• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hottest Weather So Far Lies Ahead for Phoenix

4 hours ago, raindancewx said:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/arizona/articles/2021-08-12/census-phoenix-goodyear-buckeye-among-fastest-growing

Phoenix was the fastest-growing big city in the United States between 2010 and 2020 as it added 163,000 more residents, according to data released Thursday by the U.S. Census Bureau.

All of the top 4 fastest growing metro areas (DFW, Phoenix, Houston and Atlanta) have hot climos.

SLC is next to the Great Salt Lake, which is evaporating into thin air, leaving behind a toxic crust. Which the hot winds will blow into one of the nation's fastest growing metros from time to time.

I'm sure it will all be fine. :)

My point is we have direct evidence from population growth that warming places that are already very hot have no impact on moving or home buying / rental decisions. On a relative basis, you'll never ever see the types of "record" heat relative to averages in the Southwest that you can in other places. Any run of the mill +5 to +10 day for highs in July is within spitting distance of all-time record heat for large portions of New Mexico, Arizona, etc. It's nothing like cooler climates where you can feasibly get +20 to +30 or more warmth in the Summer with much greater probability. The difference between normal and near-record heat is barely even noticeable to most people who live in these places.

50 minutes ago, raindancewx said:

My point is we have direct evidence from population growth that warming places that are already very hot have no impact on moving or home buying / rental decisions.

I got your point. My post was just more evidence towards proving your point.

I know on weather forums like this, folks tend to be overwhelmingly in love with snow and prefer colder weather, but that doesn't necessarily translate into the real world with the brisk migration that's been ongoing to the Sunbelt over the past 40 years.

• Like 2

Earlier today, Phoenix recorded a low temperature of 87°. That would easily surpass the existing mark of 83°, which was set in 2014 and tied in 2016. Through 3:25 PST, Phoenix has a high temperature of 113°. That breaks the daily record of 111° set in 1978. Finally, the daily mean temperature is 100.0°. That is the earliest such mean temperature on record. The prior mark was set just last year on June 15.

101*, the forecast tomorrow, ties a 1902 record in Houston.  'Luckily', dewpoints mix down to 70* keeping us from a heat advisory.  Houston did all of 2021 w/o reaching 100*.  Larry Cosgrove, retired met, thinks 1980 and 2011 are analog years for Texas, both were disasters, the 2011 wildfires left, literally, thousands homeless.  You can still see some of the burnt trees near Bastrop driving from Houston to Austin.  Austin had fires in the hills just outside of town, more people, another 2011 could burn a lot of homes there.

• Like 1

Sort of OT, except not, on the Climate Change, I saw on TV (no idea the source) the Western Plains and West Coast were settled during an unusual climactic wet period, tree ringss show the West was usually drier, and is returning to normal (or maybe a bit beyond), and nobody knew it, but the Western Plains and SW were never meant for the current population density.  The story of the SoCal water wars/Mulholland, Los Angeles should never have been as densely settled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

101*, the forecast tomorrow, ties a 1902 record in Houston.  'Luckily', dewpoints mix down to 70* keeping us from a heat advisory.  Houston did all of 2021 w/o reaching 100*.  Larry Cosgrove, retired met, thinks 1980 and 2011 are analog years for Texas, both were disasters, the 2011 wildfires left, literally, thousands homeless.  You can still see some of the burnt trees near Bastrop driving from Houston to Austin.  Austin had fires in the hills just outside of town, more people, another 2011 could burn a lot of homes there.

A Heat advisory has now been issued for Houston as well.

In fact, almost the entire states of OK and TX are under a heat advisory for the weekend.

• Like 3

high/low/average of the day

June 5 102/78/90   

June 6 105/79/92
June 7 , high 107, missing data for low temp   
June 8 110/84/97  
June 9 109/84/97  

June 10 112/87/99.5 (technically, 100 which is the earliest 100 degree daily average temperature)

r8tYf8k.jpg

4 hours ago, Chinook said:

high/low/average of the day

June 5 102/78/90   

June 6 105/79/92
June 7 , high 107, missing data for low temp   
June 8 110/84/97  
June 9 109/84/97  

June 10 112/87/99.5 (technically, 100 which is the earliest 100 degree daily average temperature)

r8tYf8k.jpg

Phoenix finished with a high of 113 making the mean temperature 100.0. 

45 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Galveston broke a June minimum low temperature record today, they didn't go below 85*F.

Today would be the second consecutive day. Yesterday, Galveston recorded a minimum temperature of 85°. That was the earliest such minimum temperature on record. The prior mark was 85°, which was set on June 21, 2019. Today’s low would be the 30th record-tying or record-breaking warm minimum temperature since April 1.

• 1 month later...

Through the first two weeks of July, Phoenix has a summer mean temperature of 95.6°.  That ranks as the 4th hottest temperature on record for the period from June 1 through July 14 going back to 1896. For all of summer, 11/12 (92%) of summers with a mean temperature of 94.5° or above have occurred since 2000 and half have occurred since 2010. Five of the last seven summers met or exceeded the 94.5° average.

Yesterday, Phoenix had a low temperature of 94. That tied the daily record from 2010 and was just the 12th 94 or above low temperature in July (16th overall). Such outcomes have increased in Phoenix's warmer climate (Mean July lows: 1961-1990: 81.0F; 1991-2020: 84.2F). 

The distribution of Phoenix’s July low temperatures is below (1961-1990 vs. 1991-2020).

image.jpeg.38afe972186a396c1e22dba8c0501bfa.jpeg

3 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Phoenix recorded just its 7th 95-degree low on record this morning. Records go back to August 1895.

image.jpeg.5877b409d9c64c81863910b76c8eaf6b.jpeg

What's amazing (bad) is that every single min temp of 93+ in their historical record has occurred since 2003.

And, in the entire 75-year period up through 1969, there were only two min temps of 90+ (one day with 90, one day with 91).

• Like 1

On the Texas subforum, DFW has broken their all time max minimum and all time average daily temperature record.  Houston is breaking records from 1980, the benchmark year (along w/ 2011) for heat.  I still lived up North in 1980, I remember all the 2011 wildfires rather well.

I hope the monsoon helps Phoenix.  There is nothing short term to help Texas, except maybe the tropics, and the same ridge that drives record heat deflects any TCs away from Texas.  Although Allen, landfall on the border, did interrupt the Texas heatwave in 1980.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

On the Texas subforum, DFW has broken their all time max minimum and all time average daily temperature record.  Houston is breaking records from 1980, the benchmark year (along w/ 2011) for heat.  I still lived up North in 1980, I remember all the 2011 wildfires rather well.

I hope the monsoon helps Phoenix.  There is nothing short term to help Texas, except maybe the tropics, and the same ridge that drives record heat deflects any TCs away from Texas.  Although Allen, landfall on the border, did interrupt the Texas heatwave in 1980.

There are hints of the pattern breaking down (though maybe only temporarily) late next week into next weekend.

I suspect it will be similar to what happened in the last week of June, which was still dry but at least there were seasonably cool temperatures for that short period.

Persistent -NAO blocking has prevented this Summer from probably being as bad (or worse) than 1980 and 2011, although at this pace, 2022 might end up being a top 3 worst.