Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tn Valley Severe Weather

jaxjagman

Just now, 1234snow said:

WJHL was showing a CC drop but very hard to tell if I was an accurate reading. Please be safe in the Kingsport area especially on south side of town.

We're hunkering down in Colonial Heights. Looks to be headed this way according to Radarscope. Y'all be safe! 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:
I am just north of it.  I can hear the thunder with it though.

Seemed to weaken a touch just prior to getting to my location. Still a strong storm but it seems the tornadic activity was no longer being seen on radar by the time it reached here.

Have to admit, seeing that tornado symbol heading toward me on Radarscope was a bit unsettling!

239f8330a1b0d75edb01314d4dcf654c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fortunately, both low level shear and deep layer shear were not enough to sustain a tornado. CC drop could have been a brief touchdown though. We're looking forward to the other kind of touchdowns - from the Vols!

Now.. here in Chattanooga 10am, where the hell are my 60s dewpoints? This 70s stuff is FUBAR.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Storms got real up that way. I think down here (southeast Tenn) the mid-levels never cooled off enough. Got some good lightning and stuff. But it came from skinny towers. Guess I can't say turkey towers with lightning and rain, but they had that scrawny look. Note I might have missed more robust Cu since it was dark, and I relied on lightning only. 

• Like 1

Yeah, this wasn’t nearly as bad as a couple of weeks ago.  Lots of lightning, but thankfully no wind.  Looks like the storms re-intensified some once they crossed I-81.  I was already looking at the backs of my eyelids by the time the storms reached the foothills.  Super common here to have storms lose strength as the reach the city center if Kingsport and then re-fire once they hit Bristol.  Winter snow squalls do something similar.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Monday November 20 is Outlooked. If the warm sector doesn't get a lot of rain, it has potential. SPC isn't too excited about instability, but it's shear season.

Speed and turning from 850 mb to 500 by is quite impressive. Mid levels are not THAT warm. Any sunshine in the warm sector should achieve what little CAPE is required this time of year.

Yes I'm a few days earlier than I normally post. But the weather has been quiet, the Champions Classic has been played, and I really need a new distraction right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

This afternoons runs show the system coming  through Mid Tn faster than showed yesterday.HRRR seems to be a outlier with SBCapes ranging upwards of 1.5K all the way to Nashville.Who know if the NAM is right there should be a decent half way decent tornado threat in Southern TN,North Alabama into the early evening.See what the next runs show.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 1234snow said:

According to the warning a large and dangerous tornado was in Sharon, TN moving northeast toward Dresden, TN

Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service Memphis TN
1148 AM CST Sat Dec 9 2023

TNC053-079-131-183-091830-
/O.CON.KMEG.TO.W.0076.000000T0000Z-231209T1830Z/
Weakley TN-Gibson TN-Obion TN-Henry TN-
1148 AM CST Sat Dec 9 2023

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1230 PM CST FOR
WEAKLEY...NORTHEASTERN GIBSON...SOUTHEASTERN OBION AND WESTERN HENRY
COUNTIES...

At 1148 AM CST, a confirmed large and extremely dangerous tornado was
located over Sharon, or 8 miles south of Martin, moving northeast at
50 mph.

This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW!

HAZARD...Damaging tornado.

SOURCE...Radar confirmed tornado.

IMPACT...You are in a life-threatening situation. Flying debris may
         be deadly to those caught without shelter. Mobile homes
         will be destroyed. Considerable damage to homes,
         businesses, and vehicles is likely and complete destruction
         is possible.

Locations impacted include...
Martin, Paris, McKenzie, Dresden, Dyer, Greenfield, Gleason, Kenton,
Rutherford, Bradford, Sharon, Cottage Grove, Routon, Palmersville,
Puryear, Henry, Sandhill, Jones Mill, Good Luck, and Crossland.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

To repeat, a large, extremely dangerous and potentially deadly
tornado is on the ground. To protect your life, TAKE COVER NOW! Move
to a storm shelter or an interior room on the lowest floor of a
sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile
home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and
protect yourself from flying debris.

&&

LAT...LON 3626 8816 3602 8898 3624 8908 3650 8844
      3650 8838
TIME...MOT...LOC 1748Z 245DEG 45KT 3621 8884

TORNADO...OBSERVED
TORNADO DAMAGE THREAT...CONSIDERABLE
MAX HAIL SIZE...1.00 IN
  • Thanks 1

The Tornado Warning has expired for that one cell so that's good news! Right now, looking at some of the short term modeling, I imagine conditions will be slightly less favorable for eastern middle TN as opposed to west/western mid TN as we continue into the late afternoon/evening hours. Also, based on latest radar trends, I imagine southern KY will need to pay close attention to what's starting to fire. Honestly, I expected storms to cluster out but dynamics might have been underplayed by modeling. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

The Tornado Warning has expired for that one cell.  I expect conditions to be slightly less favorable for most of middle TN as opposed to west TN as we continue in the mid-afternoon, especially east of 65. 

Not sure about that,storm mode looks like it should last until we start to lose diurnal heating ,severe should last until then at least..IMO

• Thanks 1