• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 11th-13th Winter Weather Event. Winter's last gasp?

Windspeed

5 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Wow, the LP looked stronger this run. I guess we don't want it to strengthen too much or it  could cut on the other side of the mountains, correct? Is there there anything keeping this from happening? 

I'll let the experts chime in about keeping it on the other side of the Apps, but it was 4mb stronger that run. I'm all for stronger as long as it stays in NC though!

• Like 1

Should have the 18z Euro in range this evening. Wishing I hadn't cancelled that Storm Vista weather subscription for the ultra fast Euro, lol. 

Thanks for all the updates, I've been out on a hike on the upper Cumberland plateau today. Beautiful calm day, but the cliffs were hanging on to the cold of winter. 

Here is the 18z Euro(left) compared to the 12z Euro(right).  Very similar look w/ may a slightly slower and very slightly westward track.  The 18z Euro would have likely hammered E TN.  Accumulation maps stop right before it swings by and right as it deepens.  Notice the 18z Euro is much strong...991 vs 995.  Right now we are seeing a ramp up of intensity on modeling.  

Screen_Shot_2022-03-08_at_7.25.30_PM.png

Here is the 18z GEFS(left) compared to the 12z GEFS(right).  
Screen_Shot_2022-03-08_at_7.23.36_PM.png

• Like 5

18z Euro doesn't have energy handoff as the primary appears to originate along the GOM near the Mississippi/Alabama border.  That is a near perfect tract for a storm.  There is a warm nose prior to the main area of slp forming.  Cold is just crashing into the back of this system.  This might be a deal where the storm forms and lifts NNE vs ENE.  This is a true March storm track if real.  I feel a little less optimistic about MBY, but growing confident that this storm could be significant for some in the forum area.

5 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Here is the 18z Euro(left) compared to the 12z Euro(right).  Very similar look w/ may a slightly slower and very slightly westward track.  The 18z Euro would have likely hammered E TN.  Accumulation maps stop right before it swings by and right as it deepens.  Notice the 18z Euro is much strong...991 vs 995.  Right now we are seeing a ramp up of intensity on modeling.  

Screen_Shot_2022-03-08_at_7.25.30_PM.png

Here is the 18z GEFS(left) compared to the 12z GEFS(right).  
Screen_Shot_2022-03-08_at_7.23.36_PM.png

Carver, is there anything to keep this from going more NW? I've noticed the stronger trend and am kind of worried about an Ohio valley special. A few more ticks west and we could looking at rain. But yeah, it did look like the east was about to get hammered on the 18z and ensemble support is increasing so not really sure at this point. This has the makings of a great storm for the valley if holds. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silas Lang said:

Carver, is there anything to keep this from going more NW? I've noticed the stronger trend and am kind of worried about an Ohio valley special. A few more ticks west and we could looking at rain. But yeah, it did look like the east was about to get hammered on the 18z and ensemble support is increasing so not really sure at this point. This has the makings of a great storm for the valley if holds. 

Just looking at the surface pressure map, there is not banana high over the top.  What would keep it from coming way NW is that there is a monster cold shot that is acting as a kicker.  Some of the storms this winter have trended quickly NW as they were nearly cut-off from the jet.  This storm is basically sitting in a parabola that will force it to recurve up the coast.  IMHO, it can only come NW only so much.  Now, it could come back far enough that we get some energy transfer and E TN is fighting thermal profiles.  The Plateau looks like money.  With cold crashing into the back of this, quadrants may factor only so much.  I am actually equally concerned this could trend south and east of us...it basically did that on the 6z GFS.  Once it starts coming back NW, I worry less about an OTS solution.  Now, we have to watch the NW jog in E TN.  Middle and the Plateau are just about locked in now.  Back to the original question, the front is going to kick this thing eastward.  Just remember, to get big snows you want to be right on the line where heavy rain turns to heavy snow.

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

In addition and somewhat repetitive on my part....This storm is riding a strong cold front.  It is going to ride that boundary.  As is, just turn that sucker loose where the 18z Euro had it along the GOM...and let's see where it goes!  LOL.  That is a wild look.

• Like 1

For all intents and purposes, this is probably the biggest storm we have tracked this season in terms of potential.  I realize, we can't shovel potential - quote me on that.  LOL.  But a March storm, as John notes, originating in the GOM and just exploding as it races northward is fun to watch.  We don't get to track something like this everyday.  So, regardless of whether is snows in MBY...super fun to track.

• Like 6

Climatology very much supports a snowstorm in this time frame.  I don't know if it is the equinox that is about to occur, but it is crazy how many significant storms have occurred around this time frame(nationwide and not just regionally).  Google March 12th and snow storms - CRAZY.  It could just be that winter breaks about this time at this latitude.  JB pointed out that this winter, after BIG warm-ups, there have winter storms which occur immediately after.  So, that is another point as well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

This looks to have the potential for a classic major March Snowstorm. Looks fairly likely the Plateau will receive a foot or more. Slow this thing down a tad and increase duration and a true to form old fashioned big March snowstorm would result with 1 to 2 feet Totals.

Yeah, it has the look of a legit storm.  I remain wary as I have seen storms slip even which way this winter regarding MBY...but that storm is sitting on pretty much each model now.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Just looking at the surface pressure map, there is not banana high over the top.  What would keep it from coming way NW is that there is a monster cold shot that is acting as a kicker.  Some of the storms this winter have trended quickly NW as they were nearly cut-off from the jet.  This storm is basically sitting in a parabola that will force it to recurve up the coast.  IMHO, it can only come NW only so much.  Now, it could come back far enough that we get some energy transfer and E TN is fighting thermal profiles.  The Plateau looks like money.  With cold crashing into the back of this, quadrants may factor only so much.  I am actually equally concerned this could trend south and east of us...it basically did that on the 6z GFS.  Once it starts coming back NW, I worry less about an OTS solution.  Now, we have to watch the NW jog in E TN.  Middle and the Plateau are just about locked in now.  Back to the original question, the front is going to kick this thing eastward.  Just remember, to get big snows you want to be right on the line where heavy rain turns to heavy snow.

Thanks! Nice to hear we have some factors working in our favor. I guess that snow rain line being close is why we have seen some lollipops in totals near the east on some model runs. 

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic