• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    alexmiller
    Newest Member
    alexmiller

2/14- 2/16 Winter Storm and Arctic Cold

Still all sleet in Clarksville despite what the radar says.   When I was a child, we had snow when it was 36 degrees. Today it is 16 degrees at my house and we've had nothing but sleet.    

• Like 2

Mixed precipitation near the AL line in Lincoln County now. Forecast has come around to my viewpoint – 1 inch total accumulation possible. We have a mostly rain event now, minor icing, and temp of 31-32, depending on when you look. Small area of possible snow may pass over us. All in all, very happy with the outcome so far.

25 miles south in Huntsville, AL, where TV was screaming it was gonna be a disaster, they got rain. Period.

Next threat here is lows - 13 is forecast tonight.

[email protected]@K at the size of that sucker... all the way out to KANSAS!

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 12.52.40 PM.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, monoptn said:

Still all sleet in Clarksville despite what the radar says.   When I was a child, we had snow when it was 36 degrees. Today it is 16 degrees at my house and we've had nothing but sleet.    

Upper levels can just kill you sometimes. I got 3 inches of sleet a few years ago at 22 degrees, that ended with about 3 inches of snow. About 15 miles north of me at 22 degrees they got 15 inches of snow with no mixing issues. It's the same storm that gave Crossville over an inch of ice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestTennWX said:

I'm thinking maybe 5-6 here, on the low end for sure.  Not complaining tho!

You guys did are doing pretty good then!  It’s been mainly sleet down my way.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

You guys did are doing pretty good then!  It’s been mainly sleet down my way.  

Ended up down SW of you all in NW MS unable to break the warm nose.  We had some of the heaviest sleet I’ve ever seen as the main band came through, temps between 13-15 during that time.  Very little snow on the back end. I thought we didn’t have much until I ventured out for a couple of seconds, appeared to be 2 1/2-3 inches on the roads. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shocker0 said:

Looks like you live just east of the Arctic Ocean

I've seen freezing fog here before, just not day after day of it until it brings trees and limbs down. How are you faring?

14 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I've seen freezing fog here before, just not day after day of it until it brings trees and limbs down. How are you faring?

right, non stop. heavy ice accumulation  just a couple hundred feet up from me. Mountain above me was covered with rime 2 days ago, its still piling up.

• Like 1

The ineptitude of the forecasters was on full display.    We went from smack dab in the middle of the 8-12" range to getting an inch of sleet.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not a lot of impacts here in southern Lincoln County 7 miles above Bama, but here are 3 pix. Let's see if they work. I chopped them down in size. Been a long time since I was on a site that limited total size of all files. Fingers crossed. We are almost out of this mess, the map says. Hope so. (UNDER EDIT: Ooo, I can make them a bit bigger next time. Good to know.)

ice1.jpg

ice2.png

ice3.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Good here. Trees still look the same as last night but we are now hovering between 32-33 with heavy rain. All the roads were icy this morning but we got the day off work so I havent went anywhere.

• Like 1

Hahaha, don't see this often, either! Look at this heat island right over my farm that extends up to Fayetteville. In the MIDDLE of ice. This storm has been amazing on so many levels. Texas friend says they got tornados, too.

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 2.46.21 PM.png

Still just rain here south of Huntsville.  It's really tapered off... Just a drizzle now.  To my west, monte sano and green mountain are holding the ice from coming over into Owens Cross Roads.  That little ridge usually servers to protect this valley... Here's hoping that it continues to protect us from the ice. Temp has gone up slightly from where it was around 1pm.  

Screenshot_20210215-145257_WeatherBug.jpg

• Like 1

Well that was interesting, temps went from 42 to 59 back to 39...in a span of 15-20 mins. Had wind gust close to 60mph, at the time..almost 1000 residences without power now.

• Like 1