• Member Statistics

    16,251
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Mindlesssheep
    Newest Member
    Mindlesssheep
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
joshwx2003

April 12 Severe Event

Recommended Posts

I wonder if they can only do the lower bound of DOD10 without a review to determine the actual wind speed. 
 

More info from a friend: EF4 and above and they typically need to call in a Special team to make the final determination. That would explain the lower bound usage and why it’s being checked again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JasonOH said:

I wonder if they can only do the lower bound of DOD10 without a review to determine the actual wind speed. 

I think to go DOD10 upper bound, they have to bring in another team to survey it. Maybe some local engineers as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bob's Burgers said:

 

I can't elaborate on much right now, but from the info I have, there is some very interesting stuff going on behind the scenes at JAN regarding the final rating. All I can say for now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cheese007 said:

Some folks have no self preservation instinct it seems

Very true but those people have the most incredible videos. As long as they understand the risk then that is their choice.

I watched this video this old guy filmed. It was the most amazing video i've ever seen, not sure where it was taken but it shows a tornado come directly over his house. Unfortunately it killed his wife but somehow he was relatively ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

108 confirmed tornadoes and counting. If this had happened last decade it would be in the top 10 largest outbreaks. Pretty incredible for "only" a mod risk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LansingWeather said:

Very true but those people have the most incredible videos. As long as they understand the risk then that is their choice.

I watched this video this old guy filmed. It was the most amazing video i've ever seen, not sure where it was taken but it shows a tornado come directly over his house. Unfortunately it killed his wife but somehow he was relatively ok.


I think your talking about this video. Taken in Fairfield, IL in April 2015. An amazing video but also sobering knowing what happened 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Snowstorm920 said:


I think your talking about this video. Taken in Fairfield, IL in April 2015. An amazing video but also sobering knowing what happened 

Yes that one! Tragic, but wow was that an awesome video. Would be better if someone placed the camera then went for safety though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snowstorm920 said:


I think your talking about this video. Taken in Fairfield, IL in April 2015. An amazing video but also sobering knowing what happened 

That is insane. He had 2 mins to get ready for this thing and just stood 2nd level of his house to record. What level tornado is that? Had to be violent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Just came across some of the worst tree damage I think I have ever seen. Supposedly from Bassville. 

 

EVryhQ6XgAAnkhm.jpg

 

Compare with Smithville: image0.png

 

and El Reno '11

 image0.png

 

Holy crap. That first pic. That is some of the most high-end tree damage I have ever seen photographed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That is insane. He had 2 mins to get ready for this thing and just stood 2nd level of his house to record. What level tornado is that? Had to be violent?

This tornado was rated at the upper bound of EF-4 (200 MPH). It’s debated whether it should have gotten rated as an EF-5. It was definitely capable of producing that level of damage. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hlcater said:

Just came across some of the worst tree damage I think I have ever seen. Supposedly from Bassville. 

 

EVryhQ6XgAAnkhm.jpg

 

Compare with Smithville: image0.png

 

and El Reno '11

 image0.png

 

That’s insane! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all! I've been following this forum for some time and this thread in particular from the start of it. Just decided to sign up. What I can say is this is likely one of the most severe tornado outbreaks I've followed since I got interested in severe weather. It's really sobering to see the devastation and loss of life that's occurred as a result. Thank you all for posting your thoughts and updates before/during/after this event. Regarding the tornadoes themselves, I don't know if I've seen a more prolific nighttime QLCS in the past several years, and those monster tornadoes in Mississippi were a sight to behold on radar and on the ground.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.