• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

2 hours ago, BuCoVaWx said:

Thank you guys very much! It's been a crazy ride for sure. There were a couple of positives from it. I got to skip a whole month of summer, closer to fall and winter! And I lost 90 lbs, which resolved my diabetes. I've gained about 40 lbs back from muscle and a better appetite. I don't recommend my signature weight loss program though lol

I lost 34#.  Un unfortunately I became a type 1 diabetic from my ordeal.  Apparently 80% of severe cases like mine this happens.  Go figure.  Though will say cutting out the breads/carbs/sugars has made a huge difference on my life.  I was an avid runner before but can no longer run.  So it was a trade off. 

• Like 3

I'm very sorry to hear that you've been through all of that. As of now, the Drs are saying I should make a full recovery but it will take about a year in total. I have some scar tissue in my left lung, they believe it shouldn't cause further issues. With blastomycosis, it enters the body in the form of fungal spores, but when it actually starts to grow in the lungs, it is in the form of yeast. It is very slow growing, so sometimes symptoms won't show until months later. Unfortunately it is also very slow to heal and eradicate. I will be on an antifungal pill 6 times a day for a year.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear all that BuCo, but I'm glad to hear you have a good prognosis. 

My dad had some strange fungal infection and I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember what it was. It supposedly almost always affected lungs, but he somehow got it on a wound in his skin. He also had a pretty compromised immune system, but he had to take some sort of antifungal for a year too. 

• Like 2

Thank you Holston! I'm sorry your dad had to deal with that. Fungal infections come in all shapes and sizes. It sounds very similar to blasto. The medicine I'm taking is call Itraconazole or Sporanox. It has some not so pleasant side effects but it's much better than the alternative.

• Like 1

Thank you guys very much! It's been a crazy ride for sure. There were a couple of positives from it. I got to skip a whole month of summer, closer to fall and winter! And I lost 90 lbs, which resolved my diabetes. I've gained about 40 lbs back from muscle and a better appetite. I don't recommend my signature weight loss program though lol

God has a plan for all of us and it sounds like he isn’t finished with you. Stay faithful and keep praying. We will pray for you and your family. It’s great that they got you to a trama facility when they did. I know most of you live out in rural areas but I’d recommend anyone that thinks they are really sick, get to a university hospital. My wife is a admin supervisor at UTMC. The sickest of the sick are sent there for a reason because they have great Dr’s and staff with unlimited resources in healthcare.

• Like 3

UK definitely saved my life on several occasions. Not only that but they were very kind, very professional, and they listened to my concerns and addressed them. The other hospitals, not so much. I know it wasn't only UK that saved me, The Good Lord and prayer was doing work from the beginning. I truly believe as crazy as it may sound, that God had put pancreatitis on me to send me back to the ER. I wasn't going to return because of the "sinus infection". I had already accepted that was the issue and was going to continue my antibiotics. The pancreatitis resolved that night when I got to Pikeville. I had never had any issues with it before or since. If I hadn't been in a hospital when everything took a turn for the worse, there's no way I would have survived. The doctors say that as well. Every Dr I've seen during this whole ordeal, which is a lot, say it truly is a miracle that I survived through everything. God certainly does have a plan for all of us. It's all in his hands.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Molten lava is bad for snow, haha!

Volcano is a fountain kind, not the blow crap into the stratosphere kind. Probably no impact either way. 

Getting back to stress-free snow from the main pinned thread. Southeast Tenn had a fairly obvious one in 2015 I think Feb. Cold air was in place and moisture eased in from Alabama. Since then it's all blood sweat and tears - mostly tears. 

• Like 4

Just reading about China having one of the coldest winter periods they've ever experienced. They've been in the ice box all month. Beijing has set the record for hours below freezing in a month. Some areas are hitting -40c and there's been major snow storms and blizzards.  Eventually we'll get hit with that kind of unusual pattern, It was close in 2021 when it went to Texas and our western forum members got the edge of it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys, got some snow chasing questions. I think this Thursday and Friday, there could be a decent NWF or snow shower event for the higher elevations. I know the Smokies are probably the best place, but looking for some more accessible options as I have a small, two wheel drive vehicle I am not comfortable driving in with snow and getting too far out on small roads. So a couple of questions: 

1) Timing. Is the most robust moisture moving through during Friday? Morning? Night? 

2) Locations. Like I said, not driving some all terrain vehicle. I could easily scoot up 75 North as I don't think the interstate would be too bad, but not really sure where to go besides "north." Also, similar with the Plateau and heading west. I know there are some places just not sure where. Essentially, wondering if I could just pull off the interstate and drive down a well maintained highway and see snow? 

Thanks for any guidance. Not doing this for me, but for my mother in law. She is staying with us and is from Colombia. Never seen snow in her life. I love snow, but don't really chase it. So just looking for someone that may know of some easy places to see an inch or two in these NWF setups. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Silas Lang said:

Hey guys, got some snow chasing questions. I think this Thursday and Friday, there could be a decent NWF or snow shower event for the higher elevations. I know the Smokies are probably the best place, but looking for some more accessible options as I have a small, two wheel drive vehicle I am not comfortable driving in with snow and getting too far out on small roads. So a couple of questions: 

1) Timing. Is the most robust moisture moving through during Friday? Morning? Night? 

