• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Major LES event-December 24-27

More like 60 hours til the lake effect starts and that’s a long long time in model land for lake effect. We need to be within 24-36 hours before I feel confident about anything. 

I want to see the 3k NAM and even the BTV WRF and the WRF NMM and ARW and that’s not until we’re 36-48 hours out except for the 3k NAM at 60 hrs. The mesoscale models will be far more useful than the globals. The global show the general placement and the potential but the mesoscale models will fine tune all the details but we’re not even within range of those yet. I feel like it seems like it’s taking forever to get to the event because they issued the watch so dang early lol so we’re all waiting for them to turn it to a warning but it’s taking forever. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

More like 60 hours til the lake effect starts and that’s a long long time in model land for lake effect. We need to be within 24-36 hours before I feel confident about anything. 

We should be pretty confident that the r ent will happen... in my mind (frightening) this may never get below the Buffalo south towns...reminds me of January 2019. We had about 24” in the north towns and the entire time the band was to be on the move, never happened. There are a lot of signals this may be a metro event meandering north and south from time to time.

8 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

I want to see the 3k NAM and even the BTV WRF and the WRF NMM and ARW and that’s not until we’re 36-48 hours out except for the 3k NAM at 60 hrs. The mesoscale models will be far more useful than the globals. The global show the general placement and the potential but the mesoscale models will fine tune all the details but we’re not even within range of those yet. I feel like it seems like it’s taking forever to get to the event because they issued the watch so dang early lol so we’re all waiting for them to turn it to a warning but it’s taking forever. 

BTV went offline 12/7... RIP...

16 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

We should be pretty confident that the r ent will happen... in my mind (frightening) this may never get below the Buffalo south towns...reminds me of January 2019. We had about 24” in the north towns and the entire time the band was to be on the move, never happened. There are a lot of signals this may be a metro event meandering north and south from time to time.

This one forecasted the max over KBUF though. I think I had 18" in this one.

MOx2wS6.png&key=3064458b15e6ab204d6199d5

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This one forecasted the max over KBUF though. I think I had 18" in this one.

MOx2wS6.png&key=3064458b15e6ab204d6199d5

I think what it was for me is maybe the in-house models of the local Mets all said “ shifting south, southward drift” and for about 20 hours it never did. This event has a similar look to it with the map above.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

NAM not looking to great for synoptic or LES. Likely doesn't get the band north to Metro until really late Friday night. Definitely a step back from other model runs

Band is already north of the city in Niagara County by 4pm Friday lol. 

Do agree there’s almost nothing synoptically for anyone in NY State besides an inch or two in Chautauqua County.

3 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Band is already north of the city in Niagara County by 4pm Friday lol. 

Do agree there’s almost nothing synoptically for anyone in NY State besides an inch or two in Mayville haha. 

Previous runs had band going much earlier, friday morning....that band is now in NE PA.

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Previous runs had band going much earlier, friday morning....

The 18z run had the exact same timing on the band. South of Buffalo still at 1pm and north of it by 4pm. 

Only difference is the storm is a bit west so the band ends up a little further to the north of BUF than 18z run. 

52 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

BTV went offline 12/7... RIP...

Just saw this post. Big time bummer. That model was usually way overdone with QPF but I found it often had a good handle on the placement of the bands especially on SW flow events. Do you know of any other good mesoscale models like that run out of any other WFO? 

2 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

The 18z run had the exact same timing on the band. South of Buffalo still at 1pm and north of it by 4pm. 

My guess is it won’t make it much past the Erie-Niagara county boarded. There is a strong convergence that should set up somewhere in far northern Erie-southern Niagara which would not allow the band to move much further north...heaviest snows occur right where that convergence is but will have a wider band south of it with somewhat “lighter snows” I still like 1 foot plus over all of Erie and now maybe southern Niagara as well. I still think this is not much of a southern Erie event at all.