Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2021-22: Final Grade

WxWatcher007

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Although close, I never quite kissed 40” in 95-96 and 04-05. Maybe some others did. 

40" is really hard to do....a few spots got it in 1995-1996....not sure anyone did in 2004-2005, maybe briefly down near PYM but even there probably not. 2014-2015 is really the only season that did it in the coastal plain in a widespread fashion.

ORH hills are a different animal...you aren't going to compete with their longer term snow depths if you are on the CP.

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Although close, I never quite kissed 40” in 95-96 and 04-05. Maybe some others did. 

Not many in 95-96 except maybe for a day, as the January downpours blew away what was looking to be a real pack.  Only time in 130 winters that Farmington lost 32" of depth in January, and probably no other January is close.  (Depth records only began in 1941 but I'm confident of the above comment.)

44 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

40" is really hard to do....a few spots got it in 1995-1996....not sure anyone did in 2004-2005, maybe briefly down near PYM but even there probably not. 2014-2015 is really the only season that did it in the coastal plain in a widespread fashion.

ORH hills are a different animal...you aren't going to compete with their longer term snow depths if you are on the CP.

I get that....we down slope and they don't.  I just making the point that I feel as though the CJ zone also has a bit greater of a shot than my area.

38 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I get that....we down slope and they don't.  I just making the point that I feel as though the CJ zone also has a bit greater of a shot than my area.

Did the Reading guy stop reporting? Looks like a lot of missing data now.

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Did the Reading guy stop reporting? Looks like a lot of missing data now.

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think so.

That's too bad...it was a pristine coop....those are getting rarer and rarer these days.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Funny that he's with Robert Skilling who used to lead the Blue Hills Observatory and also has good data out of Hingham. I know he's getting up there in age too. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I give it a C , average winter . Not bad at all in Bedford Ma . Keep in mind I think climo here is always setting snow lovers up for a disappointing Season compared to what we want .

It was def. somewhat below climo in that area. Probably around 50" there...over 10" under climo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That blizzard was a top 3 screw-job for me....right up there with PD II and 12/5/03. The latter is still the worse, though..that bitch dropped 3' like 10 miles from me lol

I was dumbfounded when I heard those 30-36" reports on the north shore lol. Sort of a pork job where I lived in Marshfield too, but different reasons. About 20-22" here I think locally of man snow. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I was dumbfounded when I heard those 30-36" reports on the north shore lol. Sort of a pork job where I lived in Marshfield too, but different reasons. About 20-22" here I think locally of man snow. 

Peabody had like 38"...I had 11-12" in Wilmington, and the next town south in Woburn had 26"...like 5 miles away.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

There is a reason I would rather deal with a rain/snow line than those cold/powdery blizzards....my area is always at risk of a subby zone in those.

Then again Jan 05, Jan 15, and Mar 18 were pretty cold and good for you too. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Then again Jan 05, Jan 15, and Mar 18 were pretty cold and good for you too. 

Not always, but the risk is higher in those. March 2018 had a rain/snow line, so that doesn't count...even in my area it began as rain, which made me happy..I knew I was in luck when that happened.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Not always, but the risk is higher in those. March 2018 had a rain/snow line, so that doesn't count...even in my area it began as rain, which made me happy..I know I was in luck when that happened.

Yeah it got cold as it went on. That was a nice placement of mid level lows too. But porked not too far to your NW and a lot of CT west of Steve. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah it got cold as it went on. That was a nice placement of mid level lows too. But porked not too far to your NW and a lot of CT west of Steve. 

Something has to give sooner rather than later....2 consecutive climo or shitty la ninas and 3 consecutive shitty el ninos......modest el nino next year should be good.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Something has to give sooner rather than later....2 consecutive climo or shitty la ninas and 3 consecutive shitty el ninos......modest el nino next year should be good.

I'm sick and tired of lousy Decembers. It just sets the tone. I know climo is more hostile here in December, but throw us a freaking bone for once. I know we had the December storm in 2020, but that was gone faster than Kevin's undies at bear week in P-Town. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm sick and tired of lousy Decembers. It just sets the tone. I know climo is more hostile here in December, but throw us a freaking bone for once. I know we had the December storm in 2020, but that was gone faster than Kevin's undies at bear week in P-Town. 

That December 2019 event is the only reason my children have any toys left over the course of these past several seasons....maybe 2/1/21 helped, too.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That December 2019 event is the only reason my children have any toys left over the course of these past several seasons....maybe 2/1/21 helped, too.

:lol:  I dealt with the 2019 storm. 2/1/21 definitely was a kick in the nads, but expected. 

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Actually lasted a solid 8 or 9 days here, with the pack barely changing depth despite getting completely wiped out in a 6 hour period. That's a lot more than i can say for most snowstorms down here that usually melt a day or two after if were in the upper 30s and 40s

7 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It was def. somewhat below climo in that area. Probably around 50" there...over 10" under climo.

About that ...they maybe did a touch better as they were higher in the blizzard (17-18”) than Areas just to the north but overall my guess was low to mid 50’s thanks to also a 2 day over performer on super bowl weekend that was forecast to drop an inch and ended up dropping 7” here (Bedford) . I felt like N.NE sort of sucked in the elevated areas that usually pile it up 

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

Bob Lautz Bob Skilling were a part of our Observer group who met yearly on Blue Hill back in the late 80s early 90s. Learned so much from them. Bob L taught me how to use a sling psychrometer. Big loss to the weather community 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah we’re due for some good Decembers. We’ve paid back our surplus from the 2000s at this point. It’s kind of like how we had a pretty long stretch of lousy Marches until 2013 broke it and then we had a bunch of good ones. I’m feeling a december turn-around at some point here soon. 

The funny part though is on paper, the interior had great snow Decembers in 2019 and 2020 but the cutters rendered them pretty mediocre for sensible wx. 2019 did keep pack most of the month but it had the same feel as this winter where it was often thin and icy because it was leftovers from a cutter.  Last really wintry December here was 2017.