• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, LakeEffectKing said:

While we await the 00 runs, a tangent story will be the cold that is progged for the deep southern plains/Mississippi Valley.... Once in a century event.  Along with the snow, sleet, and freezing rain, this will be a huge national story.

image.thumb.png.d2f36980ced936b6fde3c6316e6f1c74.png

This is probually the craziest inversion I have ever seen all the way up to 800mb. What the hell is causing this? How is the surface so freaking cold yet 850mb layer is so warm. I am just trying to figure the surface level drainage of cold air while the atmosphere higher up never gets cold. 

Unknown-16.png

7 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

This is probually the craziest inversion I have ever seen all the way up to 800mb. What the hell is causing this? How is the surface so freaking cold yet 850mb layer is so warm. I am just trying to figure the surface level drainage of cold air while the atmosphere higher up never gets cold. 

Unknown-16.png

Very common in texas. Cold is usually very shallow. 

4 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

Quasi-stationary surface Arcticu high to the north... the depth of cold air is shallower as you get further from the HP...and the llv cold can't go anywhere except drain to the south, because it is trapped to the west by the mountains. 

38 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

Unknown-16.png

The atmosphere can decouple itself nicely in situations like this with winds at different heights flowing in different directions and not really mixing.  You’ll see the air above 850mb is flowing in from the west while the surface air is from due north..  Additionally there may be subsidence causing compressional warming in the layer above the inversion. At the same time the surface is freely radiating any heat into space and cooling the boundary layer (at night).  It’s definitely fascinating and complicated. I still struggle to fully understand all the intricacies of the vertical profiles in scenarios like this. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Thats why it will be in single digits and be raining in Central South Texas. Crazy for sure. I have seen it rain around her at minus 1 before

That would be catastrophic. It’s one thing yo have that type of weather up here, however, a small glaze killed 6 in a 133 vehicle pileup yesterday. If they receive.5 or higher it could cripple an infrastructure that is woefully unprepared for that.

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

All of us will have 15-20+" this week. Feel pretty confident in that. Between the 3 LES events we had and this coming week of snowstorms this year is going to get a huge boost.

If this week happens as it looks now this winter instantly goes down as at least a solid B in my book with the potential for even higher if we get a blockbuster in March or April. We started off super slow but had a great week right after Christmas which was awesome timed right around the holidays. After how good the last several weeks have been both in the snowfall department and the sustained cold and snow depth department this next week would make this month one to remember and bring us close to average after being so far behind as late as mid to late January. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

If this week happens as it looks now this winter instantly goes down as at least a solid B in my book with the potential for even higher if we get a blockbuster in March or April. We started off super slow but had a great week right after Christmas which was awesome timed right around the holidays. After how good the last several weeks have been both in the snowfall department and the sustained cold and snow depth department this next week would make this month one to remember and bring us close to average after being so far behind as late as mid to late January. 

Reminds me of February ‘15. Wall to wall cold and I believe over 40” at KBUF 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Agreed, and if we receive the snowfall we could over the next week I believe this MIGHT be comparable 

I never thought it would happen again, but here we are.  This current stretch is a tick or two warmer, but could end up snowier which is a fine trade off!

• Like 1