• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Christmas Cold & maybe snow?! Dec 23rd-30th

Wurbus

Thus far the anecdotal evidence presented from the high plains is indicative of an overperformer. With that said I'm not sure how that translates east of the Mississippi 24-36 hrs later. Are we clutching at straws or is there a realistic possibility models are slipping with this? At this point I'd be monitoring available moisture like a hawk.

• Like 3

Can still see some of the resolution problems 
Screenshot_20221221-225043_Chrome.thumb.jpg.81077fed5cbac66e03e48e057e128d1e.jpg
I just don't buy the complete blank of the valley. The plateau has an effect of downsloping but I think it's exaggerating that effect as though the plateau has the elevation of the smokies. I think the models are overdoing the downsloping and underestimating the speed of the cold past the great wall of the Cumberland.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

A moment of silence for @BuCoVaWxfrom that SWVA GFS screwjob. ;) lol. I'd say the same to kv and carver joking too... but the kingsport snowhole is a genuine phenomenon.

LOL.  I just ignore it on modeling.  Being on the river and the EB, we are fighting dynamics most aren't.  LOL.  That said, modeling is often woefully wrong here.  JC should get more w/ this set-up.  There is DEFINITELY a rain shadow here w/ this angle of approach.  But one thing I do watch is sometimes E TN does fill in w/ system like this.  I think 0.5" to 1.5" is pretty reasonable.   I am having a blast tracking this though.  I am gonna set the alarm and watch this front blast through tomorrow night.  Truly, I hope I have power.  Losing power would be fun for about ten minutes....and then no wifi or electricity for days would be pretty awful.   I am definitely worried about power loss with these winds.

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, BuCoVaWx said:

I literally just looked at the GFS right before I saw your post!! It's kind of a real thing here sometimes sadly :(

I have 3 limiting factors I've become conscious of, 1) Big A Mountain downslope for NW flow events. 2) Clinch Mountain downslope for Miller A events. 3) Warm air advection heading all the way up the Clinch to my doorstep although less than everyone SE of me. I think the big issue for Grundy is the low elevation, it's hard to flush out the warm air from the maze that is the Appalachian Plateau.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

LOL.  I just ignore it on modeling.  Being on the river and the EB, we are fighting dynamics most aren't.  LOL.  That said, modeling is often woefully wrong here.  JC should get more w/ this set-up.  There is DEFINITELY a rain shadow here w/ this angle of approach.  But one thing I do watch is sometimes E TN does fill in w/ system like this.  I think 0.5" to 1.5" is pretty reasonable.   I am having a blast tracking this though.  I am gonna set the alarm and watch this front blast through tomorrow night.  Truly, I hope I have power.  Losing power would be fun for about ten minutes....and then no wifi or electricity for days would be pretty awful.   I am definitely worried about power loss with these winds.

The loss of electric is a real possibility. The cut backs on production by the Biden Admin. has already put a strain on the grid. This is worrisome to say the least.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

I just don't buy the complete blank of the valley. The plateau has an effect of downsloping but I think it's exaggerating that effect as though the plateau has the elevation of the smokies.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Think right now we are in no man's land..3 hr increments on the globals isn't helping at the key moments the front comes down into the valley and we are too far out for the hi res mess models. Add in the DGZ being in a very uncommon place, and we get this result. May honestly not know one way or the other on the valley until the event is almost on top of the area.

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic