• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

7 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I'm just not feeling this one.  I was hoping for more spacing between the 2 systems which would give the coastal/Thurs event a better chance for front end loving, but the cutter is close enough to screw it up and put a wreckin ball to any chance of that happening IMO.

I'm pullin for the snow maps shared to have some merit, would be great, but count me out for part 1. 

Part 2 has been rather consistently modeled for some time now, and the anafrontal snow/snow shower deal looks legit for many.  Beyond that and parsing over the ensembles was a real debby, and it may take a while for the "reload" to happen.  Oh well.

Im done with models they are not accurate at all when we need them to be lol. 4-6 days out major snow with cold. but in one model run it goes from costal to lake cutter thats a complete joke :(

6 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I'm just not feeling this one.  I was hoping for more spacing between the 2 systems which would give the coastal/Thurs event a better chance for front end loving, but the cutter is close enough to screw it up and put a wreckin ball to any chance of that happening IMO.

I'm pullin for the snow maps shared to have some merit, would be great, but count me out for part 1. 

Part 2 has been rather consistently modeled for some time now, and the anafrontal snow/snow shower deal looks legit for many.  Beyond that and parsing over the ensembles was a real debby, and it may take a while for the "reload" to happen.  Oh well.

The Lancaster & Lebanon crew will like the 3k NAM at 6z.

Most of this is from the back end for Harrisburg, York, Lancaster this run.

F6C103B5-EF44-4691-887A-F14B3E97BFAF.png

10B05D51-4CDF-41AC-836D-6A33113EAE45.png

8 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The Lancaster & Lebanon crew will like the 3k NAM at 6z.

Most of this is from the back end for Harrisburg, York, Lancaster this run.

F6C103B5-EF44-4691-887A-F14B3E97BFAF.png

10B05D51-4CDF-41AC-836D-6A33113EAE45.png

yeah there's definitely a decent shot at white christmas for some/many.  Prob down here is that we will be warmed up at the surface and timing of best anafrontal snows will likely be during the fropa and we may lose precious stickage.  Point im getting at is that for us SE'rs the window is rather small for it to work.  It sure can, but I'm keeping expectations in check and hoping for the festivus miracle from Mo Nature.  At the minimum, most if not all of us should see flakes flyin at the right time of year.  Just not sure that it add's up to more than a dusting.  

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

yeah there's definitely a decent shot at white christmas for some/many.  Prob down here is that we will be warmed up at the surface and timing of best anafrontal snows will likely be during the fropa and we may lose precious stickage.  Point im getting at is that for us SE'rs the window is rather small for it to work.  It sure can, but I'm keeping expectations in check and hoping for the festivus miracle from Mo Nature.  At the minimum, most if not all of us should see flakes flyin at the right time of year.  Just not sure that it add's up to more than a dusting.  

There should be sudden rapid temperature drop as soon as that front crosses. It won’t take much to whiten up the ground and keep it for Christmas with the frigid temps.

I am hoping for a solid dusting to remain for Christmas.

5 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

There should be sudden rapid temperature drop as soon as that front crosses. It won’t take much to whiten up the ground and keep it for Christmas with the frigid temps.

I am hoping for a solid dusting to remain for Christmas.

Yeah I understand how they work, but as others have stated, while they CAN work, many times we get a brief burst (to whiten ground) and many times can see the clearing already coming off to out west. 

Trust me when I say I'm pulling for it to happen for all of us, but anafrontal snows are really tough SE of the blue mtn.  History supports that despite what the models show.  Whitening of the ground is a reasonable guess, but it has far more bust potential IMO.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah I understand how they work, but as others have stated, while they CAN work, many times we get a brief burst (to whiten ground) and many times can see the clearing already coming off to out west. 

Trust me when I say I'm pulling for it to happen for all of us, but anafrontal snows are really tough SE of the blue mtn.  History supports that despite what the models show.  Whitening of the ground is a reasonable guess, but it has far more bust potential IMO.  

This is no ordinary cold front.

I think that GFS run last night was crazy & not happening.

I think a dusting to solid coating is in play for most of us.

• Like 1

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service State College PA
338 AM EST Wed Dec 21 2022

PAZ025-026-034>036-212300-
/O.NEW.KCTP.WW.Y.0027.221222T1000Z-221222T2000Z/
Blair-Huntingdon-Bedford-Fulton-Franklin-
Including the cities of Altoona, Huntingdon, Mount Union,
Bedford, McConnellsburg, and Chambersburg

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM TO 3 PM EST
THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow accumulations
  of 1 to 3 inches and ice accumulations of up to one tenth of
  an inch.

* WHERE...Blair, Huntingdon, Bedford, Fulton and Franklin
  Counties.

* WHEN...From 5 AM to 3 PM EST Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
  conditions will impact the morning commute and holiday travel.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Wintry mix should transition to rain during
  the mid to late afternoon.

• Like 1

Just now, Blizzard of 93 said:

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service State College PA

PAZ025-026-034>036-212300-
/O.NEW.KCTP.WW.Y.0027.221222T1000Z-221222T2000Z/
Blair-Huntingdon-Bedford-Fulton-Franklin-
Including the cities of Altoona, Huntingdon, Mount Union,
Bedford, McConnellsburg, and Chambersburg

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM TO 3 PM EST
THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow accumulations
  of 1 to 3 inches and ice accumulations of up to one tenth of
  an inch.

* WHERE...Blair, Huntingdon, Bedford, Fulton and Franklin
  Counties.

* WHEN...From 5 AM to 3 PM EST Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
  conditions will impact the morning commute and holiday travel.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Wintry mix should transition to rain during
  the mid to late afternoon.

ALEET! Just for @Bubbler86 & @MAG5035 at this time.

Perhaps more counties later on?

44 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

MDT is running -0.9 in temps for the month to date.

We have had issues with placement of features, timing and storm track….but cold air has not been the issue this month for the lack of snow thus far.

Was thinking that very thing the last couple days.  Despite the no snow part, it really has been a rather normal winter with enough cold around.  Like you said, we just have some of the other right parts in the wrong places.  

I'm also going to add that while there is no good looking snow threats other than our analfrontal :P event (that was funny), it really isnt a dumpster fire look either as we move beyond Christmas. 

PNA headed positive should help with keeping ridging out west

NAO still negative

AO still negative - both of these keep the cold close here in the east

MJO low amp thru 5/6 (low amp is not an overwhelming signal, but after the novel I wrote yesterday-gonna keep an eye on it as that may be enough to continue to screw things up for us)

Boiled down, its no blockbuster drool worthy pattern, but not necessarily a shutout deal either.  Going to keep a casual eye on things and hope something pops up.  As we are entering peak climo for snow/stickage, something is still possible.

• Like 1