• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

8 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I disagree.  Hand sanitizer is around every turn.  I use it a dozen times a day (just out of habit now).  There are probably 50 hand sanitization stations in my work place.  It's at the entrance to every store.  Peoples hands are probably the cleanest they've ever been.  All I see everywhere are people cleaning their hands.    If anything I feel like people are completely underestimating normal talking, that's what is spreading this.  Not coughing, not sneezing, just regular old conversation.  

Yet how many people are cleaning their hands after eating in a restaurant and then touching the door handle on the way out? What about before and after they hand their credit card to the server at the drive-though? Remember, only thousands of C19 viruses are needed to infect, yet tens of millions can be on small surfaces and survive for days - especially hard, smooth surfaces (e.g., credit cards and door handles). It's really just logic.

3 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Yet how many people are cleaning their hands after eating in a restaurant and then touching the door handle on the way out? What about before and after they hand their credit card to the server at the drive-though? Remember, only thousands of C19 viruses are needed to infect, yet tens of millions can be on small surfaces and survive for days - especially hard, smooth surfaces (e.g., credit cards and door handles).

You could be right, but I'm a confessed germaphobe so its hard for me to tell how a normal person behaves.  Every scenario you mentioned makes my skin crawl.  I was a germaphobe long before this pandemic and would certainly wash or sanitize my hands after every scenario you listed (or at least be cognizant of it and wash my hands at the next available opportunity.)  Maybe thats just me..... and if it is, then the rest of the world is gross and needs to step up their game.  

I joked when this pandemic started that now everyone gets to feel the way I feel everyday, lol.  I've been training my whole life for this..

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

You could be right, but I'm a confessed germaphobe so its hard for me to tell how a normal person behaves.  Every scenario you mentioned makes my skin crawl.  I was a germaphobe long before this pandemic and would certainly wash or sanitize my hands after every scenario you listed (or at least be cognizant of it and wash my hands at the next available opportunity.)  Maybe thats just me..... and if it is, then the rest of the world is gross and needs to step up their game.  

I joked when this pandemic started that now everyone gets to feel the way I feel everyday, lol.  I've been training my whole life for this..

Lol, I kinda am too (I still wipe down my groceries with an alcohol wipe) and don't mean to introduce fear!! I just wish people would consider what they are touching - even in a 'normal' year. Yes, the rest of the world is gross...haha.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

My dad is the most unhygienic person on the planet and I've never seen him sick. 

13 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Treatment at the beginning of the pandemic was terrible, deaths are declining while cases increase. The virus is not nearly as deadly as once thought. Regeneron helps reduce viral load in patients. 

https://www.biospace.com/article/covid-19-by-the-numbers-mortality-rates-in-u-s-decrease-despite-uptick-in-cases/

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/regeneron-says-its-covid-19-antibody-treatment-cut-medical-visits-n1245197

The most recent data (from the week ending October 10) showed excess deaths only 0 and 2.9 percent higher than historic data.

A look at the data shows that excess deaths peaked the week ending April 11, with 35.6% to 40.6% more deaths than usual, then began a downward trajectory through June 20, when the incidence of COVID-19 rose in Sunbelt states after declining in the North and Northeast.

This is encouraging to see. It will be interesting to see how this progresses over the next month or so to include all the new cases. If excess deaths hold steady - that would be really encouraging - and with a vaccine on the way for EUA next month, our most vulnerable populations can start to breath a sigh of relief. Any data for Europe as well?

36 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Treatment at the beginning of the pandemic was terrible, deaths are declining while cases increase. The virus is not nearly as deadly as once thought. Regeneron helps reduce viral load in patients. 

https://www.biospace.com/article/covid-19-by-the-numbers-mortality-rates-in-u-s-decrease-despite-uptick-in-cases/

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/regeneron-says-its-covid-19-antibody-treatment-cut-medical-visits-n1245197

The most recent data (from the week ending October 10) showed excess deaths only 0 and 2.9 percent higher than historic data.

A look at the data shows that excess deaths peaked the week ending April 11, with 35.6% to 40.6% more deaths than usual, then began a downward trajectory through June 20, when the incidence of COVID-19 rose in Sunbelt states after declining in the North and Northeast.

