• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

1 minute ago, paweather said:

Looks like the line of Lake Effect Fake Rain is headed to Bubbler house. I am missing it to my west.

Even to our west it doesn't look overly impressive. There are a few cells that look decent but so far, overall it looks kind of meh. 

There is a 2nd area forming further east behind the first "line" that might target our area later on. 

13 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Even to our west it doesn't look overly impressive. There are a few cells that look decent but so far, overall it looks kind of meh. 

There is a 2nd area forming further east behind the first "line" that might target our area later on. 

Ive just got that feeling that atleast my area aint gonna see shit :(

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yep agreed. Maybe the 2nd line. 

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yea, we will be measuring in the 1/1000th again. 

2 hours ago, Voyager said:

Well, since this proved to be (so far) the most boring Severe Thunderstorm Watch I've seen in a long time, I figured I'd share the latest addition to my wardrobe... 

Same here haha, just a light shower this afternoon. The local storms did the ole Tamaqua Split™ and left me with yet another day of misses. Most of the action seemed to drop through western PA. Hope you have a speedy recovery from your surgery. 

13 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

So the question becomes why are the leaves changing colors at this pace in August?   The drought is worse than it is being played up by NWS for some but is there something else causing it?

I think it's just the timing of the dry weather kick starting the process in some of the earlier turning trees, which has now lasted into the late summer pretty close to when things traditionally start turning. Like I said before, the majority of trees are still green.. but some areas you can see the scattered colors. I snagged a pic of this on the back road a few miles away. 

4ECF3B46-B525-4122-A1C9-BA06CC9EDA6A.thumb.jpeg.8933c913db590df68639f075281c21b9.jpeg

20 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

I think it's just the timing of the dry weather kick starting the process in some of the earlier turning trees, which has now lasted into the late summer pretty close to when things traditionally start turning. Like I said before, the majority of trees are still green.. but some areas you can see the scattered colors. I snagged a pic of this on the back road a few miles away. 

That is pretty advanced coloring on that one tree. 

11 hours ago, canderson said:

FWIW my family isn't evacuating - they live between Houston and Galveston and then about 8 miles east of Galveston itself. 

Most model consensus has been focusing near that TX/LA border region for landfall, with the EC ensemble mean having been running uncomfortably close to the Galveston/Houston region. Looks like the 18z Euro ensemble cluster shifted east a bit from 12z, putting the mean near the border region. Galveston/Houston is probably going to get at least a piece of this hurricane but hopefully staying on the west side of the storm will mitigate storm surge issues some in that area. It seems Port Arthur is most under the gun attm in terms of any bigger town, but the storm making a landfall up that coastline toward the border would generally be a plus because there is not much at all on that stretch population wise and even that immediate corridor inland this storm is likely to take is pretty rural. What could be significantly impacted on that forecast track is oil infrastructure, especially with a major hurricane which is what Laura is likely to be at that stage. The new 18z Euro op has it coming in at 945mb. 

19 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Most model consensus has been focusing near that TX/LA border region for landfall, with the EC ensemble mean having been running uncomfortably close to the Galveston/Houston region. Looks like the 18z Euro ensemble cluster shifted east a bit from 12z, putting the mean near the border region. Galveston/Houston is probably going to get at least a piece of this hurricane but hopefully staying on the west side of the storm will mitigate storm surge issues some in that area. It seems Port Arthur is most under the gun attm in terms of any bigger town, but the storm making a landfall up that coastline toward the border would generally be a plus because there is not much at all on that stretch population wise and even that immediate corridor inland this storm is likely to take is pretty rural. What could be significantly impacted on that forecast track is oil infrastructure, especially with a major hurricane which is what Laura is likely to be at that stage. The new 18z Euro op has it coming in at 945mb. 

The issue there is it’s nothing but oil refineries. Nearly all gas comes from the PA / Texas City area. 

9 hours ago, canderson said:

The issue there is it’s nothing but oil refineries. Nearly all gas comes from the PA / Texas City area. 

HWRF keeps making it a strong Cat 4 at landfall.   Might be overstated but the times a situation like this has turned into Rapid Intensification seems countless over the last few decades. 

Quietly back at home, a potentially active period of severe weather (especially for late August) is in store for parts of PA, with at least a slight risk of severe storms each of the next 3 days at least. CTP is really ramping up wording for tomorrow for those north of I-80 and to the east of IPT. Winds greater than 75 mph, hail larger than 2", and a few tornadoes of EF2 or stronger are all possible. 

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Quietly back at home, a potentially active period of severe weather (especially for late August) is in store for parts of PA, with at least a slight risk of severe storms each of the next 3 days at least. CTP is really ramping up wording for tomorrow for those north of I-80 and to the east of IPT. Winds greater than 75 mph, hail larger than 2", and a few tornadoes of EF2 or stronger are all possible. 

NE Pa gets Nam'ed tomorrow qpf wise.  

10 minutes ago, paweather5 said:

Going to make everyone’s morning a little better. We have hope haha. 

Well, get ready. The "Farmers' Almanac" is predicting a possible blizzard for the mid-Atlantic and Northeast states in February. It could deliver a foot or two of snow.

BEACC782-A705-445A-B528-3A529E30A542.jpeg

I would actually sign for this in a heartbeat.  Normal never sounded so appealing did it??

30 minutes ago, paweather5 said:

Going to make everyone’s morning a little better. We have hope haha. 

Well, get ready. The "Farmers' Almanac" is predicting a possible blizzard for the mid-Atlantic and Northeast states in February. It could deliver a foot or two of snow.

BEACC782-A705-445A-B528-3A529E30A542.jpeg

At least FA captured all the weather for us in this prediction. LOL