Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

14 minutes ago, BBasile said:

The thunder has been rumbling for more than three hours now.  Can't sleep because I keep looking out the window.  lol

Yeah it's been like a calmer version of the 3 hour session last week. Off and on showers here, with an occasional flash of lightning and then thunder. Up to 0.43" of rain. Really nice out, 72F, with a little breeze at the moment.

• Like 1

Some spots across Southern Chester County saw over 2" of rain last night...while folks in the Northern parts saw nothing. There is a chance of more hit and miss storms later today so maybe some of the Northern folks can cash in today. Cooler today before both Wednesday and Thursday see temps in the upper 80's. Rain chances return by the weekend.
Records for today: High 101 (1919) / Low 45 (1986) / Rain 1.89" (2019)
image.png.bbdd8b252bfd3a0c2bba87ed9504495f.png

41 minutes ago, BBasile said:

This is almost comical.  I've been waiting hours for this non-stop severe thunderstorm to reach me.  I actually made a spherical panoramic image of the rain falling in all 360 degrees around me while I stayed dry.  

Screenshot_20230704_184703_RadarScope.jpg

Nice outflow boundaries. You must be on the no t'storm weather karma list like some others here, I have the #1 spot.

• Like 1

Just got home from my sister's house in Wyndmoor and other than one brief period when there was suddenly a cool easterly breeze coming in (am thinking outflow from some storms nearby), there was nada up here in NW Philly and just across the border in Montco.  It didn't even look like it was going to do anything.  Looking at the radar at the time, all of the stuff was racing south of me as it moved east.  Even got the alerts about the "pause" of the Wawa Welcome America downtown as they were getting hit by a large blob that probably took up the whole southern half of the city.

Anyway, currently clouding up and 78 with dp 73.

• Like 1

Looks like a hot and humid next couple of days on tap. And wouldn't you know it, my A/C still isn't working right, even after our latest service tech visit yesterday (the third since it was installed on May 5th). Left another message requesting service and fired off a very strongly-worded letter email letting all and sundry know just how dissatisfied and disappointed we have been with this service. Each time, a tech has come out and has supposedly "found" some little setting, or some "loose wire" or something that wasn't quite right, and each time, they've power cycled the system and like magic, it suddenly works fine. Until it suddenly doesn't. I'm done being nice. This shit is getting fixed or replaced. FFS, enough already. /rant

Stay cool, everyone else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Looks like a hot and humid next couple of days on tap. And wouldn't you know it, my A/C still isn't working right, even after our latest service tech visit yesterday (the third since it was installed on May 5th). Left another message requesting service and fired off a very strongly-worded letter email letting all and sundry know just how dissatisfied and disappointed we have been with this service. Each time, a tech has come out and has supposedly "found" some little setting, or some "loose wire" or something that wasn't quite right, and each time, they've power cycled the system and like magic, it suddenly works fine. Until it suddenly doesn't. I'm done being nice. This shit is getting fixed or replaced. FFS, enough already. /rant

Stay cool, everyone else.

That sucks. They either have incompetent techs or the A/C is fvcked up. Do you have a window unit in the meantime? Even a 5000BTU for a small room would help. 

Received squat for rain today...

76F/DP 73F

8 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

That sucks. They either have incompetent techs or the A/C is fvcked up. Do you have a window unit in the meantime? Even a 5000BTU for a small room would help. 

76F/DP 73F

Yeah we have a portable that I can set up if need be, thanks for asking. I sent an email to the sales guy that sold us the system and he already replied that he's on it, which I honestly wasn't expecting on a holiday. I can't fault them for their overall responsiveness at least.

I was an electronics tech for over 20 years in a former life. While I may not know much about HVAC, I do know a thing or two about troubleshooting. Something is obviously faulty and it's way beyond time to continue fiddling with settings and power-cycling. It's time to start swapping out components. Hell, I don't care at this point if they need to send out an entire team to do a full reinstall, it just needs to work. We didn't spend a ton of time and effort (and money) researching new systems to NOT have working A/C this summer.

Sorry for ranting guys. Back to the weather. It's hot. Looking forward to fall already. On the plus side, I lost a bunch of weight recently and I can tell the heat isn't bothering me this year as much as in years past. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Fireworks are still popping off. I heard sirens earlier, and you always hate to hear that on July 4th. Hope everyone's ok.

25 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Yeah we have a portable that I can set up if need be, thanks for asking. I sent an email to the sales guy that sold us the system and he already replied that he's on it, which I honestly wasn't expecting on a holiday. I can't fault them for their overall responsiveness at least.

I was an electronics tech for over 20 years in a former life. While I may not know much about HVAC, I do know a thing or two about troubleshooting. Something is obviously faulty and it's way beyond time to continue fiddling with settings and power-cycling. It's time to start swapping out components. Hell, I don't care at this point if they need to send out an entire team to do a full reinstall, it just needs to work. We didn't spend a ton of time and effort (and money) researching new systems to NOT have working A/C this summer.

