• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2020-2021

wxeyeNH

Definitely a water-logged snow! Unfortunately I don't have a heated rain gauge, so I won't know the liquid equivalent until temps rise above freezing again. I'm quite surprised we kept our power here, the way the branches were swinging around last night. I haven't ventured more than 30 yards from the cabin yet this morning, but in my super short survey I already found one large limb down across the driveway.

I'm planning an afternoon hike up Kearsarge North with a buddy...it'll be interesting to see how much trail maintenance we have to do on the way up.

17 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Some serious liquid in these NH totals.

One guy in Wolfeboro had almost 2" LE on 7 inches of snow.  Marginal airmass FTL.

Screenshot_20201206-075317_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a95a5682d56557f0bc0196e6ee0cc34f.jpg

Some of the ratios posted by SNE’ers and others up northeast even like Tamarack have to be pushing the boundaries of snow ratios.  Like 2:1.

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

14.4 for Randolph from the COOP guy. 

I honestly have never paid attention to how snowy that part of NH is before! Thanks for shining a light on this ha. GBA (Granite Backcountry Alliance) has cut some ski glades off Crescent Ridge, and I think I'm now realizing that could be a really sweet place to check out this winter...

930am  Just checking in.   13 hours now no power.   Wood stove keeping the house warm and small jenny for frig few lights computer and microwave.  First time using the phone as mobile hotspot.  

Winter wonderland out there.  Bit more snow overnight so my 2-3" is a waterlogged white mass.  Turkeys and deer going to have to do some digging.  Town finally plowed up here, no snow down where most people live.

Took my Stratus in and the VP2 is frozen so don't know how much qpf feel.  Didn't seem very much but looks like just east got socked

20 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

North Conway recorded 0.1” 

What a bust there. Seems almost unbelievable. Randolph is the only site in NH that verified the forecast. 

That’s really interesting; I didn’t check any of the forecasts over there, but on the precipitation type/moisture outputs from the models, it just looked like a general big swath of blue up and down the state of New Hampshire.  Your site did what it’s supposed to do though, just like we’ve been saying based on the data!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

North Conway recorded 0.1” 

What a bust there. Seems almost unbelievable. Randolph is the only site in NH that verified the forecast. 

You sure picked the right spot.  Randolph hill is beautiful.  The Nest cam doesn't show the true beauty of Mt Adams and Jefferson.  South exposure for sun and snow melt off when you get tired of it in April.  Good job.   

• Thanks 1

Checking out the local radar, there’s an obvious moisture stream coming into the area from the north.  That’s definitely not our typical bread and butter northwesterly flow around here, but it’s keeping the flakes going even down here in the valley, so it’s certainly supplying a level of moisture.  This is presumably the type of snowfall activity that the models have been showing to hang around through as Winter Storm Eartha departs.  The models that are catching it well suggest this sort of stuff hangs around for roughly another 24 hours.

06DEC20A.gif

Just took a ride around Newfound Lake.  Green grass where most people live but climb 500 foot hills around the lake it is a winter wonderland.  With so much water content in this snow and a low sun angle the "haves" will have long lasting snowcover while the "have nots" will have to wait.  Still no power and can't see graphics.  Any snow chances coming up for NNE?

21 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just took a ride around Newfound Lake.  Green grass where most people live but climb 500 foot hills around the lake it is a winter wonderland.  With so much water content in this snow and a low sun angle the "haves" will have long lasting snowcover while the "have nots" will have to wait.  Still no power and can't see graphics.  Any snow chances coming up for NNE?

There's the possibility of a weak clipper-type system moving through Wednesday night...but we're talking really insignificant stuff (coating to 1" deal) for most of us. I'm sure the usual suspects in VT will come in with somewhat higher totals. After that, things look dicey again heading into next weekend with all three globals showing a cutter. The Canadian seems most favorable for some frozen/freezing stuff on the front end as it implies somewhat deeper CAD than the other models - we shall see. Proper cold air returns in the wake of whatever happens next weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It has been cranking wind and snow all morning but I think it’s being blown into NH by this wind.

