Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,893
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Duke Of Lizards
    Newest Member
    Duke Of Lizards
    Joined

Central PA - Spring 2021


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Incredibly, the high of 56 was the first day of 3 in a row in 1972 that didn’t get above 56. The 39 (1992) is the latest 30s on record in Pittsburgh by 11 days and followed a high of 54 the day before.

Fun fact about the run of record low maxes in 1972. That actually occurred during Hurricane Agnes as the tropical system was absorbed by an anomalous trough and associated mid-latitude system over PA. That whole mess sat and spun over us for days, leading of course to all the insane rain totals and flooding. With the historic flooding obviously being the most memorable aspect,  it's not often mentioned how chilly it actually was during most of that event in central PA. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Fun fact about the run of record low maxes in 1972. That actually occurred during Hurricane Agnes as the tropical system was absorbed by an anomalous trough and associated mid-latitude system over PA. That whole mess sat and spun over us for days, leading of course to all the insane rain totals and flooding. With the historic flooding obviously being the most memorable aspect,  it's not often mentioned how chilly it actually was during most of that event in central PA. 

There's a lot of video out there of the PA flooding during Agnes...and in a lot of the video, people are wearing jackets. (I was 7 at the time and don't remember that level of specifics without seeing the video years later) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pawatch said:

46 degrees here this morning. Yesterday was sure a nice day.

Looks like we hit 90 this weekend and Monday.

 

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

48

 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

46 this Am. 

 

24 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

45 here for the low.

50.6 (51) here for my low. Feeling left out of the 40s club. :(  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

There's a lot of video out there of the PA flooding during Agnes...and in a lot of the video, people are wearing jackets. (I was 7 at the time and don't remember that level of specifics without seeing the video years later) 

I remember. every man and boy in our town (and some women) was helping the fireman with pumping basement and what not. I don't remember specifics on temps, but i do remember wearing coats and our green snow boots to keep our feet dry. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

image.png.707cbc353825253108119737a586b5ab.png

Thing is, there will be heat and there will be humidity this summer. But the longer we can have this pattern keep coming back, the less we have to endure. After the time of this map, there are less than 10 weeks of met summer left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Thing is, there will be heat and there will be humidity this summer. But the longer we can have this pattern keep coming back, the less we have to endure. After the time of this map, there are less than 10 weeks of met summer left.

Yep, but I hesitate saying it as to avoid irritating those who want heat (seriously).  But the chances of a wall to wall above average summer are indeed gone.  

On another subject and 90's this weekend, the reason other models do not approach those totals, as of now, are the clouds and rain (especially the CMC) they portray.  So have hopes for a bit of wet over this weekend.  You look golden either way. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yep, but I hesitate saying it as to avoid irritating those who want heat (seriously).  But the chances of a wall to wall above average summer are indeed gone.  

On another subject and 90's this weekend, the reason other models do not approach those totals, as of now, are the clouds and rain (especially the CMC) they portray.  So have hopes for a bit of wet over this weekend.  You look golden either way. 

 

On the first point, June will still very likely clock in above average for both me and yinz, so there’s been plenty for the warm weather lovers to enjoy already and there will almost certainly be much more. I just like when it’s interspersed with absolutely sublime days like yesterday that are a non-rain induced 72/36 in the “heat” of the day and then drop into the 40s or even low/mid 50s at night.

We’ll all get our rain at some point, I have faith in that. Pattern isn’t ideal but models outside of the GFS don’t look terrible. Might come with more severe here tomorrow, third time this week I’m in a slight risk and the last two verified (western PBZ counties in Ohio are actually in a D2 enhanced risk, so we’ll see if that expands east), but timing might allow you guys to avoid the really nasty weather (or miss out on it, depending on perspective). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea, I should have stated much above and I was thinking wall to wall to mean every day.  MDT probably does cruise on into July being 1-3 degrees above normal for June.  Anything less than 5 is not too bad for me.  Yesterday and today are indeed perfectly nice days.

 

On our side, the rain has been much better this year than last so not complaining.  Just like to see it every few days. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Next week we hit the solstice and start the journey of shorter hours of daylight until late December. :)  (even if it's cool next week...sun angle these days is brutal) 

Wife went to the senators game yesterday and said it felt like 100 in the sun - she got burnt through her clothes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Wife went to the senators game yesterday and said it felt like 100 in the sun - she got burnt through her clothes. 

I am a firm believer that the "times are a changin'" on this point.   The sun is hotter/more intense every day of the year now....than it was 30- 40 years ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

Wife went to the senators game yesterday and said it felt like 100 in the sun - she got burnt through her clothes. 

 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

I am a firm believer that the "times are a changin'" on this point.   The sun is hotter/more intense every day of the year now....than it was 30- 40 years ago. 

Agreed - and I realize it most when there's snow on the ground. Snow melts so quickly, even with temps FAR below freezing if the sun is shining. Even in January. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

 

Agreed - and I realize it most when there's snow on the ground. Snow melts so quickly, even with temps FAR below freezing if the sun is shining. Even in January. 

Yep.  I actually first noticed it about 20 years ago.  I had already moved to Florida but was back in PA and was outside for an hour or so in March and got sun burn bad enough to turn into a bit of sun poisoning.   Its more evident up here than in Florida.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

On the first point, June will still very likely clock in above average for both me and yinz, so there’s been plenty for the warm weather lovers to enjoy already and there will almost certainly be much more. I just like when it’s interspersed with absolutely sublime days like yesterday that are a non-rain induced 72/36 in the “heat” of the day and then drop into the 40s or even low/mid 50s at night.

We’ll all get our rain at some point, I have faith in that. Pattern isn’t ideal but models outside of the GFS don’t look terrible. Might come with more severe here tomorrow, third time this week I’m in a slight risk and the last two verified (western PBZ counties in Ohio are actually in a D2 enhanced risk, so we’ll see if that expands east), but timing might allow you guys to avoid the really nasty weather (or miss out on it, depending on perspective). 

Meanwhile, at Lake Mead.:unsure:

 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/17/us/lake-mead-drought-water-shortage-climate/index.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I’m familiar with Lake Powell from when I lived out west and it’s my understanding that both Lake Mead and Lake Powell (and the millions of people that rely on them) are in big trouble. It’s sad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I’m familiar with Lake Powell from when I lived out west and it’s my understanding that both Lake Mead and Lake Powell (and the millions of people that rely on them) are in big trouble. It’s sad.

Just reading that article, which can sometimes lead to exaggerations or "under exaggerations" from a reporter or network, it seems at some point the people of Las Vegas and surrounding areas will have to change how they use water.  But the rate that it is falling means its not tomorrow though I think the article was sort of alluding to the rate possibly getting faster.   It said farmers will be the first to have to change or move somewhere else. 

 

Not sure we are alive to see it but I think it quite possible that many areas people consider retirement areas will become less habitable due to climate change.  Florida, Southwest, and Cal.  Sort of the reverse of the map you see at the end of the movie "The Day after tomorrow".  Southerners will have to move north and east.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...