• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SecondChild
    Newest Member
    SecondChild

Central PA - Spring 2021

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

What happened or didn't happen previously doesn't change the fact that last night's storms were not severe. There is specific criteria for a storm to reach severe level, just like there is with winter storms. Sorry - if CTP would have issued a warning, it would have been a failed forecast. 

I disagree.

They often forget their role in sending proper messages to the public because they are too concerned with their internal criteria.

Sometimes the “spirit” of the law overrides the “letter” of the law.

I know that I had a severe thunderstorm here with violent lightning, but was not warned.

Just now, Blizzard of 93 said:

I disagree.

They often forget their role in sending proper messages to the public because they are too concerned with their internal criteria.

I know that I had a severe thunderstorm here with violent lightning, but was not warned.

A severe thunderstorm contains winds greater than 58 mph and/or hail greater than 1" in diameter. That is the book definition. That is what CTP would be measured by for forecast accuracy. There is no lightning criteria.

I know what you are trying to say  - we can agree to disagree on this.

• Like 1

1.73 rain yesterday including the inch that fell during last night thunderstorm. It struck hard about 3 times and one wasn't far away from my house, good 1st storm to get our season underway.

15 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I disagree.

Could have at least gave a severe weather statement.  Based on where your located and the way the storms were moving, we probably got that storm just a little later. I was watching the lightning before the storm showed up and the storm seemed to lose quite a bit of lightning when it showed up here.

48 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Probably doesn't help that admittedly, I am a very literal person. I drive people crazy because of how particular I can be - if I ask for "a couple" of one thing or another, I expect to receive 2. That is a couple to me. Not 3 or 4...2.

3 is a few. 4 is several. :)

Met's would love to go with that.  Cloudy with a chance of snow.  Accumulations will range from a couple inches to several inches.  Literal and not at the same time :-).

15 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Definitely increasing odds somewhere between ne Pa, to southern NY to NE sees some snow . Along the M/D we would need a trend south at h5 which Eps did bump today but a continuation is needed.  I'd personally like to see a few more flakes fly before the big heat / humidity ultimately gets us. 

The latest OP runs of the EC and GFS are fairly similar in what the eventual apparent weather would be for far NE PA and SE NY.  They are probably get excited or worried up there.   Euro is a bit slower and south of GFS right now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The latest OP runs of the EC and GFS are fairly similar in what the eventual apparent weather would be for far NE PA and SE NY.  They are probably get excited or worried up there.   Euro is a bit slower and south of GFS right now. 

I am still holding out for flakes to fly yet. 

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I'm just worried about the sun angle. :D

• Haha 1

Welp, last night ended up being a lot more interesting than I anticipated.  I got quite the L&T show as a couple cells went right overhead of me, at one point dropped ~.5" in ten minutes and even had a brief spell of pea sized hail.  All told, I totaled 1.24" yesterday, this on top of .67" from Saturday.  It's looking like Ireland out there, beautiful greenery.

4 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I disagree.

Prolific atmospheric lightning isn't violent lightning, though. The rain wasn't even flash flood advisory level, no winds over 25, and no CTG lightning. It was a textbook late afternoon southern storm that you forget happened the next day (well we hadn't seen lightning in more than half a year so a bit different for us). 

46 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Welp, last night ended up being a lot more interesting than I anticipated.  I got quite the L&T show as a couple cells went right overhead of me, at one point dropped ~.5" in ten minutes and even had a brief spell of pea sized hail.  All told, I totaled 1.24" yesterday, this on top of .67" from Saturday.  It's looking like Ireland out there, beautiful greenery.

Much the same in Akron.  We had one crack so loud n so close, i looked between my wife and I to see if it hit between us :lightning:.  I levitated a good 12" from it.  LOLs. 

Hope ya'll r enjoying spring. 

• Haha 3