Thanks for this.  I've really been wondering what the excess deaths have been in the past month or 2.  

• Like 1

Cuomo just launched a new covid traveling requirement.

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Gov. Andrew Cuomo today eliminated the ever-growing quarantine travel list with a new testing requirement for those entering New York from other states.

Instead, all people entering New York will have to bring proof of a negative coronavirus test, Cuomo said. That test must be within three days of coming into the state.

The traveler must then quarantine for three days. On the fourth day, the traveler must get another test.

Once that second test comes back negative, the person is no longer quarantined, he said.

If traveler doesn’t get tested, then he or she must quarantine 14 days after arriving in New York -- no matter where they come from, Cuomo said.

People who leave the state for just 24 hours will follow a different requirement, Cuomo said.

For those shorter trips, the person must get a negative test within four days after returning to New York, he said.

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/10/cuomo-replaces-quarantine-travel-list-with-new-testing-rules-for-travelers-entering-ny.html?utm_campaign=syracusedotcom_sf&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR0PITterJcGVoHt12ZPqtLRH7JyWJgjKlF5Rd6BGNP-v3x0OuNpApBC_c8

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I actually prefer this. Can travel anywhere, take a test a few days before and be good to go once I land. It beats having to quarantine for 2 weeks, it's only 3 days now.

With cases rising, don't be surprised if he will revised it back to 14 days. 

Trump administration is so desperate lol Trying to suppress votes every where which is a typical Republican move lol Trump himself has said if everyone voted we would never have a Republican president lol

He's planning to call it after tomorrow night even though several states will still be county mail-in ballots (presumably democratic)..Trump has already said that he will send his lawyers into PA after the election, trying to overturn the supreme court ruling, allowing mail-in ballots counted for 3 days after the election..

25 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Trump administration is so desperate lol Trying to suppress votes every where which is a typical Republican move lol Trump himself has said if everyone voted we would never have a Republican president lol

He's planning to call it after tomorrow night even though several states will still be county mail-in ballots (presumably democratic)..Trump has already said that he will send his lawyers into PA after the election, trying to overturn the supreme court ruling, allowing mail-in ballots counted for 3 days after the election..

I knew he tried to throw out 110k+ Texas drive thru ballots but I heard that was declined by the courts? 

• Like 1

The hearing is scheduled for today but they did kinda win in Texas, only 1 drop box allowed in each county, Harris county for example has nearly 5 million people lol It also sounds like the mail is "behind" in certain swing states, if it doesn't make it to election officials in time, it won't count..

According to the NY times over 300 lawsuits have been filed..

There have been over 300 lawsuits, in 44 states, over voting rules.

In almost every instance in the ongoing struggle over voting rights, Democrats are trying to make it easier for Americans to cast ballots, and Republicans are trying to make it harder.

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

According to the NY times over 300 lawsuits have been filed..

There have been over 300 lawsuits, in 44 states, over voting rules.

In almost every instance in the ongoing struggle over voting rights, Democrats are trying to make it easier for Americans to cast ballots, and Republicans are trying to make it harder.

How many lawsuits are average for elections? Is this a first time occurrence due to Trump being in office? 

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

How many lawsuits are average for elections? Is this a first time occurrence due to Trump being in office? 

394 in 2018. I’m not surprised there are so many year. The right and left couldn’t be further apart...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/lawsuits-over-voting-rules-coming-down-to-the-wire-11597432606

• Thanks 2

The president big plan here is to call the race early and declare himself the winner even before the election is called..PA for example have over 2 million mail in ballots to process starting tomorrow AM..If the Republicans run to the polls it's going to look like trump is leading in most swing states without all the votes tallied..

They have even called it "stealing the election" if they continue to count after tomorrow lol

19 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Just hit over 100 million early votes, 30 million away from 2016 totals..

Everybody at my office who has voted this morning, including myself, has commented about how many more people were at the polls than usual (all before 7am).  Factor in all the mail-in ballots and this could be interesting.....

• Like 2

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic