Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2022 OBS Thread

Maxwell03

8 hours ago, JTA66 said:

People hoard gold and MRE’s for the apocalypse. What the pandemic taught me is to hoard alcohol, toilet paper and now Reese’s.

75F/DP 65F

We bought some "navy" sized bottles of rum, gin, vodka and tequila at the start. (Calling them "navy size" is a holdover from when my wife and I were in the service many years ago. Kind of a running joke in our little group of still-connected vets. But I digress.) They have all sat, unopened and unloved this entire time since none of us are huge consumers of liquor. My wife and I are mostly beer people, but it's kinda harder to stock up what we thought would have to have been a many-month supply of that. I've also been out of the brewing game for a while and we didn't really have the means to begin brewing again at that time. This was back when we all thought the liquor and beverage stores would be closing indefinitely. I mean, I did buy around 4 cases of lager to hopefully tide us over, but we were all flying blind back then. And then the stores never really closed, so that's why the liquor cabinet has remained fully stocked for over 2 years.

Anyway, I just find it interesting to look back and try to remember what our exact thought process was like back then. Maybe it'll come in handy as barter material when the real apocalypse happens.

Received .06" yesterday. Today's forecast is calling for around an inch, but I just don't see it. Maybe all of you to the south and east, but not us. Enjoying the relatively cool breeze right now though.

Regarding this current weather snapshot, you can see we are fully covered in green and though the ground surface is certainly wet, there's nothing in the gauge, and nothing falling from the sky right now. I maintain that something's screwy with the radars recently. 

3ddePBe.png

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, RedSky said:

Reese's has been slowly degrading their peanut butter cups over the years now there must be only a small bit of peanut butter in them they taste artificial and blah

Amazon has 3 - 1/2 pound Reese's cups w/only 17 left so Reese's hysteria has kicked in. They're flying off the shelves like the Wonka bar...

This is another one of those cases where the radar's bark is worse than the bite. Ground is barely wet but I've been under solid dark greens.

80F/DP 66F 

receese.jpg

On 7/30/2022 at 5:10 PM, JTA66 said:

Halloween stuff showing up on store shelves, back-to-school commercials on the radio…stick a fork in it, summer is done!

(Feel free to bump this post on Thursday.) :P

I saw pumpkin spice beer on the shelves of one of my local beer stores a week ago. Like, what? Who wants pumpkin beer in July! And it's always sold out around the time you'd actually want it, around T-day. smh

18 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Now you can just go to Wawa, lol. I got 2 warnings from a Maryland state trooper once, in part as a result of my wife and I picking up some Reese's and a Kit Kat bar at a rest stop. It's a long (but funny) story.

Please do tell, maybe on the OT thread!

71°F here now, windows open. More phantom rain incoming from the west.

30 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Amazon has 3 - 1/2 pound Reese's cups w/only 17 left so Reese's hysteria has kicked in. They're flying off the shelves like the Wonka bar...

This is another one of those cases where the radar's bark is worse than the bite. Ground is barely wet but I've been under solid dark greens.

80F/DP 66F 

receese.jpg

Pft the big ones suck it's like they put even more artaficial filler in them.

* why spell artaficial like this? Because my spell checker says artificial is incorrect I dunno something is up with ai lol

Ended up with 0.04" of rain yesterday giving me 1..65" total for the month of July.  And thankfully more passed over here this morning and I pretty much finished with 0.34" (total 0.38" for 2 days), and I'll take it given that this may be it for much of the rest of the week.

Bottomed out at 66 this morning and it's currently overcast, misty, and 67 with dp 66.

Some more needed rain has fallen across the county since last evening. Totals include 0.68" at East Nantmeal, 0.77" in Elverson, 0.62" at Marsh Creek and 0.61" in Downingtown.
We finished the month of July at only slightly warmer than normal at +0.5 degrees to average. Contrast this with Philadelphia who finishes July a whopping +3.4 degrees above normal including 19 days over 90 degrees...only 1 such day in East Nantmeal and 4 at the Coatesville Airport. image.png.942c91baddb25666faf6cbf73f6af670.png

Ended up with .45" overnight, so not bad. July this year saw 3.61", while July 2021 saw 5.31". I'm going to update my nano-climatology charts probably tomorrow now that I have June and July captured for two consecutive years.

