Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Short/Medium Range Severe Weather Discussion

Chicago Storm

8 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

You can really feel it today. Air is thicker than a campbells chunky soup

It is summery here but not thick like northern Ohio.  mid60 dews here while 70s in northern Ohio.  Regardless the line is holding together and looks like it will get stronger.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

You can really feel it today. Air is thicker than a campbells chunky soup

On a side note to this, as someone who lived in Charleston, SC for 3 years it's amazing how so many people want to relocate & go through this for 4 months a year. And we're only in the low 80's, heck right now my old house is at 94/74 with a projected high of 98 today. Outdoor activities were just brutal outside of swimming, and even then the pool this time of year would often be around 90 degrees

49 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Now I wonder if the southern end is where supercells will form. Or will this be a large bowing segment going through multiple states with imbedded rotation

I think the best chance of rotation is when the line interacts with any lake breezes later in the afternoon.  Problem is the the low level wind is strong so it would probably be over the water.  Otherwise the 0-3 km is kinda unidirectional.  Thats the only problem though.  CAPE and overall shear are impressive.

8 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

We probably have some tennis ball sized hail right now on that storm in between South Bend & Elkhart

Golf balls are all that have been reported so far, but wouldn't doubt that there are some bigger stones

EDIT: Just had a report of hen egg size (2") in Mishawaka

1 minute ago, IWXwx said:

Golf balls are all that have been reported so far, but wouldn't doubt that there are some bigger stones

Really watching these storms as they approach Ohio. It seems the best environment is Coldwater to Fort Wayne & Findlay to Toledo. Anything in that square is pretty darn primed at the moment, seeing LI's around -8 and even -9 with LL lapse rates at 8° C/KM. Shear is solid but helicity is pretty low, a little higher around Hillsdale & Lenawee Counties so maybe something could spin up around there if it's discrete.

Best thunderstorm IMBY since the end of March :popcorn:  Got a bit of everything but a nader (which I can do without).  Hail size was pea (perfect size).  Winds gust 30s/40s.  Heavy Rain (visibility 1/2 mile) with total 3/4" (not flooding rains but I'll take it :)).  Lightning & Thunder.  Excited considering most models missed MBY.  

27 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Really watching these storms as they approach Ohio. It seems the best environment is Coldwater to Fort Wayne & Findlay to Toledo. Anything in that square is pretty darn primed at the moment, seeing LI's around -8 and even -9 with LL lapse rates at 8° C/KM. Shear is solid but helicity is pretty low, a little higher around Hillsdale & Lenawee Counties so maybe something could spin up around there if it's discrete.

Jinxed me lol, the storm moving into my county imploded 

Probably the most intense storm I've seen here in the 32 yrs living in macomb. Easily gusts over 70 that lasted over 10 mins, close to ping ping size hail. Their wasn't much of a shelf cloud as it approached, which is usually my fav part lol. There's a huge evergreen tree next door that I've been meaning to get cut down for my parents as its west of the house. Luckily that didn't come down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1