Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Oct 29-30 snow threat

Typhoon Tip

The more i look at things

You have 2 camps

GFS/HMON/HRWF  take Zeta in significantly faster, which leads to more of a NE direction after landfall (12z Thur- position near ATL) and not phased and whiff OTS or scraper

EURO/NAM /UKMET take Zeta in Significantly slower,  and draw her more north after landfall to a position  (at 12z Thur near Over E central  MISS or  W ALA border (several hundred miles SW of other camp) and phase more leading to a system that is juicier further north and slower 

NHC favors first camp for now

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

You have 2 camps

GFS/HMON/HRWF  take Zeta in significantly faster, which leads to more of a NE direction after landfall (12z Thur- position near ATL) and not phased and whiff OTS or scraper

EURO/NAM /UKMET take Zeta in Significantly slower,  and draw her more north after landfall to a position  (at 12z Thur near Over E central  MISS or  W ALA border (several hundred miles SW of other camp) and phase more leading to a system that is juicier further north and slower 

I'd bet on the second camp.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

You have 2 camps

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'd bet on the second camp.

NHC does great work, but it is a known that the GFS/GEFS has a right of track bias and a fast bias when storms are headed north.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I was wondering whether the GFS cold bias is still a thing, but the position/strength of that high plus the track of the sfc low would certainly lock in some pretty impressive llvl cold. Would also be one helluva fronto band...may even be able to get some pretty decent dynamic cooling too...and down to the sfc. 

Elevating this because in short, yes. There have been no major changes to the GFS, and none planned until next year at the earliest. So there is still a general cold bias in the mid levels. But there is also a bias to over-mix the boundary layer, keeping the surface a little too warm and dry when precip is falling.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

rgem_T2m_neus_79.png

rgem_T2m_neus_85.png

I think that’s pretty similar though than other guidance temperature wise.  Don’t forget your only out to 12z Friday.   If this thing performs as the euro depicted at 12z the action here in the pike region is mid to late afternoon and evening Friday.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah wasn’t that like -6C at 850mb over HFD at the start?  That started as snow right on the south coast, that thread is awesome as people realize it’s snowing right down to the water.

4 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

But it was forecast right up to start time to start as rain outside of the highest elevations here in interior CT in 2011, and then change to snow hours later in the afternoon.  But it started as snow right from the start. And it stuck immediately.  Caved everything in...major damage everywhere here. 

I remember it was 1/4SM +SN at BDL during mid afternoon and our forecast still called for southern NH to start as rain. :lol:

e2ecd19a-cc16-48b8-aab5-cf66ebdee7cd-lar

.TONIGHT...RAIN THIS EVENING. SNOW. SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES. SNOW
ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 10 INCHES. LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S. NORTH WINDS
10 TO 15 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF
PRECIPITATION NEAR 100 PERCENT. 

That was CON ZFP from 1929z, it started straight snow at CON at 2006z. Literal LOL.