In other news, our zucchinis are mostly spent (we planted too many in too small a space, and then the heat just zapped their will to live), and the SLF are attacking my cucumber plants, but not really anything else. Makes me kinda nervous for next year when we're planning on growing watermelon (cucumbers are part of the melon family). We'll have to find a way to combat them I guess. This is our first year growing a garden so we're pretty OK with it being a "learning year" for us, and our yields so far have been promising--the cherry tomatoes are producing like gangbusters, and the Brandywines and San Marzanos are looking promising as well. The pole beans are just now (finally) starting to flower, and the carrots, onions, garlic and potatoes seem to be doing quite well. The lessons learned will be quite invaluable next year.

Not looking forward to Thursday, looks like it'll be a scorcher.

Some final July climate data from around Chester County - overall a very near normal temperature month with below normal rainfall.
Glenmoore finished with an avg. temp of 76.1 this is 0.4 degrees above normal. (29th warmest July out of 66 years of record) and 4.02" of rain (0.72" below normal)
East Nantmeal Township finished with an avg temp of 74.5 or 0.5 degrees above normal (62nd warmest July out of 129 years of record)and 3.71" of rain (1.17" below normal)
KMQS Airport in Coatesville avg. temp 75.7 or +0.5 degrees above normal (8th warmest July out of only 15 years of record)

8 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Ended up with .45" overnight, so not bad. July this year saw 3.61", while July 2021 saw 5.31". I'm going to update my nano-climatology charts probably tomorrow now that I have June and July captured for two consecutive years.

In other news, our zucchinis are mostly spent (we planted too many in too small a space, and then the heat just zapped their will to live), and the SLF are attacking my cucumber plants, but not really anything else. Makes me kinda nervous for next year when we're planning on growing watermelon (cucumbers are part of the melon family). We'll have to find a way to combat them I guess. This is our first year growing a garden so we're pretty OK with it being a "learning year" for us, and our yields so far have been promising--the cherry tomatoes are producing like gangbusters, and the Brandywines and San Marzanos are looking promising as well. The pole beans are just now (finally) starting to flower, and the carrots, onions, garlic and potatoes seem to be doing quite well. The lessons learned will be quite invaluable next year.

Spoke w/my old man who sure knows a helluva more about gardening than myself. He received 13 solid looking zucchini in his first batch. (I'll be picking up a couple this week) And already planted his second crop. He gets two crops per summer if you time it correctly. And he always says "Don't bunch them in....they need to breathe."

68F/DP 67F

9 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

I salute anyone trying and managing to get 1/2 a garden of veggies going this year considering how out-of-whack the weather has been - excessive rain in spring, late frosts/freezes in May, and then the inconsistent rain along with the heat.  I overwinter some citrus and a fig and was late getting those out. I have blueberries that had the rare occurrence of flowers getting frost-killed (over the years they normally were fine but this year not so much). Decided to just have some herbs (in a raised planter) and call it a season. 

In any case as an OBS - thanks to the overcast nearly all day yesterday, I never reached 80, where my high was 77.  The sun did finally come out late in the afternoon.

As for today, my low was 68 and it's currently sunny and 70 with dp 70.

Our record high for today is 100 degrees set in 1955. The record low is 47 degrees from 1959. The daily rainfall record is 2.00" set back in 1950.
Only made it to the low 70's yesterday. With now 6 of our last 7 days featuring below normal temps across our county. However, temps will begin to warm to slightly above average both today and tomorrow before we have our next chance at a 90 degree day on Thursday. After that we will see some unsettled weather as we head toward the weekend with temps back down into the 80's. Still no "heat waves" in East Nantmeal this summer. image.png.0651d141550e51af751025fc88ad23fa.png

Happy 8/2--a "cross quarter day", mid point of astronomical summer. Also on Friday 8/5, most of us max out our average daily high temps for the summer before we begin the slow descent and bottom out in early Feb. Just trying to find something/anything positive as we approach our next heatwave. 

78F/DP 72F 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

Yep...while in the burbs....

image.png.b81ad292853d1c83be83269121dc848a.png

Philly suffers from the "urban heat island" effect. (high amounts of exposed asphalt, concentration of old buildings/black rooftops, congestion of cars/trucks) Nothing they can do about it. If Philly's landscape was similar to the burbs they would have no where near the amount of 90 degree days as they do currently. So in essence Philly's high temps have much to do w/environment along w/weather...

85F/ DP 70F

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

Happy 8/2--a "cross quarter day", mid point of astronomical summer. Also on Friday 8/5, most of us max out our average daily high temps for the summer before we begin the slow descent and bottom out in early Feb. Just trying to find something/anything positive as we approach our next heatwave. 

78F/DP 72F 

Don't weekly average highs wane after mid July?