Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2023

IrishRob17

9 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I have a few flakes, maybe it gets better. Yesterday I got .3, I don't think that'll happen again. 

Mood flakes here currently. Had a quick coating yesterday on grassy surfaces that quickly melted. Maybe I can beat yesterday’s and get a trace of accumulation today. :lol:

1 minute ago, crossbowftw3 said:

Liking the possibility I can get into a 6-8 hour window of snow Sunday night-early Monday. Obviously going to be very poor ratios but 1-3 seems like a safe bet at my elevation with more as you go up 

I just commented on that in the main thread. NAM now gives the area 2”+ w/ greater amounts above 500’

15 minutes ago, snywx said:

I just commented on that in the main thread. NAM now gives the area 2”+ w/ greater amounts above 500’

It’s at least getting some of us officially on the board, even if most of it will be gone come the end of the week with temperatures possibly bouncing back to 40s.

This time last winter we had the back-to-back 4-8” events in the two weeks before the Christmas storm

Pretty much impossible to cut a fresh tree around here this weekend - most local farms had closed for the season by last weekend due to lack of supply, and some never opened at all this year. The demand has been unprecedented the last three years. We ended up with one of the last decent trees at the last farm we checked. 

Up at the top or near the reservoir ? My folks live right off ridge rd up there. Nice little weenie spot for snow 

Up on top, I have a bunch of cellular trail cams that showed some decent snow cover this morning. All melted now. But yes, Highland Mills seems to frequently be a jackpot area!

• Like 1

Hellooooooooo!!!!!!! Is anyone here?

Three days without comments? Is this hangover from the non winter of 22/23 or disgust with the beginning of the Winter, and I use the term loosely now just to reference a season that once existed, of 23!24?

low of 27 this morning already near freezing. The average low this day is 20. I haven't seen that yet this season. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Three days without comments? Is this hangover from the non winter of 22/23 or disgust with the beginning of the Winter, and I use the term loosely now just to reference a season that once existed, of 23!24?

low of 27 this morning already near freezing. The average low this day is 20. I haven't seen that yet this season. 

Good morning.  I’ve been formulating a reminiscent post this morning for later today, need to confirm a few things in the archives but I digress. Low of 26 here, also the current temp. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 3:28 PM, Tpalm5 said:

Up on top, I have a bunch of cellular trail cams that showed some decent snow cover this morning. All melted now. But yes, Highland Mills seems to frequently be a jackpot area!

As a former seven year resident of New Windsor that moved 30 years ago to highland mills, I can certainly verify that as fact. The best 8 mile move I could have made snow wise. Just wish at the time I had the foresight to purchase a north facing front lawn. 

• Like 2

On this date in 1981 areas in this thread were in the midst of a decent snowstorm. I think I've talked about it before in here but that's not going to stop me from talking about it again.  We lived in Fishkill at the time.  I have some vivid memories of this storm, I was nine years of age and recall working on Christmas decorations/ornaments with my Cub Scout pack.  It was pretty exciting to have gifts for my parents that I created, all while a raging snowstorm was occurring during the holiday season. The storm started on the 14th, I found this from a NY Times article in the 12/15/81 paper: "Yesterday afternoon's snow turned into heavy rain last night in New York City, but continued to fall heavily across Rockland County, portions of eastern New York, the Catskills and Connecticut."  Looking at various COOP reports, which can be a bit sketchy but still tell a story, it appears the storm lasted until late on the 16th or early on the 17th depending on location.  Some local NY snow totals from those observations:

Gardiner: 18" (seems a bit high but who knows)

Glenham: 10.5"

Liberty: 9"

Walden: 11"

Westchester Airport: 6.5"

Yorktown: 11"

The records show a couple of refreshers, one on 18th/19th and another on the 23rd, each were a trace up to two inches, location dependent.  Temps started warming up on Christmas Eve so the pack began melting but held on enough to make it an official White Christmas.  Seeing this Miller commercial in regular rotation on tv was more than fitting during that December of yore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

On this date in 1981 areas in this thread were in the midst of a decent snowstorm. I think I've talked about it before in here but that's not going to stop me from talking about it again.  We lived in Fishkill at the time.  I have some vivid memories of this storm, I was nine years of age and recall working on Christmas decorations/ornaments with my Cub Scout pack.  It was pretty exciting to have gifts for my parents that I created, all while a raging snowstorm was occurring during the holiday season. The storm started on the 14th, I found this from a NY Times article in the 12/15/81 paper: "Yesterday afternoon's snow turned into heavy rain last night in New York City, but continued to fall heavily across Rockland County, portions of eastern New York, the Catskills and Connecticut."  Looking at various COOP reports, which can be a bit sketchy but still tell a story, it appears the storm lasted until late on the 16th or early on the 17th depending on location.  Some local NY snow totals from those observations:

Gardiner: 18" (seems a bit high but who knows)

Glenham: 10.5"

Liberty: 9"

Walden: 11"

Westchester Airport: 6.5"

Yorktown: 11"

The records show a couple of refreshers, one on 18th/19th and another on the 23rd, each were a trace up to two inches, location dependent.  Temps started warming up on Christmas Eve so the pack began melting but held on enough to make it an official White Christmas.  Seeing this Miller commercial in regular rotation on tv was more than fitting during that December of yore.

Thank you Rob. I also enjoyed the seasonal commercials. I remember a subway poster for Johnny Walker showing a small train station in a rural snow covered scene that stated ‘Come Home To Red.’ As for the 81 storm my daughters were two and five. I don’t remember it clearly, probably because the rain change led to a, cannot build a snowman, disappointment for my daughters. 42 years gone buy. Stay well, as always …

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

For me, disgust with the beginning of met winter.  Same old mild, snowless, rainy crap from last winter.  But I am holding out hope for Jan and Feb. 

• Like 1