• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat

23 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Your post sounds similar to @Blizzard of 93 who thinks the MDT airport measurements are very often wrong. I think most of us on the Eastern half of the state at least verified today if not over achieved.  Forecast high at MDT was 98 as of now but I think it was set lower this AM and it is 96 right now.  

Our forecast was for 92-93, only hit 89.  I can't tell you how many times a forecasted high was in the 90s and we stop at 89.  If we hit 90 three times out of the next week, I'll be surprised.  We definitely won't make it tomorrow, since we're forecast at 89-90.  87 is my guess.  Even with very dry conditions and pretty low dew points the temperature still didn't soar, lol.

A few years ago (2015 I think) the device was upgraded and was initially set too high I believe, and was thus corrected, but I wonder if it was overcorrected.  Personally, I think having the weather station at the airport, so far out of the city limits is ridiculous.  The temperature in downtown was 93 today.  The device shouldn't be in downtown, but within the city limits shouldn't be a crazy idea.

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

Our forecast was for 92-93, only hit 89.  I can't tell you how many times a forecasted high was in the 90s and we stop at 89.  If we hit 90 three times out of the next week, I'll be surprised.  We definitely won't make it tomorrow, since we're forecast at 89-90.  87 is my guess.  Even with very dry conditions and pretty low dew points the temperature still didn't soar, lol.

A few years ago (2015 I think) the device was upgraded and was initially set too high I believe, and was thus corrected, but I wonder if it was overcorrected.  Personally, I think having the weather station at the airport, so far out of the city limits is ridiculous.  The temperature in downtown was 93 today.  The device shouldn't be in downtown, but within the city limits shouldn't be a crazy idea.

Yea.  I think the best bet is to take your own measurements and record those vs. worry about the airport.  

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Your post sounds similar to @Blizzard of 93 who thinks the MDT airport measurements are very often wrong. I think most of us on the Eastern half of the state at least verified today if not over achieved.  Forecast high at MDT was 98 as of now but I think it was set lower this AM and it is 96 right now.  

Lol!

I only think that they measure snow wrong when MDT records less snow than my yard!

The interesting thing about this run of hot weather so far is we are achieving widespread 90+ on what has been a generally a pretty solid northerly flow the last few days. The good thing about that is the source region is obviously much drier than a more typical southerly or southwesterly flow would be with drawing the humidity from the south. The result is MDT at 93ºF currently with a 56ºF dew point (29% humidity) and a heat index value of only 91ºF.. for instance. So it's certainly a stretch of hot weather but it definitely could be worse. I suspect humidity will be increasing the next few days as flow reverses, which could help for more thunderstorm chances. We'll still be in the same hot weather regime with similar temps in the 90s, so as humidity goes up we may see some air quality/heat related headlines needed for the urban areas in the Sus Valley. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Went for a drive today and it’s beginning to look similar here. Not as bad of course, we had that rain 2 Friday’s ago that really helped us, but it’s gonna get worse. 

Some people also have their mower deck set too low.  Scalps the grass and makes it look beat up even in the best of times.

8 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Lol that storm that's been sitting mostly over Gettysburg is basically thumbing it's nose at @Cashtown_Coop's toasted backyard.. though looks like it's trying to reach there.  

I’ve been watching.    Would much rather have it back build to the course and give me a break from watering.   

20 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

@sauss06

My family went to Dairy Queen in Summerdale last night around sunset. We were treated to a local fireworks show that appeared to be launched from several yards in the area! I was wondering if you were one of those putting on a fireworks show from your yard?

Negative. I don't waste my money on them, besides, its way to dry.

12 hours ago, canderson said:

Hit 98 in my backyard. It’s miserable but we are fortunate it’s not humid (that should change Tuesday.)

The pool water was 85, but still felt refreshing. 

Went from the pool to a townhouse fire, i think i lost 5 pounds sweating :wacko2:

so, how many 90 degree days will we string together? Will we break the record, which i think is 11 in a row?

On 7/4/2020 at 9:42 AM, canderson said:

MDT has a very good chance to hit 90+ consecutively for at least 10 days. That’s gotta he pretty rare - once or so a season at most.

I think i heard the last time we had 10 or more days in a row of 90 or better was 1999. I'm usually incorrect so i may have misunderstood what i heard. 

I was off last week. I would work on projects around my place for 6 hours (usually 6am-noon), then spend the rest of the day at my sisters next door, swimming and drinking beer. Friday i was painting the trim on my shed. By 9am i said screw this, the heat was drying my brush out. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sauss06 said:

I think i heard the last time we had 10 or more days in a row of 90 or better was 1999. I'm usually incorrect so i may have misunderstood what i heard. 

I was off last week. I would work on projects around my place for 6 hours (usually 6am-noon), then spend the rest of the day at my sisters next door, swimming and drinking beer. Friday i was painting the trim on my shed. By 9am i said screw this, the heat was drying my brush out. 

The longest stretch of 90+ days for Harrisburg is indeed 11 (July 21 to Aug. 1, 1999). Friday will be the closest day we don't crack 90 (although it looks like it'll still be predicted) so if it does we'll likely tie then break the record Sunday. 

• Like 1