Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,188
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Itryatgolf70
    Newest Member
    Itryatgolf70
    Joined

Central PA Summer 2020: Hoping The Heat Makes a Hasty Retreat


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Unofficial again as my equipment is amateurish, which is why I frequently use a neighboring weather station to report, but we are about 6" behind  for May and June.  Average (whatever that means anymore) for May and June is about 9"or so and we have not broken 3" total for the last 7 weeks. Just bad timing at the start of growing season.  MDT was in the same boat entering June but has had a good 5" of rain this month so far.  I realize most of the LSV is not facing the same predicament. 

 

 

I was curious what MDT was at for the month but too lazy to look it up. Adding up my totals and I'm at 6.14" for June.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Adding May and June it looks like MDT is about 2" below normal during that period.  You may be near your norm for that period with that much rain this month.  

Probably right. June has been very interesting...I would characterize the month as having a lot of sunny days yet we've had measurable rainfall on more than half the days that I've been home. I know it was dry here while I was in NC but it's rained 5 days this past week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Basically 2 chances for rain this week - Wednesday and Saturday PM. Other than that...the wet people dry out and the dry folks get...drier. 

I guess it would make sense for our year of 2020 to have storms on July 4th to ruin fireworks. I know we need the rain but hoping at least not on the 4th. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, paweather said:

I guess it would make sense for our year of 2020 to have storms on July 4th to ruin fireworks. I know we need the rain but hoping at least not on the 4th. 

Seems like a frontal passage followed by a brief reprieve of lower temp and dews before the real heat kicks in. Not sure the entire 4th will be a wash but it could be active for a time. 

It's also 5 days out - things could speed up or slow down. Or...it might not produce anything. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Seems like a frontal passage followed by a brief reprieve of lower temp and dews before the real heat kicks in. Not sure the entire 4th will be a wash but it could be active for a time. 

It's also 5 days out - things could speed up or slow down. Or...it might not produce anything. :) 

Yah! Exactly....I'm sure with the heat coming anything is possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 GFS Spins up a minor Surface Low off the SE coast and the interaction between it and the dying ULL low over New England allows for some decent rains Wednesday in and around the LSV and East.  And this is after some bonus rain tomorrow. 

 

Edit-The Euro will have none of that nonsense though.  Basically no rain for all of PA, except the far east,  through July 10. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2020 at 2:09 AM, Cashtown_Coop said:

Almost 5” more than me.  You’ve been lucky.   

Well all the guidance I just looked at suggests today is now our better shot for rain out this far west.    HRR, NAM, GFS all bring showers "around" this afternoon.   Tomorrow's rains all shoot by to the east or south now.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Well all the guidance I just looked at suggests today is now our better shot for rain out this far west.    HRR, NAM, GFS all bring showers "around" this afternoon.   Tomorrow's rains all shoot by to the east or south now.   

 

43 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

:thumbsdown:

In other words...you're going to be extremely lucky to see rain on either day. Showers are popping now over eastern PA, and unless something changes rather significantly, they're not getting anywhere close to either of you. (or me)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

 

In other words...you're going to be extremely lucky to see rain on either day. Showers are popping now over eastern PA, and unless something changes rather significantly, they're not getting anywhere close to either of you. (or me)

The Cashtown/Bubbler dry gulch express struck out today.  We did just receive the notice from our water company stating that watering the lawn is no longer allowed due to forecast drought conditions.    So like last year the midnight sprinkler guy will be coming to my yard.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

The Cashtown/Bubbler dry gulch express struck out today.  We did just receive the notice from our water company stating that watering the lawn is no longer allowed due to forecast drought conditions.    So like last year the midnight sprinkler guy will be coming to my yard.

 

 

 

 

My yard is as green as it gets during the summer...we'll see how long it takes to dry out. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, look out...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Boy, all signs are indeed pointing to an old fashioned heat wave next week.  Euro is still very hot Friday (GFS is not) but both models bring the goods next week.  Definitely potential for some 100's.   NWS used "ring of fire" in their AFD.

It's going to be a great week for the guy who loves bitter cold more than anyone to be in a state park cabin with no air conditioning.  :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Boy, all signs are indeed pointing to an old fashioned heat wave next week.  Euro is still very hot Friday (GFS is not) but both models bring the goods next week.  Definitely potential for some 100's.   NWS used "ring of fire" in their AFD.

Yeah saw that yesterday.  Ugh...

my lawn is already showing stress....new grass especially.  Bummer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It's going to be a great week for the guy who loves bitter cold more than anyone to be in a state park cabin with no air conditioning.  :(

That's on you for camping during the dead of summer. The best camping weather is ... well, never cause camping to me is a hotel where the doors open directly to the outside. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We are all getting old and very worried about our grass.  LOL.  Get off my grass!

 

 

My wife just shakes her head as its been my new toy for a while now.  Im trying to do it w/o phosphates and all of the bad bay stuff.  Couple that w/ 3 shallow rock beds....I lose every year.  Boy did it look nice in early June though.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

My wife just shakes her head as its been my new toy for a while now.  Im trying to do it w/o phosphates and all of the bad bay stuff.  Couple that w/ 3 shallow rock beds....I lose every year.  Boy did it look nice in early June though.    

Early May for us "dried up" folks out west but yes it looked great for a while with the wet and cool weather. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, canderson said:

That's on you for camping during the dead of summer. The best camping weather is ... well, never cause camping to me is a hotel where the doors open directly to the outside. :)

Sure is...doing this for the family. Most of our trips are things I like to do...this is what happens when I give in to what others want. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...