• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

On 3/12/2021 at 1:03 PM, John1122 said:

Why is there a regular manipulation of data by either MRX or the NOAA? 

They put out a graphic of snowfall totals from the blizzard of 1993 that doesn't live in reality. 

It shows 15 inches for Lafollette and I know that area got 22 inches as I personally measured it there.  My area was well over 2 feet and above 3000 feet had 36 inches. My county average is 18 inches. 

I very clearly remember Tys recording over 15 inches and data from the time shows a snow depth of 15 inches at TYS. People I know who lived north of the city recorded 18 inches. They show Knoxville receiving 13.5 inches now and Knox County averaging 13.5. 

Probably the worst manipulation on the map, it shows Tazewell with 9 inches but official data from the Tazewell reporting station has an observation of an 18 inch snow depth. My uncle lives near there and he recorded 22 inches of snowfall. 

No idea why this is done in this area. 

Ive noticed this happening strongly lately. Dont know the exact reasoning but, may be just the "newbies" basically doing estimates , or manipulating to their thinking on how they feel the area probably did in actuality in "their" minds. Quite possibly basing some of that on how models "see" the area. 

They also do this on their website with their, " this day in history". They mention way less snowfall amounts with events than actual reported amounts. Sad !

So..... BINGO card time for the storm chasers this Wednesday??

I was going to say Reed Trimmer sighting was the freebie and sure enough, he's already been sighted. I think my wxtwitter feed is just now getting some of the storm chaser shenanigans in it (previously, mostly winter wx stuff). If they're having trouble chasing tornados in western KS and TX, they may be in more trouble in the Upper SE, lol. 

I didn't quite catch everything that happened with the latest high plains chase session, (other than the now ubiquitous Dodge City windmill farm "No"), but are we about to get a bunch of the chaser newbies in the Upper SE (probably S and W of Eastern TN)? If we're gonna get some severe (not in this thread to talk about the likelihood or lack of it), might as well have the drama and comedy of wxtwitter pay a visit. 

Some BINGO card suggestions......

1. Reed Trimmer is the free space

2. somebody tweets "where is the tornado??!!" with a Radarscope image of them next to a velocity couplet

3. somebody drives down a private gravel road and gets chased off with a shotgun 

4. somebody from another forum area posts in the TN valley severe thread at 2 AM asking why only 2 people are awake digitally chasing the event as it is consolidating into a line of convection

5. We figure out someway to include the Johnny Cash image or birthday cake doodle dog images in a severe wx meme that only 10 - 13 people will understand and appreciate 

6. another chaser mocks #3 on twitter

7. 2011 mention on twitter

8. Jeff Piotrowski sighting (another free space of your choice if he finds something like the infamous blue shed)

That's all I can think of for now. 

PS, this is not me hating on storm chasers. I was just more interested in the interpersonal interactions I saw on wxtwitter after the latest high plains chase/ event, than the actual event, though I always love the hi res satellite imagery of the convective trains horizontal rotation getting lifted vertically. And this:

• Haha 1

Twitter drama was beyond stupid Saturday. That's why I prefer American Wx (Tenn region) another more heavily moderated form, and some niche Discord channels. Twitter auto-censor jailed anyone for writing Memphis. How?!

Texas Panhandle actually had a very good day. It was predictable and mostly chasable; except, most of those fools don't know what their doing. Anyone chasing alone, that's a key indicator of stupid. No situational awareness and/or very dangerous distracted driver. Why predictable? Dry line intersections with both the warm front and differential heating boundary went tornado. WF was the Canadian TX twins. Diffy heating boundary acted as an outflow boundary, and produced the Happy wedge. Then other more photogenetic tornadoes were documented in between. Should have been easy!

Back to Banter. Brackets could allow a Tennessee vs Kansas national championship game! Both teams are inconsistent shooting from the field (clutch or brick) and are inconsistent on defense (suffocating or soft). Kansas does not have our taller inside guy this weekend, not good.

• Like 2

Twitter drama was beyond stupid Saturday. That's why I prefer American Wx (Tenn region) another more heavily moderated form, and some niche Discord channels. Twitter auto-censor jailed anyone for writing Memphis. How?!
Texas Panhandle actually had a very good day. It was predictable and mostly chasable; except, most of those fools don't know what their doing. Anyone chasing alone, that's a key indicator or stupid. No situational awareness and/or very dangerous distracted driver. Why predictable? Dry line intersections with both the warm front and differential heating boundary went tornado. WF was the Canadian TX twins. Diffy heating boundary acted as an outflow boundary, and produced the Happy wedge. Then other more photogenetic tornadoes were documented in between. Should have been easy!
Back to Banter. Brackets could allow a Tennessee vs Kansas national championship game! Both teams are inconsistent shooting from the field (clutch or brick) and are inconsistent on defense (suffocating or soft). Kansas does not have our taller inside guy this weekend, not good.

Tennessee vs Oklahoma St will be a interesting matchup. I think Tennessee has a couple of guys that can guard Ok St’s stud freshman

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 10:39 AM, Greyhound said:

I know it's been said before, but I have to say it again......the new radar that the NWS put out not too long ago is just plain God-awful.  It's worse than the old dial-up days of the internet.

^THIS TBH^

Radar is slick when nothing is going on. Streets are underlaid and all dual pole products are there. Any weather bogs down the system though. LOL it ain't vendors pinging nws servers. Casual users can't get a page to download.

In other bitter met face news, Wichita State choked away the game at the end. If any of our teams (everyone on this forum) choke like that we'll have cows. I forgot to change my bracket so hopefully Drake beats USC, lol!

On the bright side it eliminates the personal conflict of a Wichita State vs Kansas game. Good luck to everyone here!

I have three brackets: Kansas, Tennessee, and Michigan. Two are somewhat wish-cast and one is a forecast. Probably should have done an Alabama and Baylor, but I guess keep 'em different conferences. 

From NWS Reno

505536357_bracketmeme.jpg.3c86ab5201063133a40f737dfb301688.jpg

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got my first COVID shot Monday.Man,that just sucked the life out of me until today,no energy, just wanted to stay in bed.I didn't feel nothing when she gave the shot until later that night,felt like someone kept giving me a frog in my arm for about 24 hrs.

I'm not looking forward to the booster shot in 2 weeks,that's gonna suck i bet every thing i'm hearing.

Chances are the second will be easier. I'm hearing it's one or the other, not both. What brand did you receive? 

I got Moderna and have been fully vaccinated for a week. First was uneventful, just a sore arm. Second was actually less sore. However I was so sleepy the next day. Still retained moderate energy though. No headache, other than mild I need coffee on a cloudy day. No chills. No fever. No problem!

Sleepy but with energy, in my case, is defined as taking a cat nap and then going jogging. 

1 hour ago, nrgjeff said:

Chances are the second will be easier. I'm hearing it's one or the other, not both. What brand did you receive? 

I got Moderna and have been fully vaccinated for a week. First was uneventful, just a sore arm. Second was actually less sore. However I was so sleepy the next day. Still retained moderate energy though. No headache, other than mild I need coffee on a cloudy day. No chills. No fever. No problem!

Sleepy but with energy, in my case, is defined as taking a cat nap and then going jogging. 

Pfizer

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 9:41 AM, nrgjeff said:

Oh my look at this! Not a forecast, just banter. Please don't share outside this forum. 

Snow on Halloween again?

image.thumb.png.039160ded4e6e5d33f0f5fd504425983.png

LOL.  Posted something similar in the fall discussion thread on Monday.  On second thought, banter was probably the better choice....but it was a slow day.  Kind of unreal how nice the set-up for the time frame is!  And yes, huge grain!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...