40-50mph gusts at times in the base area coming out of the Notch.

Interesting that it's been so windy out your way! Our wind was cranking last night, but it dropped off pretty dramatically around daybreak and it's been a relatively calm morning over here. I suspect we may be getting some form of blocking from the Presidentials - definitely still getting to know the local climate of this area.

Still holding at 25F with overcast skies and a few flurries flying around. A proper winter day with the snow-caked trees adding to the ambiance.

Ended up with a little more than 1” on the roof of my car. Didn’t drive it yesterday so that surface stayed cold and was the first place that started accumulating. Pain in the ass scraping it off this morning so my wife could runs an errand. Doors and windows pretty iced up.  At least it’s a wintry look for a few days. 

AAD49E55-C6F8-49C2-A72C-9BCD98E90F82.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I wish I could post a video... this wind is nuts.  Little kids blowing through the base village like tumbleweeds and parents running after them.

There are some gusts here but nothing epic. Some nice light snow falling now at 20 degrees. Very wintry day. Basically localized to Randolph Hill. Other nearby areas have basically nothing, which is just nuts to me. 

Just now, alex said:

12.2" measured a couple of hours ago here and light snow falling

I've been wondering how things transpired on the other side of Crawford Notch! It looked like the heavier echoes were having a hard time getting into your area for the synoptic portion of the event. I'm assuming the bulk of that accumulation was in the post-storm upslope stage, as we suspected would likely be the case.

10 minutes ago, jculligan said:

I've been wondering how things transpired on the other side of Crawford Notch! It looked like the heavier echoes were having a hard time getting into your area for the synoptic portion of the event. I'm assuming the bulk of that accumulation was in the post-storm upslope stage, as we suspected would likely be the case.

Hmm that may just be a radar thing. We had really heavy snow yesterday evening. Just ask Diane lol

• Like 1

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.02” L.E.

We’ve generally had light snowfall all morning, but the flakes have been quite small and thus accumulation has been relatively slow.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 28.4 F

Sky: Light snow (1 to 2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: Trace

24 minutes ago, jculligan said:

I saw that too but dendrite said it was just the Presidentials blocking the beam from GYX. 

55 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Any snow chances coming up for NNE?

29 minutes ago, jculligan said:

There's the possibility of a weak clipper-type system moving through Wednesday night...but we're talking really insignificant stuff (coating to 1" deal) for most of us.

I had done a quick look through the models to see what was coming in the next week, and it looks like there are 3 to 4 chances to talk about.  There’s this current system that the models suggest would be providing snow for roughly the next 24 hours, and then there’s some mid to late week potential as jc noted.  Some model runs have shown that as two pulses, but most seem to show it as one long period of snow.  That would run over a couple days though, so it could be a reasonably snowy period, but we’ll have to see how that trends as we move forward.  The final chances would be out toward next weekend with a potential synoptic system.  As currently modeled, the snow to consider there would be front side and back side snow because we’d be in the warm sector for part of that system.

That pace of systems right now seems pretty normal, but only the shortwave period around midweek is really typical bread and butter stuff.  Today’s snow is from that northerly flow, although I do see on the radar that it’s beginning to acquire a bit more westerly component, and then the modeling for the next weekend timeframe has the bulk of the snow potential to the west of this area until the storm passes.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jculligan said:

I think that entire northern shelf of the Presidentials was getting good NE flow mid-level lift over top NW surface flow.  That veering combo is why 10-15” fell in those areas.

You can tell when it really started to crank and it coincided with a 7pm increase in NW surface winds at HIE/BML and a temp drop.  Temps started gusting 20+ mph and temps fell with CAA, while they maxed out on mid-level lift/banding.

I find that combo here in the Greens is what really crushes the ski areas.  NW low level upslope flow underneath mid-level banding.