Sorry for ranting guys. Back to the weather. It's hot. Looking forward to fall already. On the plus side, I lost a bunch of weight recently and I can tell the heat isn't bothering me this year as much as in years past. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Fireworks are still popping off. I heard sirens earlier, and you always hate to hear that on July 4th. Hope everyone's ok.

In under 2.5hrs we'll be under 80 days, I'll probably still be up.

The start of Eagles camp is the next hurdle to feel Fall is right around the corner. Then back to school sales commercials then Labor day...then Birds first reg season game then Halloween stuff is rolled out way early then Fall 9/23.

73F/DP 71F

79.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

The start of Eagles camp is the next hurdle to feel Fall is right around the corner. Then back to school sales commercials then Labor day...then Birds first reg season game then Halloween stuff is rolled out way early then Fall 9/23.

73F/DP 71F

79.jpg

Has pumpkin spice beer come and gone yet? I seem to recall it being introduced and subsequently running out earlier and earlier every year since it blew up in the late 2000's. My wife used to crave it so I was always on the lookout for it. She stopped drinking beer a couple of years ago so it's kind of slipped off my radar, but for a while I was amazed at just how much earlier and earlier it came and went each year. Like, wouldn't you want to sell it for consumption in the fall, between Halloween and Thanksgiving? I never understood the weird market timing behind that.

80 days. Nice. Please don't stop showing us (me) these reminders.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

76F/DP 73F

do you have a a heat pump system?  If so , it sounds like the defrost board or the reversing valve maybe screwed up. The other issue in this high humidity is that the compressor maybe screwed up too if they never charged the unit with enough coolant when they installed it.  Low coolant pressure can give you the appearance that the unit is working as the more you turn down the thermostat, the warmer it gets in the house as the air never really cools. 

4 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

73F/DP 71F

79.jpg

I already heard some "back to school" commercial on the radio this past Monday (may have been Staples :huh:).

Still had no precip. overnight and there has now been no measurable IMBY since 6/27. Am hoping I can get under some pop-up and not have to whip out the hose.

My high yesterday ended up at 91 and it's currently 74 with dp 72.

4 hours ago, Albedoman said:

do you have a a heat pump system?  If so , it sounds like the defrost board or the reversing valve maybe screwed up. The other issue in this high humidity is that the compressor maybe screwed up too if they never charged the unit with enough coolant when they installed it.  Low coolant pressure can give you the appearance that the unit is working as the more you turn down the thermostat, the warmer it gets in the house as the air never really cools. 

Yes. So lighting a fire has yielded the result I wanted. They have a crew coming out at 10, with Bosch tech support on standby in case they need to make a "site visit" for some reason. It's going to be hot today, so we'll see if they can resolve it before then. Fingers crossed.

12 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Yes. So lighting a fire has yielded the result I wanted. They have a crew coming out at 10, with Bosch tech support on standby in case they need to make a "site visit" for some reason. It's going to be hot today, so we'll see if they can resolve it before then. Fingers crossed.

let me know the results please.  Thanks

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Sorry to hear about all your AC issues! Nothing worse than making a large investment and not getting what you paid for!! Not that it will make you feel any better but two friends of mine replaced their AC's in recent years and had similar experiences -- needed the techs to come out several times after installation to get the system running properly. Hopefully things get resolved for you today!

80F/DP 71F

6 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I already heard some "back to school" commercial on the radio this past Monday (may have been Staples :huh:).

Still had no precip. overnight and there has now been no measurable IMBY since 6/27. Am hoping I can get under some pop-up and not have to whip out the hose.

My high yesterday ended up at 91 and it's currently 74 with dp 72.

Good ole Wal Mart on July 2nd had the summer department gone and was setting up back to school.

Where getting to the end of the line here people. They only have two weeks earlier to go to try to squeeze out extra profits before schools are still in session. The end of capitalism so to speak. 

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Good ole Wal Mart on July 2nd had the summer department gone and was setting up back to school.

Where getting to the end of the line here people. They only have two weeks earlier to go to try to squeeze out extra profits before schools are still in session. The end of capitalism so to speak. 

I never understood why they didn't "get" that come summer as people start dusting off their stored outdoor summer stuff (chairs, tables, umbrellas, etc), that some might need to buy some replacements or supplements, and if it's there in the store, they will not only pick that replacement stuff up but will often buy other stuff they think is cool (birdbaths, 2nd grills, fire pits, etc), let alone possibly consider some additional cooling options like window ACs and fans. :huh:

Well my "low" this morning was 73 and I have now hit 91 as a high for the day so far.   With the sun in and out and temp bopping around, am currently back up to 91 after sitting at 90 for a bit, with dp 72.