• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

4 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Agreed, that's why I haven't been posting that much because the writings on the wall already this yr. Like you mentioned, it gets worse and worse with every passing yr, except for the one or two anomalous yrs in there that stand out that are cold and snowy but there becoming few and far between as well so.

Just sold my house and I haven't got a clue where I'm going yet, but I will be going way up in elevation, that's one thing I'm certain about right now but that too can change! Perhaps Vermont or New Hampshire or even the central portion of Maine so we'll see!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

There you are! I was honestly wondering if you were still alive. Head to the Keewenaw Peninsula of Upper Michigan. You'll be on the good side of the increasing amount of disgusting cutters, still have good latitude, AND have elevation (stay away from Houghton for that)....and have almost constant snowpack for 5 to 6 months... I would move there in a heartbeat if the wife agreed.

What a dud of a SWFE event right? I mean come on already, are the Winters of old gone? I mean It snowed for an hour, then it went over to IP then to plain rain, and it changed over quickly. I didn't believe any of the models that were spitting out more than 1/2" of slush and thats exactly what fell, a slushy 1" if that! I guess we're experiencing what Winters will be like if we keep screwing with the Atmosphere like we do, but who really knows! I'll be back when a big one is on its way or a decent LE event but I don't even see that right now. Last week it looked pretty good for the week of Christmas, but that shit the bed as well, lol!!

I wouldn't call 4 to 6 inches "gang busters." But...you've had like an inch of snow this year, so I'll let it slide...as it's understandable...
Yeah, and I wouldn't call what we experienced, a furnace, but definitely warm for mid-December, but I've seen it much warmer than that, so it's all relative, I suppose.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

We have a Mod now? Who?

We don't...but a couple individuals who love to chatter and antagonize (from other subforums and Off-Topic) decided they didn't like our non-weather-related discussion. One of them, a moderator, decided to take it upon oneself to control what is discussed...and started deleting posts and giving warnings. I believe Luke got one? Not sure who else.

3 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Yeah, and I wouldn't call what we experienced, a furnace, but definitely warm for mid-December, but I've seen it much warmer than that, so it's all relative, I suppose.

No, the furnace came two days earlier when we hit 67 degrees. lol

• Like 1

Models look to be increasing our chances a bit of perhaps some lake effect snows on Thursday. It could give us an outside chance of a white Christmas eve and Christmas morning.

Speaking of Christmas morning, the GFS and Canadian are working on it... (I will be in PA starting Friday, so your chances are already increased for something in NY.)

prateptype_cat.us_ne.pngprateptype.us_ne.png

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Models look to be increasing our chances a bit of perhaps some lake effect snows on Thursday. It could give us an outside chance of a white Christmas eve and Christmas morning.

Speaking of Christmas morning, the GFS and Canadian are working on it... (I will be in PA starting Friday, so your chances are already increased for something in NY.)

It's coming :weenie:

gfs_T850_us_61.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 2

9 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

One of them, a moderator, decided to take it upon oneself to control what is discussed...and started deleting posts and giving warnings.

No, the furnace came two days earlier when we hit 67 degrees. lol

Only deleted posts she didn't like.

Dry and cold here this morning, 21. Seems to happen this way all the time... Cold are is nice, but kinda wasted with no precip. Hoping for a Christmas miracle, even if it's only a front-end hit.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

This may seem hard to believe but in the recent past (3 or 4 years ago, maybe 5 now, before the Jonah settled here ;) ) we had an Xmas eve no. Onondaga / so. Oswego cty LES special that gave us 5 or 6" that was very underpredicted. So, hope  does exist around the lakes even when synoptic looks like a loser.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Definitely time for you to just move Bri because you just like warm weather way too much, lol!!

Apparently, I can just stay here and wait for the Global Warming to Sizzle things up. I mean, that 1C change will really make a difference in the rest of my lifespan. :rolleyes:   Cold this a.m. most unsatisfactory.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

This may seem hard to believe but in the recent past (3 or 4 years ago, maybe 5 now, before the Jonah settled here ;) ) we had an Xmas eve no. Onondaga / so. Oswego cty LES special that gave us 5 or 6" that was very underpredicted. So, hope  does exist around the lakes even when synoptic looks like a loser.

Did Bville make it into that band?

This is the only event I can find the last decade or so that started Christmas eve..It dumped 65" in Redfield, 44" in Perrysburg..

The 6th storm of the 2017-2018 season was a classic long-duration 
significant lake effect snow event off of both Lakes Erie and 
Ontario. An initial synoptic low pressure system tracked across the 
region on Christmas Eve bringing a general 3 to 6 inches of snow. 
Behind this leading storm system, a broad upper-level trough 
extended from the northern high plains across the Great Lakes and 
New England, bringing a 3 day supply of cold air advection, synoptic 
moisture and lift in the broad cyclonic flow.  Lake effect snow 
developed immediately on the heels of the departing synoptic system 
early Christmas morning and continued continuously for about 72 
hours, before diminishing late in the day on Wednesday the 27th as 
ridging aloft finally built across the lower Great Lakes

The 12Z GFS is probably the best option we could hope for if we want a "White" Christmas. Front end snow with a change to rain showers. We already know if it's a strong system, it will cut...just keep it flat and move from West to EAST (none of this NE movement crap)....give us our 1 to 3 inches of slush...and fizzle away as it gets shredded.

14 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

This is the only event I can find the last decade or so that started Christmas eve..It dumped 65" in Redfield, 44" in Perrysburg..

The 6th storm of the 2017-2018 season was a classic long-duration 
significant lake effect snow event off of both Lakes Erie and 
Ontario. An initial synoptic low pressure system tracked across the 
region on Christmas Eve bringing a general 3 to 6 inches of snow. 
Behind this leading storm system, a broad upper-level trough 
extended from the northern high plains across the Great Lakes and 
New England, bringing a 3 day supply of cold air advection, synoptic 
moisture and lift in the broad cyclonic flow.  Lake effect snow 
developed immediately on the heels of the departing synoptic system 
early Christmas morning and continued continuously for about 72 
hours, before diminishing late in the day on Wednesday the 27th as 
ridging aloft finally built across the lower Great Lakes

Last year started Christmas Eve. Had 30” from Christmas Eve to Christmas Day. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

If you have to choose 1. 

Exactly. Yes. Lol

In all seriousness, my answer is obvious for me. Consistent snowfalls with deepening snowpack is my kind of winter. I love big snowfalls, but if they melt a few days later that is depressing to me.

So, really, Syracuse in a "NORMAL" winter would be great...as it's nickel and dime city here. But the awful winter patterns have allowed maybe an inch that melts the next day.