Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh, PA/Western PA Fall/Winter Discussion 2022-23

3 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Oh boy that should be fun lol. 

Honestly though if you aren't coming through until later in the day Friday outside of the mountains hopefully the roads in the low lands will be treated and reasonable to drive on.

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking. Might get a little sketchy around Beckley/NRG, but thankfully that route sticks to fairly low elevation.

2 minutes ago, TimB said:

I feel like the Kuchera’s going to overestimate us on this one. No way we’re getting the kind of ratios that an air temp in the single digits would imply in that calculation.

Most likely. I think most would be happy with 3 or 4 inches. Idk if we can achieve that but it's atleast possible. Definitely will be watching the mix line on this one.

8 minutes ago, TimB said:

I feel like the Kuchera’s going to overestimate us on this one. No way we’re getting the kind of ratios that an air temp in the single digits would imply in that calculation.

Hard to say what ratios will be like. But the bulk of the time that moisture and cold overlap (per the GFS anyway), Is pretty much ideal for dendrite growth. As for whether they get obliterated by the wind, no clue

download (5).png

8 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

It won't let me post it but the real story will be the winds. Euro is showing our area with up to 60 mph gusts. 

I was going to say if those Euro forecast gusts are accurate, easily 45-55mph, it doesn't really matter if you get 4 inches or 1 inch, the snow will be blown around so much any un-sheltered area will be lucky to have a coating. Still hopefully enough to give the landscape that picturesque look. My bar is low, total fail is bare brown ground, even a light cover will do. Hopefully the wind blows all the snow off my roof into the front yard. :lol:

Snow totals are going to come down to short range models really but if I had to guess its a pretty low ceiling now, 3 tops.

Just now, olafminesaw said:

Lol, yeah, I've noticed the Thursday night forecast has been broken all day. Or is this just how it works and is pulling the afternoon temperature based on when the cut off timeframe they set for the low temp? Either way, seems like a good way to confuse the public.

TWC isn’t any better.

6E506A22-1805-4A3A-A0B7-782908AC2289.jpeg.92d91ed94c3b7a4de2d42a660f6f17ec.jpeg

11 minutes ago, TimB said:

TWC isn’t any better.

6E506A22-1805-4A3A-A0B7-782908AC2289.jpeg.92d91ed94c3b7a4de2d42a660f6f17ec.jpeg

I guess there's too much going on, they'd have to write a novel.  Obviously once these temperatures drop below freezing it's going to snow.

What's weird is TWC has 26 for the Thursday low and NWS has 10.  So, that's more of an issue with regard to the flash freeze potential.

2 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

I guess there's too much going on, they'd have to write a novel.  Obviously once these temperatures drop below freezing it's going to snow.

What's weird is TWC has 26 for the Thursday low and NWS has 10.  So, that's more of an issue with regard to the flash freeze potential.

Fact of the matter is we’ll be down to 10 at some point Friday morning, regardless of semantics.

4 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Correct, but timing is super important for the freeze.

Right, I guess that's the issue is technically the NWS forecast is correct. But it makes it look like the temp will drop to 10 in the early morning before rising to 33 in the afternoon. The only way I can think to present this better is to make the low match the high and put the little arrow indicator showing that the temp falls throughout the day. (None of this really matters, I just think it's wonky)