• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Short/Medium Range Severe Weather Discussion

Chicago Storm

This is hilarious, there is a dry gap in this mega squall with record winds in far sw on and then in Georgian Bay area they typically get these large cells that are tornado warned like this afternoon...guess which of those 3 zones I'm in?

61j3f.png

6fhwt.png

Every time, the cells form just to my east! :lmao: If I had a nickel for the number of times this has happened in 2023!

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

This is hilarious, there is a dry gap in this mega squall with record winds in far sw on and then in Georgian Bay area they typically get these large cells that are tornado warned like this afternoon...guess which of those 3 zones I'm in?

61j3f.png

6fhwt.png

Every time, the cells form just to my east! :lmao: If I had a nickel for the number of times this has happened in 2023!

If it was a loonie every time you would be rich

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

61j3f.png

6fhwt.png

Lake Huron shadow.  But you deserve a weenie tag from Texas Man for complaining about climatology.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, frostfern said:

Lake Huron shadow.  But you deserve a weenie tag from Texas Man for complaining about climatology.

I know I'm in a particular screw zone in general but this year I've noticed many setups where the broad line either falls apart or doesn't exist then cells form to the SE of me just a few miles.

I heard one good thunder then nothing, the heavy rains at 5pm - 8 I ended up not getting any at all! 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Torchageddon said:

I know I'm in a particular screw zone in general but this year I've noticed many setups where the broad line either falls apart or doesn't exist then cells form to the SE of me just a few miles.

I heard one good thunder then nothing, the heavy rains at 5pm - 8 I ended up not getting any at all! 

Yea.  It’s hard to know the exact cause.  I notice in Michigan just 300 feet of elevation will favor one area over another, but those microclimate effects are not as noticeable during organized severe outbreaks as they are with garden variety stuff.  

2 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Yea.  It’s hard to know the exact cause.  I notice in Michigan just 300 feet of elevation will favor one area over another, but those microclimate effects are not as noticeable during organized severe outbreaks as they are with garden variety stuff.  

I have found certain set ups are needed due to the 300'+ elevation changes.  Today's storm movement was much better for MBY.  Once the line got through Lansing I was very confident it was going hold for MBY based on the trajectory. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Still waiting for one electrically active storm this summer up here.  SE side has done better.

We had like one crazy thunderstorm with lots of lightning and some small hail, but other than that, it feels like a pretty quiet summer so far.

1 hour ago, SolidIcewx said:

Very curious to see how Wednesday will unfold.. very good directional shear. DTX and KIWX had some nice updates

If it starts looking anything like 6-13 last year I might drive south to watch.  It looks really juicy, which can lead to a good light show.

• Like 1