• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major LES event-December 24-27

Just now, Thinksnow18 said:

My guess is it won’t make it much past the Erie-Niagara county boarded. There is a strong convergence that should set up somewhere in far northern Erie-southern Niagara which would not allow the band to move much further north...heaviest snows occur right where that convergence is but will have a wider band south of it with somewhat “lighter snows” I still like 1 foot plus over all of Erie and now maybe southern Niagara as well. I still think this is not much of a southern Erie event at all.

Good point about possible convergence keeping it from going as far north as NT and Lockport. A fine run to me IMO. No better no worse than the last run. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This is why we don't use the NAM LOL

image.thumb.png.9fc350d07cc878ef00809de088e3240e.png

It’s just one tool in the tool chest. It has some value, but about as much as the rusted pair of pliers in the bottom of the tool chest. 

This is why we need to get in closer range to the higher resolution models can get a better handle on the many mesoscale features that will be in play for this event. You have the track of the storm which will ultimately determine the exactly wind direction, thermal troughing, convergence all coming into play and even a 12k model can’t pick up all of those subtle features. If I was the NWS I would wait until after tomorrow’s 12z runs at the earliest to issue warnings. A lot can happen between now and then and even that would give a solid 36-48 hour lead time before the meat of the event starts to get going which is plenty even for the holiday. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

But it lowers residence time substantially. Not the ideal track.

Not really, as the storm moves N and NE there’s a trough being left behind towards the upper Great Lakes keeping the winds backed more than a storm that would usually be in that location of Canada. Not saying it’s right though lol.

• Like 1

Just now, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Not really, as the storm moves N and NE there’s a trough being left behind towards the upper Great Lakes keeping the winds backed more than a storm that would usually be in that location of Canada. Not saying it’s right though lol.

I guess you know more then me about LES. ;)

• Haha 3

Just now, wolfie09 said:

The only reason it concerns me is some guidance like the SREF show enhance of the lake due to its exact track..Sref have 6"-8" verbatim with no lake effect.. Would be a major win lol I expect the lake bands to be north of me Friday, just hope to cash in Saturday..

I’d be totally fine with a more Westerly or WSW flow that nails you off Ontario and BuffaloWeather off Erie. I can watch him have to shovel/snowblow his whole driveway on his new Nestcam while I have a glass of Scotch and sit by the fireplace ;) 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

I’d be totally fine with a more Westerly or WSW flow that nails you off Ontario and BuffaloWeather off Erie. I can watch him have to shovel/snowblow his whole driveway on his new Nestcam while I have a glass of Scotch and sit by the fireplace ;) 

I don't even care about my place. I was saying for a truly EPIC event, you want the GFS or RGEM track, not the NAM. NAM would get everyone involved but bands would be moving quite a bit. The big time totals is what I'm hoping for.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I don't even care about my place. I was saying for a truly EPIC event, you want the GFS or RGEM track, not the NAM. NAM would get everyone involved but bands would be moving quite a bit. The big time totals is what I'm hoping for.

That’s how I am. I don’t really care if my house gets hit, just want a solid band somewhere to chase. GFS is rolling now. 

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

All the caveats aside about this still being kinda early, what would that actually equate to? I assume 10:1 doesn’t work for most LES..

That's actually Kuchera so it's taking ratios into account but yeah we usually don't have 10-1 ratios with LES..I think NWS cleveland expects 15-20/1 for their CWA. (Last time I checked)..

That's why we have the highest snow to liquid ratio on the east coast..

300x300-paul-1542996220 (1).jpeg

• Thanks 1