• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring/Summer 2022 Medium/Long Range Forecast Discussion.

John1122

The 6z GFS and 0z Euro have very similar solutions with an area of slp popping east of the Apps.  We have been playing this game all winter.  The million dollar question is where does that low form?  For now, we are loosely tracking late season, winter storm potential for both the lower and higher elevations.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

We have been playing this game all winter.

Wasn't it the first one of the season that was doing almost this exact same dance? I know, like you said, they've all been pretty dicey, but this one's projected track looks very similar to a specific one. I went back through the gifs and it looks like the it was the Jan 2 -3 storm. 

This is how it looked at around 7 days:

giphy.gif

Here is is once we got in HRRR range:

giphy.gif

I think it ended up being a pretty stout single shortwave:

giphy.gif

This one looks like it has more of a n. stream component to it:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611fbfa98af461f254ab0

Kind of like the one in late January:

giphy.gif

But remember how that one jumped around so much at hour 100 and ended up with a strung out tail (below)?

giphy.gif

The Euro is trying that:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76111196e3fa687cded2c6

Do the shorter wavelengths help us out and keep the southern energy stronger in March? 

I'm going to be in Boone this weekend, so that may give plateau areas an advantage, lol. 

It's a good looking Miller A mean on the GEFS. 

How's TIMs looking today? After its last performance I think we need some tornados in shoulder seasons for it to be fully charged. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Wasn't it the first one of the season that was doing almost this exact same dance? I know, like you said, they've all been pretty dicey, but this one's projected track looks very similar to a specific one. I went back through the gifs and it looks like the it was the Jan 2 -3 storm. 

This is how it looked at around 7 days:

giphy.gif

Here is is once we got in HRRR range:

giphy.gif

I think it ended up being a pretty stout single shortwave:

giphy.gif

This one looks like it has more of a n. stream component to it:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611fbfa98af461f254ab0

Kind of like the one in late January:

giphy.gif

But remember how that one jumped around so much at hour 100 and ended up with a strung out tail (below)?

giphy.gif

The Euro is trying that:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76111196e3fa687cded2c6

Do the shorter wavelengths help us out and keep the southern energy stronger in March? 

I'm going to be in Boone this weekend, so that may give plateau areas an advantage, lol. 

It's a good looking Miller A mean on the GEFS. 

How's TIMs looking today? After its last performance I think we need some tornados in shoulder seasons for it to be fully charged. 

Super similar set-up IMHO.  Models seem to be trending a bit SE.  A cutter west of the Apps or some sort of energy transfer to the coastal plain are possible.  Let's see if trends continue overnight.  If totals increase again tomorrow, modeling may be on to something.  

• Like 1

The Canadian took another step towards the GFS and has a much more widespread event than it did at 12z.  Thread may be needed by tomorrow for this one as long as everything sticks together. Accumulation will be aided by it being an evening into overnight event. Rates will also come into play.  Ground temps are a bit of a factor but can easily be overcome by rates. The huge April 1987 snow had temps the last week of March in the mid to upper 70s, it snowed around 1-2 inches on March 31st after the high being 75 and 71 in the two days before it. Highs were in the 50s on April 1st and 2nd, cold crashed in on the 2nd, as rain started, by the evening of the second silver dollar were falling here, 10-12 inches fell from evening into overnight. It just melts quickly from the ground up when the ground is so warm but it should look amazing for a few hour on Sat morning if we can pull it off.

• Like 4

Long way out there, but the 18z GFS and 12z EPS have another window near the end of the month - maybe around March 27th.  I know a lot of us, me included, are not used to March's of recent memory being part of winter....but the bowling ball lows sliding through the SE only need a cold shot to really get cranking.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Long way out there, but the 18z GFS and 12z EPS have another window near the end of the month - maybe around March 27th.  I know a lot of us, me included, are not used to March's of recent memory being part of winter....but the bowling ball lows sliding through the SE only need a cold shot to really get cranking.  

