• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2023 OBS Thread

Ended up bottoming out at 40 yesterday and had a high of 59.  Had clouds that rolled in and out during the day although it remained party sunny.

Currently 41 with dp 33.

Heard on the radio that an EF1 touched down in Womelsdorf in Berks County this past weekend -

Had to do a quick search to see where that is and it's a bit NW of Reading.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Ended up bottoming out at 40 yesterday and had a high of 59.  Had clouds that rolled in and out during the day although it remained party sunny.

Currently 41 with dp 33.

Heard on the radio that an EF1 touched down in Womelsdorf in Berks County this past weekend -

Had to do a quick search to see where that is and it's a bit NW of Reading.

That's...  little bit too close to home. I guess I should be glad we were in the dry slot for so long. I recall checking for relative velocity a couple of times while the system was moving through, but with KDIX down for maintenance, I think large portions of coverage around me were in various shadows. REALLY wish we had a local radar at RDG to fill in that gap.

F-ing POURED on me all the way down the turnpike from Downingtown to Morgantown, but thankfully everybody was playing nice today for some reason. Not a drop at my house, hoping this supposed "deluge" pans out. We're already watering the garden, something that we usually don't have to do until mid-to-late summer.

• Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

That's...  little bit too close to home. I guess I should be glad we were in the dry slot for so long. I recall checking for relative velocity a couple of times while the system was moving through, but with KDIX down for maintenance, I think large portions of coverage around me were in various shadows. REALLY wish we had a local radar at RDG to fill in that gap.

I noticed yesterday that KDIX came back at some point and has been running okay today.  I know that in general, "maintenance windows" are set to cover contingencies in case something takes longer than expected, and I know it was expected to be out until tomorrow, but it's back!

Ended up with a low of 39 this morning and a high of 63 before the front came through just before 6 pm and crashed me down to my current 49 with dp 47.  Had a brief sprinkle earlier this afternoon that was enough to wet the walk (non-measurable), but got a heavier shower, depositing 0.12" in the bucket so far, and am getting light rain now.

19 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Had a little thundershower about an hour ago, 3 flashes of lightning (with thunder of course), and about 0.15" of rain. Total for the day is 0.22" including a few light showers that moved through this morning. Currently 55F and the sun is out. Nice cool spring evening out here.

Dark here....slow steady rain. 40s...

49.jpg

rain.jpg

We have picked up 0.67" of rain since late yesterday afternoon. We are still running over an inch below normal for April and almost 5" below for the year. We have a good chance at many spots across the area seeing at least an inch of rain by the end of the upcoming weekend. Temperatures for the next 10 days look to remain well below normal for late April and early May.
Records for today: High 94 (1915) / Low 26 (1926) / Rain 1.92" (1913)
image.png.7700c1d9e9ff9980765e1694a18830aa.png

4 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Don't think we'll get to see much of the sun the next several days. Clouds/rain....drought buster. Don't feel like it but probably should mow the lawn later today. 

58.jpg

Just finished here, all set for a few days of rain. Mostly sunny at the moment and 61F, birds are singing, the air smells good...love these kind of days!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

That's what I figure. Get out there 9am or so.

Neighbors to the right mowed at lunch. My wife (who has actually gleefully taken over mower duties, and I'm totally not complaining) texts me "Dammit." Then several hours later, neighbors to the left mow. She texts: "DAMMIT!" After we both signed off work, I string-trimmed while she mowed. End result? Our combined 1/3 of the cul-de-sac looking fresh as heck rn.

It really didn't need mowing, but if the forecast pans out (we'll see. I forecast the now typical Reading dry slot happening), it'd be waist-high by the time we'd be able to mow it again. We're still at about a fifth of the rain we received last year, and a quarter of the rain we received in April in 2021. Our May flowers are gonna need some help if we get shafted again.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Neighbors to the right mowed at lunch. My wife (who has actually gleefully taken over mower duties, and I'm totally not complaining) texts me "Dammit." Then several hours later, neighbors to the left mow. She texts: "DAMMIT!" After we both signed off work, I string-trimmed while she mowed. End result? Our combined 1/3 of the cul-de-sac looking fresh as heck rn.

It really didn't need mowing, but if the forecast pans out (we'll see. I forecast the now typical Reading dry slot happening), it'd be waist-high by the time we'd be able to mow it again. We're still at about a fifth of the rain we received last year, and a quarter of the rain we received in April in 2021. Our May flowers are gonna need some help if we get shafted again.

I've been mowing every 4th day (tomorrow will be the 5th day) because this time of year it grows like a weed (and thick). But on/off rain till Monday and it will be long by then. I'll get out there at 7am if I have to (screw the neighbors w/noise).

I've been seeing 2-3" for Berks/Reading and 1-2" around Philly. I'm in the middle so 2"?

49F.jpg

• Weenie 1

26 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I've been mowing every 4th day (tomorrow will be the 5th day) because this time of year it grows like a weed (and thick). But on/off rain till Monday and it will be long by then. I'll get out there at 7am if I have to (screw the neighbors w/noise).

I've been seeing 2-3" for Berks/Reading and 1-2" around Philly. I'm in the middle so 2"?

49F.jpg

I guess it was NBC10 where I seen it. 

If you receive 2-3", fire pits should be allowed.

NBC10 at 11pm:

4-27-2023 11-20-32 PM.jpg

4-27-2023 11-20-54 PM.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

I guess it was NBC10 where I seen it. 

If you receive 2-3", fire pits should be allowed.

NBC10 at 11pm:

4-27-2023 11-20-32 PM.jpg

4-27-2023 11-20-54 PM.jpg

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'll believe it (and be sure to post here enthusiastically) when I see it. Edging the grass along the sidewalk today with the string trimmer just tossed up clouds of dusty, dry earth, an unusual sight in April.

It looks like a pretty wet weekend is on the way for the area. Rain should spread from southwest to northeast across the county this morning and continue pretty heavy into tomorrow morning. It looks like over an inch of rain is likely for much of the county with this 1st round of rain (see below). A 2nd round of rain looks to move in by Sunday morning with a chance of another 1" plus of rain. All of this represents some much needed rain for the local farmers and all of our lawns! Temperatures will continue to run well below normal through at least the next week as we roll into the first week of May.

image.thumb.png.bbd3bc9b02438f58654fd410af5ae1a0.png