Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate/Eastern New York-Into Winter!

11 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

GFS is meh lol FWIW

a9de2d43-6dbc-4fde-bdee-9c0c5ca73785 (1).gif

I'm telling you...our base state weather in winter now is maritime air, a couple hours of lake effect behind a cold front...rinse, repeat. We get like a few weeks to month of some winter, but that's about it. I fully expect our weather to continue like this into December. Pacific Jet ruling the day.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Lol I was saying it as LOW as well, then got corrected. 

Haha! I bet it makes the locals squirm when The Weather Channel pronounces their towns Pulaskeee and Lohhhville. (I personally like those pronunciations better...but then I grew up in Lancaster where any tourist or outside family said, Laaaaaaancaster. I think they do it on person for involuntary eye twitches...)

30 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Lol I was saying it as LOW as well, then got corrected. 

26 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Haha! I bet it makes the locals squirm when The Weather Channel pronounces their towns Pulaskeee and Lohhhville. (I personally like those pronunciations better...but then I grew up in Lancaster where any tourist or outside family said, Laaaaaaancaster. I think they do it on person for involuntary eye twitches...)

Is this true or something some crazy local start spreading around years ago?

Named for Nicholas Low of Dutch decent, I don't think the Dutch treat L's differently. 

2 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

You mean when they pronounce it correctly?

If you like those...try Chili NY.  I have it good authority that it's not pronounced "chilly" as in the food or description of temperature.  It's...wait for it...  Ch-eye-Lie.    Perhaps some of our local ROC people can confirm.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A sharpening upper level trough will move into the Upper Great Lakes
Sunday night with a cold airmass spreading into the Northern Plains
to Mid-West. A surface low around 993mb will track from Northeastern
Ontario to northern Quebec Sunday night into Monday. A strong cold
front will track across western and north central NY Monday.
Southwest winds will rapidly increase especially northeast of the
Lakes with 15-25 mph and gusts up to 40 mph. Rain will transition to
snow, most likely across the higher elevations late Sunday night
then elsewhere Monday morning. Strong cold air advection will bring
850mb temperatures to -10C by Monday afternoon. Lake effect showers
will begin shortly after the cold front moves through a location.
Mean wind will start off as southwest Monday afternoon - evening
before winds veer to the northwest Monday night into Tuesday. Lake
bands east-northeast of the Lakes Monday will shift southward,
targeting southeast of the Lakes.

The cold front Monday will result in falling temperatures Monday
with highs in the morning especially across western NY. Temperatures
will fall into the low to mid 20s Monday night. Most locations will
see snow due to the lake bands veering from the southwest early
Monday to the northwest by Monday night. Several inches of snowfall
is likely east-southeast of the Lakes due to a majority of time the
flow will be westerly-northwesterly.

3 hours ago, tombo82685 said:

I can’t say anything. I’m from Delco in southeast Pa. I pronounce water “wooder”

Um, yeah...we're gonna have to work on that before you come up here........... ;)

3 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

Are we entering the doldrums? I feel like we’re entering the doldrums. 

I think we're already in the doldrums when we spend the majority of the day discussing how to pronounce "i"s and "o"s in town names....

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

35 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Um, yeah...we're gonna have to work on that before you come up here........... ;)

I think we're already in the doldrums when we spend the majority of the day discussing how to pronounce "i"s and "o"s in town names....

Local met put up last winters total and it was 69”. Which by itself sucks but is even worse when you already got that dejavu feeling. 
I just can’t take the bait and switch shit. That pacific just plowing across the continent knocking down any and all ridges and valleys. 
oh well, that’s my bitching for the night. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Local met put up last winters total and it was 69”. Which by itself sucks but is even worse when you already got that dejavu feeling. 
I just can’t take the bait and switch shit. That pacific just plowing across the continent knocking down any and all ridges and valleys. 

Yep. Hey, you just gotta let it out sometimes. This is a safe space. lol

I know we don't want to think, but as I have been saying I see this winter continuing as the past several have. We just can't seem to break the never-ending awful cold season Pacific jet. In learning from recent winters, as we see this same pattern setting up in November or December, we see it going on and on and on. If we can't get a big PNA ridge, it's going to be tough to get cold Canadian air to come down over the Great Lakes and give us Lake effect snow. Without the lakes, it's hard for us to get to normal, as we've seen the past couple winters.

When we rely on a -NAO to give us the cold storms we need, it often ends up suppressing them and the East Coast gets those big storms (which we have seen lots this century.) -NAO relaxes...and we get a cutter.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Lol, well I’m up there Sunday. Going to take the Low out of Lowville 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Yea there is a potent jet extension right now which I believe is being fueled by the mjo stuck in the maritimes 

11 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

Which by itself sucks but is even worse when you already got that dejavu feeling. 

My 1st post of the season and it's going to start out on the negative side of things. Could not agree more, I'm already getting that we are doomed kind of feeling.

• Sad 1

CSF weeklies are pretty much as bad as they come. Raging Pacific flat stream WITH a SE Ridge. Welcome back 20-21 winter. Hopefully we get a break in January because the rest of November and all of December look lost. But it’s the Long Range- they always suck. It was just a week ago that everyone was juiced (well, most everyone) for second half of November. image.thumb.png.6daa2f03a147587cbc6ee19ebc51fd3e.png

• Like 1