Yep. Judah Cohen said a Strat split could lead to a cold eastern US. My thinking effects look to be early April. Sure hope not.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2022 at 4:57 AM, John1122 said:

The 18z had a major winter storm. similar to the one we just had, around the 29th. It was gone at 0z but it's been pretty good at sniffing them out a long way out this winter. It has a smaller clipper with snow on the 25th at 0z. 

12z GFS has two opportunities.  One is around the 27th, and then the one you mentioned.  And yes, the GFS has had a real knack for sniffing out storms at range. 

@Icy Hot, yep, enjoying the weather and watching A LOT of basketball.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2022 at 1:27 PM, Carvers Gap said:

12z GFS has two opportunities.  One is around the 27th, and then the one you mentioned.  And yes, the GFS has had a real knack for sniffing out storms at range. 

@Icy Hot, yep, enjoying the weather and watching A LOT of basketball.

It's going to be 74 in Johnson City on the 29th according to TWC. Going to have to be a lot colder than that for it to snow !

3 hours ago, Snownado said:

It's going to be 74 in Johnson City on the 29th according to TWC. Going to have to be a lot colder than that for it to snow !

Yeah, the weather is nice!  I like it.  

The 12z Euro has 4-6" in the mountains for the weekend(this Saturday) along w/ snow showers in the valleys of NE TN.  There is also a lower elevation event along the northern TN border in fantasy land - day9/10.  Both of the biggest snows IMBY this season occurred after big warm-ups.  The pattern this winter has been for big warm-ups followed by sharp cold snaps.  Let's see if that continues into early spring.  Now, we are just about on the outside edge of what climatology allows terms of accumulating snows at TRI.  One of the things I learned out west, warm temps can be gone  in 3-4 hours with a strong cold front.   I would think it unlikely to see another valley snow greater than 2", but I would still put the chances for that between say 25-30%.  There are a TON of systems coming out of the GOM and getting cut-off.  Most of those will be cold rain.  If we get a decent cold front to time with one of those, game on.  Here at TRI, I have seen accumulating snows into the first week of April - rare but no without precedent.  This year's patterns could yield a surprise.  For now, I have been working in my garden, but I have not taken down the hoop house or cold frames.  The weather on modeling right now is going to potentially give folks whiplash in terms of temps.  Just nine days ago the wind chill was in the low single digits IMBY and snow on the ground.  

• Like 3

Fun story which I have shared before and also recently.  

On June 14th, I saw a "lower" elevation snow in Yellowstone.  It was 5" of snow at 6,000'.  That is not uncommon out there during June.  We had beautiful weather for several days, and then winter storms packages were posted from the NWS.  I could literally see the cold/snow roll in from the Madison Range.  It was just a wall.  I have also been in a meadow fishing in YNP when a lightning storm hit.  It rolled in so quickly, we could barely get out of the meadow.  It began to hail, and temps probably fell 20-30 degrees in about 30 minutes.  

Message for the day...wild weather swings can and do occur even here in E TN.  That is by no means a certainty, but that makes weather fun.  I will get a look at the Weeklies here in a bit.  I don't foresee a warm spring, so enjoy these days.  Looks like BN temps may return for the early part of April.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, John1122 said:

A few inches in late April isn't unheard of here. When my grandfather was young, we got 9 inches in May. 

My Dad said his grandfather told him about that. He said the corn was knee high and the snow bent it over but, the sun came out later that day and melted it and the corn made it ok.

Dr Dewpoint had an article of 2 back to back heavy snow's May 20 and 24th 1894 in Central and Eastern Kentucky. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

My Dad said his grandfather told him about that. He said the corn was knee high and the snow bent it over but, the sun came out later that day and melted it and the corn made it ok.

Dr Dewpoint had an article of 2 back to back heavy snow's May 20 and 24th 1894 in Central and Eastern Kentucky. 

My grandpa and great uncle always said the same thing about the corn getting bent over. They went rabbit hunting that morning. 

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic