Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weather Event of 2022 (Your POV)

George BM

Another year over. A new one begun. 

What weather event stood out most to you?

2022 was not too memorable IMBY (again). One memorable event that I will point out that occurred IMBY in 2022 was the wake-low of January 16th, 2022. In the 10pm hour that night, climaxing between 10:30-10:45pm, I experienced ENE winds that were gusting upwards of 50 mph or so as a solid shield of moderate rain lifted northeastwards and the surface air pressure dropped several mbs in under an hour. I'm sure people such as @MN Transplant can look back at their data at that impressive pressure drop.

Curious to hear what you all have to say about this past year. I know some of you got whacked by summer storms.

• Like 1

The early January snowstorm. I know it didn't work out for everyone in the subforum, but I first saw the potential when we were in the so called "blinds closed" Dec torch pattern, and even though it waxed and waned over about a 10 day period, the general idea remained on guidance. The "Cape storm" actually did produce in my yard (9.5"), so that was satisfying. It melted some but then we had another event a few days later- snow on snow. January as a whole was memorable and eastern areas had one more major event at the end of the month. The beaches really cleaned up on that one with a foot+ blizzard, and I ended up with 6+ inches here.

• Like 4

Missing out on the early Jan storm. But at least getting a little snow later that first week.

I honestly cannot any other super exciting events. I wasnt in town for the July severe storms that hit my area really bad, otherwise that probably would have been #1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George BM said:

Another year over. A new one begun. 

What weather event stood out most to you?

2022 was not too memorable IMBY (again). One memorable event that I will point out that occurred IMBY in 2022 was the wake-low of January 16th, 2022. In the 10pm hour that night, climaxing between 10:30-10:45pm, I experienced ENE winds that were gusting upwards of 50 mph or so as a solid shield of moderate rain lifted northeastwards and the surface air pressure dropped several mbs in under an hour. I'm sure people such as @MN Transplant can look back at their data at that impressive pressure drop.

Curious to hear what you all have to say about this past year. I know some of you got whacked by summer storms.

Here's a station closer to you that had the pressure fall.  https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KVAHERND44/graph/2022-01-16/2022-01-16/daily  I actually lost power for a couple of hours that night.  Here's the thread:  

My weather event of 2022 is the Jan. 3rd snowfall.  8.8".  Just a nice snowfall with the Christmas lights still up. Saved the winter.

Otherwise, the thunderstorms and heat were fairly tame.  No big wind or rain (3"+) events.  Perhaps the oddest event was the first week of October, where it just kept raining, with 6 straight days of measurable, and 4 straight days with over 1/3".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also the early Jan snow. Made more memorable by our power being out for 2-3 days. Major State highway closed 3 days after sudden heavy snowfall, major tree damage that took  months to clear up. All in the swamps of Anne Arundel too.

I've experienced 6 decades of central Md winter storms, some very big, and I never predicted this year's snow would be in the top 20 like this.

• Like 1

It's only a year ago but 1/3/22 is already one of my fondest weather memories ever. I measured 9.3" (the 2nd biggest event IMBY since I moved to Prince Frederick) and some of best rates I've seen. It was also my youngest son's first snowstorm (he was only 3 months). We all built a huge snowman together. We also have a very steep hill on our property and half the neighborhood kids came over to sled with our kids. Sadly, many of their friends have moved away just a year later- half this neighborhood cashed out during the bubble and left. It'll never happen again...

• Like 4

I actually registered after lurking for close to a decade, just to answer this.

My most memorable weather event would be the severe thunderstorm and microburst in College Park on July 12th. I was about two miles south of it, but I work at UMD and rode my bike around to check out all the damage after power was restored at campus. I had colleagues who lost power at home for days in CP and Olney. In my area, I’d say that’s the most significant storm damage I’ve seen since the derecho. However, the other thing I remember about that event was the intensity of the sunset afterwards—simultaneous lightning, orange and red skies, high arc rainbows—just surreal.

• Like 8