• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2023 Obs

GaWx

This is one more from yesterday with the first wall cloud I saw near Apex at 3:47pm or so. You can make out the Shearon Harris cooling tower below it (it is actually probably quite a distance from the actual base of the cloud in this shot):

Wall2a.jpg

• Like 4

An extremely dry airmass over N FL:

Per KJAX: 

FAIR SKIES AND A NEAR RECORD DRY AIR MASS FOR MID-APRIL REMAIN ENTRENCHED OVER OUR AREA, WITH OUR MORNING SOUNDING AT JACKSONVILLE ONLY REGISTERING 0.24 INCHES OF PWAT (RECORD FOR 12Z ON APRIL 18 IS 0.20 INCHES).

This along with other great radiational cooling parameters allowed lows for a number of major stations to get all of the way down into the low 40s, including Hogtown and Jacksonville at 42. All of the way down in north-central FL at Brooksville it was down to 43. That's only 50 miles NNE of Tampa.

Currently the dewpoint is a mere 28 at Ocala with only 17% RH! 

This afternoon is near ideal here! The temperatures are near normal (highs near 80) but with 30s dewpoints, beautiful blue skies, and a gentle breeze. I could take this all year round. This month has had quite a few similar days.

Tomorrow looks similar but with more clouds.

• Like 4

We got 0.55 inches of rain today. Some areas of Greenville County along and just south of I-85 got over an inch. No one had any measurable rain in the forecast as of late yesterday. None of the computer models showed measurable rain until a slight chance after 3:00. It starring raining here about 4:00 this morning.  How could the short term forecast be that bad? 

We had a pretty good storm today with 1/4in hail (and apparently bigger at my son's school--he came home saying "it was raining ice cubes!" :lol:)
But just to the south/southwest they got some nasty hail, and I haven't seen that much purple and white on a radar in a long time, if ever.  It got worse after this picture...

Screenshot_20230426-155721.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gman said:

We got 0.55 inches of rain today. Some areas of Greenville County along and just south of I-85 got over an inch. No one had any measurable rain in the forecast as of late yesterday. None of the computer models showed measurable rain until a slight chance after 3:00. It starring raining here about 4:00 this morning.  How could the short term forecast be that bad? 

323270463_todaywaterbeings!!.png.098dc35bc32d9c81d62a67aea2a84af5.png

i don't have an exact answer but this overall pattern looks like one in which there are a lot of interactions between systems including some oceanic components!!

H8eICmB.gif 

5 hours ago, gtg947h said:

We had a pretty good storm today with 1/4in hail (and apparently bigger at my son's school--he came home saying "it was raining ice cubes!" :lol:)
But just to the south/southwest they got some nasty hail, and I haven't seen that much purple and white on a radar in a long time, if ever.  It got worse after this picture...

Screenshot_20230426-155721.png

Very little rain in this part of the area. The seabreeze held much of it back. I did hear some loud thunder.

The hail just outside Savannah in Richmond Hill, GA, is some of the worst hail in the area in many years, if not decades:

https://www.wsav.com/weather-news/hail-rains-down-in-portions-of-chatham-county/amp/

Holy hail! The Melbourne area got hit hard with large hail:

https://www.clickorlando.com/weather/2023/04/26/snow-way-hail-covers-i-95-in-florida

Hail to this extent and size is very rare in both of these areas.

• Like 1