• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 11th-13th Winter Weather Event. Winter's last gasp?

Windspeed

1 minute ago, Carvers Gap said:

Looks like it has a SE trend as well.  I am only out to hour 50 or so.  Looks like it may make a clean pass.

Yeah it looked like it flattened the system out a bit and made a clean pass. Will be interesting to see how all this plays out in March. Is the reality of the system more amped and does it have more precip?

I'll be in Boone, so John upstream from me should be locked into half a foot, lol. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Could be power issues if the totals are legit.  

With the temps crashing into the 20s so fast, I think it might be less hard on the power grid here. An initial sleet burst is also intriguing. Sleet accumulates more easily than anything else, it may lay down a quick base coat to aid in accumulations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is a battle between a very strong cold front and a storm that will want to pull north along that front.  To me, it looks like the front is pushing and forcing the storm just a hair eastward at 12z.  That allows for a hair less organization.  I will have to look at the norms, but this might be the strongest front relative to norms IMBY.  Remember, in NE TN many of these fronts got hung up before getting here.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Just thinking out loud… less GOM, less warm nose = higher ratios?

I was laughing, because if I speak in an absolute...I will certainly be wrong.  Yes, I think that sounds about right.  Not sure about ratios, but I think it possible that the cold charges in more quickly.  Best case is modeling holds/consolidates the track from 12z and then ups totals as they begin to see the system.  A GOM system to inside Hatteras could be pretty strong.  Strung out could cause thermal profile issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

With the temps crashing into the 20s so fast, I think it might be less hard on the power grid here. An initial sleet burst is also intriguing. Sleet accumulates more easily than anything else, it may lay down a quick base coat to aid in accumulations.

Yeah, that would be a good thing and quite possibly allow for the higher end totals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

I look at track.  Once that gets relatively nailed down, then time to wait and see if modeling begins to up totals like some March storms can do from time to time.  March storms can sometimes verify stronger than modeled.  Time will tell.  

Bingo ! Excellent point Carvers. I've saw many March storms overperform by a large margin.

• Like 1

Just looking over some archived data of the March 2-3 1942 Snowstorm. 

That storm tracked from around Mobile thru the upstate then west of Hatteras to off Jersey Coast.

That Storm still stands as the biggest Snowfall in most of Lee County on Record. Reportedly 34" in Jonesville. 36" in Pennington gap we're measured. Asheville received 16" from it.

That Storm dumped on a huge area. Stretching from Ne Ga to Maine and back to eastern Ohio Valley.

Of course, this one will be nothing like that although, track and some 500 mb features are similar.

You can find map data on NOAA's daily weather map archived page. Also, photos from Pittsburgh of it where over 2 feet fell.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Just looking over some archived data of the March 2-3 1942 Snowstorm. 

That storm tracked from around Mobile thru the upstate then west of Hatteras to off Jersey Coast.

That Storm still stands as the biggest Snowfall in most of Lee County on Record. Reportedly 34" in Jonesville. 36" in Pennington gap we're measured. Asheville received 16" from it.

That Storm dumped on a huge area. Stretching from Ne Ga to Maine and back to eastern Ohio Valley.

Of course, this one will be nothing like that although, track and some 500 mb features are similar.

You can find map data on NOAA's daily weather map archived page. Also, photos from Pittsburgh of it where over 2 feet fell.. 

Knoxville got 12+ from that one as well. 

• Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic