Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2020/2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Those h5 maps are really close...very diff at the surface tho. Only diffs thay standout the Euro has the stj sw off the SW coast which is likely helping the ridge out west a little more. Also, the euro is better in the AO where the GFS is more overspread into the EPO. 50/50 evident on both. 

I'm missing a nice 1040hp over the great lakes, am I looking at the wrong map

4 minutes ago, Violentweatherfan said:

I'm missing a nice 1040hp over the great lakes, am I looking at the wrong map

Monster sprawling hp in S Central extending into E Canada and the NE with plenty of cold air advection around the PV lobe with the 50/50 locking things in. That would definitely work....the cold and the source of cold are there. Just need the upper features to line up a little more. 

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_7.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_24.png

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

Monster sprawling hp in S Central extending into E Canada and the NE with plenty of cold air advection around the PV lobe with the 50/50 locking things in. That would definitely work....the cold and the source of cold are there. Just need the upper features to line up a little more. 

Needs to dip southeast an park itself over the great lakes 

I really hate to say this but is sorely needed to be said. The Lehigh Valley got its Boxing Day snow event today. For so many years, that is all I heard on several regional forums about how Monmouth County, Raitan,  Freehold area  got clobbered with 30 inches of snow banding while the LV had way less than a foot of snow.  I also remember the 22 incher at Philly airport area when the LV got less than six inches. Its equalization times I say tonight for the LV residents. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Albedoman said:

I really hate to say this but is sorely needed to be said. The Lehigh Valley got its Boxing Day snow event today. For so many years, that is all I heard on several regional forums about how Monmouth County, Raitan,  Freehold area  got clobbered with 30 inches of snow banding while the LV had way less than a foot of snow.  I also remember the 22 incher at Philly airport area when the LV got less than six inches. Its equalization times I say tonight for the LV residents. 

That region had been snake bit since the 2010 winter, I pointed it out so many times I got tired of pointing it out lol. A weird probably one in 200 year anomaly you can be thankful has ended.

• Like 1

Euro still sniffing out next weekend threat. If anything, this is clearly favoring New England. That isn't to say we can't get something out of it but this Miller B is already looking well N and E across guidance where we would want to see it well to the South at this range. Euro op is also alone in developing slp as far South near Hatteras. We can certainly track it and watch for trends.

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Did the groundhog see his shadow? 

The whole point of groundhog day is for old folks to dress up, find a reason to drink in the morning and pull a rodent out of a tree. The result makes no difference. Even Punxsutawney Phil is sick of their song and dance and doesn't want to be disturbed...

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Low that close to the coast and it's easily sleeting probably all the way up to mt Pocono. 

A different setup with the primary motoring NE with no stall vs a low sitting at the coast with time to throw mild air inland. But I don't care I just got snow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Low that close to the coast and it's easily sleeting probably all the way up to mt Pocono. 

Sleet, 33/rain or nothing? I'll take sleet even though I'll be pissed it's not snow and Monday temps will be winter tundra like for this area w/wind. At least it's not boring weather...

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I really like the day 9ish threat. Stj wave, hp to the north, pv nearby, overunning, relaxing nao phase. This weekend is threading a needle, the followup has more play in the atmosphere.

This last storm was another PDII with big amounts displaced north, what do you want to call that one.

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I really like the day 9ish threat. Stj wave, hp to the north, pv nearby, overunning, relaxing nao phase. This weekend is threading a needle, the followup has more play in the atmosphere.

Based on today’s trends we’ve moved from needle to basically a lay up lol. The cmc jumped about 300 miles west and the gfs made huge leaps towards the euro. All signals point to a major storm riding up the coast starting Saturday. Actually it has the risk of moving too far west on us. 

2 minutes ago, Snowcane21 said:

Based on today’s trends we’ve moved from needle to basically a lay up lol. The cmc jumped about 300 miles west and the gfs made huge leaps towards the euro. All signals point to a major storm riding up the coast starting Saturday. Actually it has the risk of moving too far west on us. 

I'm not seeing that at all tbh. Most guidance isn't as amped up and miss any phasing until too late...congrats E New England. Lets see what the ens do....they weren't enthusiastic at 0z

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I'm not seeing that at all tbh. Most guidance isn't as amped up and miss any phasing until too late...congrats E New England. Lets see what the ens do....they weren't enthusiastic at 0z

This is the Shift on the Canadian in just 12 hours. Undeniable where we’re headed.....

9A15AFA2-DC58-497C-AE39-72B568672DC4.jpeg

D52BA688-BA26-46A7-9A45-D4763B31CD85.jpeg