was confined to south of the 'pike but I guess not. 

Thanks as always for sharing. 

....and this Drought map is as of 48 hours ago, so conditions have trended worse.   With the GFS only showing 1/4"-1/2" of rain for the LSV over the next 5 days, there is a chance the drought map makes a decent push to the negative next week.   The CMC is more wet during that time.  Pop up winner cells do not do much to change this depiction.  Need an area wide rain like much of the area got Sunday.   I was in Western Carlisle earlier this week and it is brown and super dry. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

....and this Drought map is as of 48 hours ago, so conditions have trended worse.   With the GFS only showing 1/4"-1/2" of rain for the LSV over the next 5 days, there is a chance the drought map makes a decent push to the negative next week.   The CMC is more wet during that time.  Pop up winner cells do not do much to change this depiction.  Need an area wide rain like much of the area got Sunday.   I was in Western Carlisle earlier this week and it is brown and super dry. 

Very true - we need the next 72 hours to deliver. 

• Like 2