• Member Statistics

    16,256
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    TuggHillRosato
    Newest Member
    TuggHillRosato
    Joined
paweather

Central PA 2020 Fall - The Hope begins

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, canderson said:

I’m thinking of buying this new weather station - WeatherFlow Tempest - and mounting to my garage roof. 

https://weatherflow.com/tempest-weather-system/

That's quite an intriguing weather station. A bit pricey, but if it's accurate, then it's worth it. Mine is due to be replaced (once I have discretionary funds again) and I would definitely consider this one. If you get it, please let us know how it performs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

That's quite an intriguing weather station. A bit pricey, but if it's accurate, then it's worth it. Mine is due to be replaced (once I have discretionary funds again) and I would definitely consider this one. If you get it, please let us know how it performs.

Will do. I need to look and see if mounting it is worthwhile - it won’t be too far from a structure (city livin’ ftw). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, canderson said:

I’m thinking of buying this new weather station - WeatherFlow Tempest - and mounting to my garage roof. 

https://weatherflow.com/tempest-weather-system/

A new WRF.

Hyper-Local Forecasting

Our forecast system initializes with the ECMWF, the highly acclaimed European global forecast model, the best of NOAA’s forecast models and WeatherFlow’s own in-house modeling suite . Over key areas, WeatherFlow’s operational forecast system (WF WRF) assimilates the most valuable observations into this powerful baseline to provide detailed regional forecasts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

A new WRF.

Hyper-Local Forecasting

Our forecast system initializes with the ECMWF, the highly acclaimed European global forecast model, the best of NOAA’s forecast models and WeatherFlow’s own in-house modeling suite . Over key areas, WeatherFlow’s operational forecast system (WF WRF) assimilates the most valuable observations into this powerful baseline to provide detailed regional forecasts.

 

It’s really interesting- solar power is a bit worrying for winter months but eh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, canderson said:

It’s really interesting- solar power is a bit worrying for winter months but eh.

You will have people on here waiting for updates from "your model blend".  I would bet there is a way to hook up aux power if wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

 

I "only" reached 82 - fully expected to be blown away by Canderson, but what's up with Bubbler blowin' right on by me? 

I am a bit south of you :-).  We made 84 for our high. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Sunday:

Canderson: 90

Bubbler: 88

Maytown: 66 (sitting inside looking out the window waiting for a cold front)

Bubbler will be in the low to mid 90's Sunday...in Bradenton Florida. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, canderson said:

Will do. I need to look and see if mounting it is worthwhile - it won’t be too far from a structure (city livin’ ftw). 

I spent considerable time researching this station shortly after it was first announced and was really intrigued by the whole thing. However, if you read the forums you'll see mounting can be a bit complicated due to needing to make sure there's no vibration getting to the unit. Why? Because vibrations can apparently be mistaken for rain due to the sensors used to detect rainfall.

My place vibrates enough to trigger some motion activated lights when a bus goes by. So for me the Weatherflow was a no-go.

Also, any birds deciding to land on it could possibly be detected as rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kerplunk said:

I spent considerable time researching this station shortly after it was first announced and was really intrigued by the whole thing. However, if you read the forums you'll see mounting can be a bit complicated due to needing to make sure there's no vibration getting to the unit. Why? Because vibrations can apparently be mistaken for rain due to the sensors used to detect rainfall.

My place vibrates enough to trigger some motion activated lights when a bus goes by. So for me the Weatherflow was a no-go.

Also, any birds deciding to land on it could possibly be detected as rain.

So we should all feed the birds more to put an end to this drought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kerplunk said:

I spent considerable time researching this station shortly after it was first announced and was really intrigued by the whole thing. However, if you read the forums you'll see mounting can be a bit complicated due to needing to make sure there's no vibration getting to the unit. Why? Because vibrations can apparently be mistaken for rain due to the sensors used to detect rainfall.

My place vibrates enough to trigger some motion activated lights when a bus goes by. So for me the Weatherflow was a no-go.

Also, any birds deciding to land on it could possibly be detected as rain.

With a very active railroad line less than a football field away from my house, it might be a no go for me as well, if that's true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

With a very active railroad line less than a football field away from my house, it might be a no go for me as well, if that's true.

Keep in mind this was early in their product cycle, so it may have been addressed with subsequent updates. But certainly worth checking out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, canderson said:

I’m thinking of buying this new weather station - WeatherFlow Tempest - and mounting to my garage roof. 

https://weatherflow.com/tempest-weather-system/

I'm going to answer this publicly.

Pros:

  • Affordable, it's roughly $300, but with the one time code Tempest10off you save 10% so you can up the shipping to get it quicker and it still comes out to around $300.
  • Ships quick. Purchased on a Monday, got it on a Friday. Had it set up that day.
  • Easy to install. All you need is a 1 inch pipe to mount it flush with a fence post. The directions are on their website. Sighting of the instrument is as you would any other weather station.
  • Easy to deploy. The station starts reporting within 3 minutes of being turned on. You can make a profile on wunderground and push the data there or to a personal website. The first day or two the data may be inconsistent, but within a week it'll sort itself out.
  • There's a smart phone app so you know what the weather is like at your house and you can integrate it with certain smart home features. Nest is not yet one of them.
  • Wind and temperature are highly accurate. We haven't had rain here yet so I can't talk to that.

Cons:

  • Their predictive weather algorithm is terrible. It's never been right, but I have NWS et al so I don't care.
  • There is not long term storage of historical data (IE: highest temp, lowest temp, etc.). I've submitted that as a request for enhancement.
  • There is no physical display that you can mount on a wall or a countertop. You have to use your phone or PC to view the data. I've submitted that as a request for enhancement.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I'm going to answer this publicly.

 

Cons:

  • Their predictive weather algorithm is terrible. It's never been right, but I have NWS et al so I don't care.

What?  A wrf that is not right?  Who would have thunk it. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.