Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL Dec 26-27 Potential - Part 4

am19psu

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not necessarily. Biggest I have measured here was 22.3" in January 1996. The only 24" storm I have measured was the blizzard of 1978, but that was in Northeast Nassau. I kinda wish I'd been here for that one...but I didn't exactly miss out where I was.

I had only 17" for the December 2009 storm. I missed the best stuff by less than 10 miles .

I guess you missed out on our 28 inches in PD2 also :(

Oh come on guys - stop looking at 18z's and 6z's -- we all know that they're trash.

The general consensus is that they aren't trash anymore. A certain met mentioned earlier in this thread says he treats them a little like an ensemble member of the previous 0z or 12z run. Basically there are some updates to the starting conditions from the previous runs which theoretically should yield a more accurate solution. There is probably more to it than that (more aircraft obs,, etc ingested) but the point is it isn't garbage.

The complete phase cycle, or lack of is not quite yet inside the 48h time frame, not sure if all North stream data is in yet so tonight will be telling to say the least. That being said, if tonights is similar or better, just a few dozen miles of a jog west with the precip field, and were in for a 3 to 5 event. I think most of LI is already there.

Ehh. The number of GFS and Euro ensembles suggesting a strong and further west low suggest that it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility it could lurch back to the west enough to at least sideswipe a lot of us. Again, we don't need it to be as perfect a setup as DC does. I'll take a few or several inches-hey, it's a lot better than zero.

The idea that people have wrote this storm off is mind boggling to me. What is it about this storm should make it any different than other storms we have all tracked together where changes still occur within the 3 day time range? Especially with a set up like this, where one small deviation can make drastic changes for the final outcome.

That point, and the fact that really all of the model output from all of the 12z models and ensembles were still not in complete agreement should prevent anyone from thinking they for sure know what's going to happen with this thing.

I'm not sure what storm it looks like. I haven't been looking at any analogs or anything like that. I'll have to look at the KU book later

I saw Jan 2000 being mentioned.

Meanwhile, here is what Don said about lackluster Decembers leading to bad snow seasons overall.

I agree. In 9/10 moderate-strong La Niña cases since 1871, NYC saw less than 20" seasonal snowfall when it received less than 2.5" in December. FWIW, at the Newx-forecasts seasonal snowfall contest, my seasonal snowfall estimate for NYC was 13.9". My guess for Boston was 33.5".

18.8" PDII. However, we had about 6" of solid (icy) snowpack on the ground before that one started...so we had our 2 feet on the ground.

Yes, there was a snow storm a few days before that, which gets forgotten about. I love those snow gradient maps on your site; 2002-03 has the weirdest snowfall gradient though-- basically there doesnt seem to be one lol. All of Long Island got hammered that season.

Archived