2) Locations. Like I said, not driving some all terrain vehicle. I could easily scoot up 75 North as I don't think the interstate would be too bad, but not really sure where to go besides "north." Also, similar with the Plateau and heading west. I know there are some places just not sure where. Essentially, wondering if I could just pull off the interstate and drive down a well maintained highway and see snow? 

Thanks for any guidance. Not doing this for me, but for my mother in law. She is staying with us and is from Colombia. Never seen snow in her life. I love snow, but don't really chase it. So just looking for someone that may know of some easy places to see an inch or two in these NWF setups. 

Wait until the last minute to see where that low jogs.  Modeling is all over the place right now.  Then, maybe rent a VRBO in the area where it is supposed to be the worst.  Roan Mountain is easy to get in and out of(the base...NOT the top).  Gatlinburg would be an option, though GSMNP will close the road over the top at the slightest hint of snow nowadays.  Ober has done really well of late on NW flow events.  Townsend would be another.   A good sleeper option is Beauty Spot near Newport, but make sure to turn around if you cannot get out of there.  Also, have maps printed as cell service is iffy there.  That said, there is a Methodist Camp near Beauty Spot...if you get stuck, go there.  

• Like 3

I'm definitely with Carver's for waiting until Friday to decide.

I was actually thinking about Sam's Gap this AM. It's interstate all the way, but just a bit too far for your time. GFS gives it a few inches Saturday afternoon and it puts you up to almost 4000 feet. 

evNTXjx.png

If you decided to go that way, you could just about do a loop in the same return time and come back through Asheville and see how things looked on the Foothills parkway near Cosby. 

• Like 1

Hwy 111 between Soddy Daisy and Dunlap will be a good spot this weekend. It gets up to around 2300' and is all controlled access freeway. There are a few spots along the ridgetops that always seem to have snow showers when the wind is blowing the right direction, even if they don't show up on radar.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Silas Lang said:

Thanks guys. I will definitely keep an eye out and adjust as needed. Leaning towards plateau at the moment. 

Without a 4x4 I'd watch the models/radar and head to either Western Cumberland Co or 141 area in Campbell County.  In Campbell, 141 sits at around 1800 feet and there's plenty of level driving there. Most modeling has that area getting an inch or so but timing looks like it may be more Friday night. Western Cumberland looks to be one of the better parts as far as potential accumulations. I'm not sure if a 4x4 would be needed or not.

• Like 3

Without a 4x4 I'd watch the models/radar and head to either Western Cumberland Co or 141 area in Campbell County.  In Campbell, 141 sits at around 1800 feet and there's plenty of level driving there. Most modeling has that area getting an inch or so but timing looks like it may be more Friday night. Western Cumberland looks to be one of the better parts as far as potential accumulations. I'm not sure if a 4x4 would be needed or not.

IMO an inch or two even on the plateau shouldn’t cause travel issues except in some isolated valley locations where the sun doesn’t really make it to the road. I guess it’s possible on some of the highest peaks of the plateau but I don’t think there’s many if any locations above 3,500ft.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

IMO an inch or two even on the plateau shouldn’t cause travel issues except in some isolated valley locations where the sun doesn’t really make it to the road. I guess it’s possible on some of the highest peaks of the plateau but I don’t think there’s many if any locations above 3,500ft.

To get above 2500 here generally requires some driving in places that are hazardous in a 2-wheel drive when there's snow. Otherwise I'd just say head up Mountain Rd in Caryville right off 134. It gets above 3000 feet but has steep switchbacks that are pretty tough to deal with in snowy conditions. 

• Like 2

Hmm looking at that chart from Nashville, looks like Cumberland county towards Crossville would be pretty easy? Take 40 and hit the highway? 

Again, for someone who has never seen snow, just it falling with some white grass is enough. Odds that area is a good hit? Don't know how they typically do in these set ups. 

• Like 1

I was actually just thinking that you might try a drive to the edge of the plateau:

MK05UXE.png

Really nice overlook there if nothing else, off of US HWY 70. That should also put your through the best regions on the NWS Nashville map.

Here is an idea of that view at the destination pin (Cumberland Plateau scenic overlook) you'll be looking toward Cookeville.

AE6tBVQ.png

Looks like some should precip be moving in by late tomorrow PM, but i would just watch radar trends for that just to be safe 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I was actually just thinking that you might try a drive to the edge of the plateau:

MK05UXE.png

Really nice overlook there if nothing else, off of US HWY 70. That should also put your through the best regions on the NWS Nashville map.

Here is an idea of that view at the destination pin (Cumberland Plateau scenic overlook) you'll be looking toward Cookeville.

AE6tBVQ.png

Looks like some should precip be moving in by late tomorrow PM, but i would just watch radar trends for that just to be safe 

Yeah, I was thinking somewhere around that way. I know exactly where you are talking about. nWS says best chance of snow showers is Friday morning for that area, though the latest trends seem to show PM. Is there something they are seeing that I am not? Now just need to get the timing down. 

• Like 1

Hmm looking at that chart from Nashville, looks like Cumberland county towards Crossville would be pretty easy? Take 40 and hit the highway? 
Again, for someone who has never seen snow, just it falling with some white grass is enough. Odds that area is a good hit? Don't know how they typically do in these set ups. 

Just found out I’m getting off a 1/2 day tomorrow. I might head towards the plateau or maybe the Cherohala Skyway in Monroe Co.

I’ve got a Jeep Wrangler with 35/12.50’s. It’s pretty incredible how well it handles in the snow.

cf0634dd94ae99863e42d1b82fe33b28.jpg

• Like 4